Gangs of New York

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Gangs of New York

Postby OldToeSave » 04 Sep 2003, 11:42

I can't help but feel that this film was inspired in part by Hamlet. It's as if they used the tragedy as a template and then freed themselves to create an epic New York story. Dead father and revengeful child haunted by ghosts of inaction. In fact, this thought first struck me just after Caprio saves the Butcher's life....not sure why....maybe it was reminiscent of the "Now I'll do it...thus am I revenged" soliloquay (sp?)....but just as I am attempting to draw parallels to Hamlet, the character of Monk (the eventual Sheriff) says to Leo, "That was postively Shakespearean". I think an argument (albeit a weak one) can be made for Diaz's character being loosely based on dear ol' Mumsy as well....

I had heard that this was an overly violent film, but I really didn't find it so. Most of the violence is imagined.

And this guy DD Lewis.....he continues to amaze me....gritty as grit....dirty as dirt.....with an eye as glassy as glass....how on earth did they do that tapping the knife point on his eye scene anyway....so cool....

Now I did have two problems with this film...one minor, the other major....

The minor problem was this quick little scene where Leo tosses the bible into the Hudson (East?)....and then goes on to pray for strength....why the contradiction....was sectarian thought okay as long as it was his very own?

Then I had a big problem with the length of the movie....it was one scene too short....I totally got the allegory that the times had changed and what mattered before did not seem half as important as the new world order. I saw this as the two rivals lay battered by the militaristic onslaught barely able to believe what had happened. But Coppola goes on to make sure that we all get it by montaging the changing NYC skyline ending up with a shot of the twin towers. My question is this....if he is going to make this statement, why didn't he go all the way and continue the montage to show the skyline as it is today?

This is the best movie I have seen since American Beauty and that was the best movie I had seen since Silence of the Lambs.....and like I did with those films, I hereby predict a sweep of 4 of the big 5 Oscars. Sorry Cameron, maybe a nod, but no gold for you.
OldToeSave
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

gangs of ny

Postby harrier » 04 Sep 2003, 12:13

I liked it too. The story really drew me in, but I lived in NY 7 yrs so may have more interest than others in NY history. Seemed a bit long, and the fight scenes are overdone/too bloody, but I would recommend it without hesitation.
harrier

Postby MiakaW » 04 Sep 2003, 12:37

I must agree that it was a great movie and Toe Save, I love American Beauty as well, esp. Kevin Spacey.

I think he was praying to his father for strength. And as the party where he threw away the bible, maybe because he didn't have a good memories while he is growing up so throwing away the bible means to throw away the memories??
MiakaW

Postby OldToeSave » 04 Sep 2003, 12:39

MiakaW wrote:I think he was praying to his father for strength.

Actaully, he was praying to St. Michael. Remember the medallion?
OldToeSave

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Gangs of New York

Postby Alien » 04 Sep 2003, 12:55

Toe Save wrote:This is the best movie I have seen since American Beauty and that was the best movie I had seen since Silence of the Lambs.....and like I did with those films, I hereby predict a sweep of 4 of the big 5 Oscars. Sorry Cameron, maybe a nod, but no gold for you.

First, there's no movie that can compare to the brilliance of Silence of the Lambs except for Fargo. Second, this film was nominated at last year's Oscars and lost out to Chicago. :roll:
And Daniel Day Lewis lost to Adrien Brody.
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby MiakaW » 04 Sep 2003, 13:00

I remember, but was thinking that maybe because of his dad.. hmmmm :roll:
MiakaW

Postby OldToeSave » 04 Sep 2003, 13:03

Alien wrote:First, there's no movie that can compare to the brilliance of Silence of the Lambs except for Fargo. Second, this film was nominated at last year's Oscars and lost out to Chicago. :roll:
And Daniel Day Lewis lost to Adrien Brody.

Fargo was great and I am stoopid....So much for my predictions....but to be fair, I completely clued out to last year's awards....

Love

Toe in Mouth
OldToeSave

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby cake » 04 Sep 2003, 15:35

Toe Save wrote:Then I had a big problem with the length of the movie....it was one scene too short....I totally got the allegory that the times had changed and what mattered before did not seem half as important as the new world order. I saw this as the two rivals lay battered by the militaristic onslaught barely able to believe what had happened. But Coppola goes on to make sure that we all get it by montaging the changing NYC skyline ending up with a shot of the twin towers. My question is this....if he is going to make this statement, why didn't he go all the way and continue the montage to show the skyline as it is today?

Scorsese directed it.

The scorsese version that he gave to the producers was originally something like 40 minutes longer. The producers thought it was too long and cut it. Scorsese wasn't happy. I don't think he has had that done to him before. Hopefully there will be a directors cut sometime soon.

What pissed me off, was that Taiwan had to wait some 8 months or so to see the film. As scorsese is a fave of mine I had to download it from kazaa, I couldn't wait.
"War is just a racket. I helped make Mexico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for international banking in 1909-1912. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested" - Major General Smedley Butler
http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm
cake
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

Location: Dubya - who has borrowed more $$$ than the previous 42 presidents combined
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Comrade Stalin » 04 Sep 2003, 16:02

cake wrote:What pissed me off, was that Taiwan had to wait some 8 months or so to see the film. As scorsese is a fave of mine I had to download it from kazaa, I couldn't wait.

I'm sure Scorsese will be thrilled.......
"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Cold Front » 04 Sep 2003, 21:06

I thought the movie was so-so. The most interesting parts were the wonderful sets that recreated 19th century New York and Daniel Day Lewis's performance.

Unfortunately, Scorsese seems to have become so obsessed with the history of the period that he lost track of the narrative. He crams in so much detail instead of only using what he needed in service to the story. The result is like a beautiful girl with no brains -- a delight to look at, but hell to talk to.
Cold Front

Next

x

Return to Arts & Entertainment