"Jeffu" and new book: MEN AND SEX

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Postby formosa » 26 Sep 2003, 15:41

And as Jeff confessed in his earlier posts above, he has been going through a rough time lately, so let's cut him some slack. He really does champion the expat cause here, and more power to him. I have learned a lot today! GOodnight!
formosa

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Hobart » 27 Sep 2003, 12:44

formosa wrote:My guess, amateur as it is, and totally uninformed, is that Jeffu is running away from his problems in the USA, saw some stuff like this on the Net once a while back, a letter to his mother, and his mom's letter to him, seems that it isn't so much that jeffu could not make in the USA, I think he could make it anywhere, he IS a talented performed and funnyman, and he could make it in USA radio or TV, music TV especially, but I think that in Asia, far from home and family, his gayness is not a problem and his family doesn't even know about it. He doesn't have to come out to them, because he is a star here.

Jeffu studied East Asian Studies in University as did I and I came here not because I couldn't make it in the USA, but because I wanted to come here as is obvious by my choice of majors in University.

I personally can't stand Jeffu's radio voice and his extremely annoying opinions which he shares at every turn (especially his political opinions among others). He also sounds gay to me but that is not why I dislike him as I use to like to listen to Hot Chocolate before he was canned. I honestly have to turn the radio off every time I hear him as it is so painful to listen. However, I wanted to point out his major in University.

I am guessing he most likely came here to further his studies or just to live in the culture that he is enamored with and then he tried out being a DJ. Perhaps he is appealing to the people of Taiwan whose English is poor, but to native or semi-fluent non-native English speakers (my wife) he is toxic.

PS: I posted this before reading all 5 pages of threads. I still feel the same however.
Forumosan avatar
Hobart
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

Postby housecat » 28 Sep 2003, 00:02

I just don't get it. 5 pages of this stuff. I'd never even HEARD of this guy until I saw this thread! Admitedly, I don't watch t.v. or listen to ICRT. I did see his book in the bookstore yesterday. All I can say is that he looks a little, well, Umm,.... Look, my momma said if I didn't have something good to say then I should say noting at all.

But what's the big deal, anyway? If this guy is some kind of self promoting nut making a good living being the most public foreign monkey on the island, what's that to do with me? And if he's a valient crusader for the resident ex-pat and English teacher extrordinare, well great then!

Maybe some of us have a little too much free time.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby fee » 28 Sep 2003, 00:38

At least I can say that Jeff is less annoying than "Da Shan," the Candian who dazzled mainland Chinese audiences with his routines on CCTV.
"As I said before, I'm from the Midwest. We were taught it's not polite to talk about ourselves.''
Forumosan avatar
fee
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

2 Recommends(s)

Postby Neo » 28 Sep 2003, 06:42

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. Was Jeffu ever a TVBS commentator? I remember they used to bring this guy on that looked like Jeff to comment on anything involving America. After a little news blurb on something happening in the US, they called on him to comment. I found it rather amusing. Ive seen news networks call on experts, thats nothing new, but its usually for them to provide technical expertise. The idea of having an America expert, whose sole qualification is his ethnicity and country of origin, to comment on all things American-- that I find amusing.

Seemed like a decent enough guy with kickass Chinese. Not particularly gay...
Neo
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby Flicka » 28 Sep 2003, 07:54

Neo wrote:Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. Was Jeffu ever a TVBS commentator? I remember they used to bring this guy on that looked like Jeff to comment on anything involving America. After a little news blurb on something happening in the US, they called on him to comment. I found it rather amusing. Ive seen news networks call on experts, thats nothing new, but its usually for them to provide technical expertise. The idea of having an America expert, whose sole qualification is his ethnicity and country of origin, to comment on all things American-- that I find amusing.

Seemed like a decent enough guy with kickass Chinese. Not particularly gay...

You are thinking of Jason Blatt, who is very much straight and is now busy taking care of his newborn boy.
I settled for my safety school.
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 29 Sep 2003, 18:51

androo wrote: Speaking from personal experience: public appearances, writing books, radio hosting (aside from certain long-term ICRT jocks), and tv are not very high-paying. Grossly overpaid work usually involves voice-overs. (Anyone want to correct me here?)

Oh, you mean like re-recording the 228 Memorial guide tape in English, which was rejected by the client when a personality from a certain radio station well-known on the island did it the first time because it came out sounding, er, happy? (I am NOT making this up.)

(Believe it or not, there is actually a certain amount of skill involved in doing voice-overs WELL. :lol: Especially, of course, when the script is in Chinglish... :roll: )
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
293 Recognized(s)

Postby scooter » 29 Sep 2003, 19:22

ironlady wrote: Oh, you mean like re-recording the 228 Memorial guide tape in English, which was rejected by the client when a personality from a certain radio station well-known on the island did it the first time because it came out sounding, er, happy? (I am NOT making this up.)

(Believe it or not, there is actually a certain amount of skill involved in doing voice-overs WELL. :lol: Especially, of course, when the script is in Chinglish... :roll: )

Oh, I hear ya, I hear ya. I'm always shocked and amazed when I hear certain voices over and over again, especially when the voice never changes even when the client does.

If I'm not mistaken the above mentioned personality re-recorded a comercial for an SUV, using that same voice. Perhaps I'm biased, but I thought the original was much better :roll:

Um, and yeah. My other pet peave--when I hear people actually doing the voiceovers in the original Chinglish (guilty party: also the above-mentioned personality). Come on freaks, check the script. you owe it to your client especially when you are making more money than you would teaching English. if they underpay you, that's a different story (ha ha that's a joke).
Forumosan avatar
scooter
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby ironlady » 29 Sep 2003, 19:31

In defense of people who read out "Chinglish" scripts -- lots of times, the client refuses to have the script corrected, because it has already been approved by (insert names of numerous big shots in the company here). It does take unusual intestinal fortitude to read 'em out like that, however... :shock: The biggest offenders in this area are the English language testing tapes (which might explain why the phenomenon isn't fading out...?)
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
293 Recognized(s)

Postby scooter » 03 Oct 2003, 12:08

ironlady wrote:In defense of people who read out "Chinglish" scripts -- lots of times, the client refuses to have the script corrected, because it has already been approved by (insert names of numerous big shots in the company here). It does take unusual intestinal fortitude to read 'em out like that, however... :shock: The biggest offenders in this area are the English language testing tapes (which might explain why the phenomenon isn't fading out...?)

Yes, I can understand this scenario. The "better person" would probably refuse the case, but that would just mean the money would go to some other schmuck. I guess after a big debate in which I tell them they are wrong and the English script sucks, I'm probably pissed off enough to do it in Chinglish anyway. I can relax in the knowledge that they are getting what they deserve! Hah. That'll show 'em. :P If the person is nice about it, I will change the problems with plural/singular and articles anyway. Chances are they won't catch it while you are recording it.
Forumosan avatar
scooter

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment