PLEASE ADD SPOILER ALERTS

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

PLEASE ADD SPOILER ALERTS

Postby wolf_reinhold » 18 Nov 2003, 17:08

When posting about films, please either place a spoiler tag (see below) or type "SPOILERS" at the top of the text field (not in the subject field) if you are revealing plot details in a thread where the film in question (or rental home video) has not been out long.

This is most important in the early stages of a thread when not everyone has had the opportunity to see the film. As the discussion matures, and the film has had its run here (or has been available to rent for a while), revealing spoilers will not be an issue and it will not be necessary to type SPOILERS at the top.

Please don't start two threads on the same movie (one with spoilers, one without) unless there is some particular reason to do so.

Thanks

Moderator's note:
HOW TO ADD SPOILER TAGS

STEP ONE: Highlight spoiler text, then click on "SPOILER" button.

STEP TWO: See result.

"Foreigners are just not as smart as we Chinese people."
Yen Ta-jen
Kinmen (Jinmen) deputy county commissioner
Quoted in the Taipei Times, June 27, 2001
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

or even better ...

Postby QAM » 01 Mar 2004, 12:42

Or even better, I suggest a combination of ImaniOU 's excellent new idea "whiting out" spoilers, then adding in SPOILER ahead of the "whited out" spilled beans.

Ref (from "Lost in Translation" thread):
[color=violet]Quirky wrote:
ImaniOU

Excellent "style" choice to hide your spoiler. I have not read it and won't until I've seen the movie. Thanks!
We should all copy you and white-out our spoilers and add a warning in future. This white-out effect is very respectful, but still satisfies that itching desire to spill the beans.

ImaniOU wrote:
alidarbac wrote:What was interesting/disappointing was it's lame Chinese name. I think it was
"ICs range in complexity from simple logic modules and amplifiers to complete microcomputers containing millions of elements."

Read more: How integrated circuit is made - material, making, used, processing, components, dimensions, composition, industry, machine, How Integrated Circuit Components Are Formed, Design, Raw Materials http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Integra ... z0vnRfolGB
QAM
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

6 Recommends(s)

Re: or even better ...

Postby daasgrrl » 01 Mar 2004, 15:03

Quirky wrote:Or even better, I suggest a combination of ImaniOU 's excellent new idea "whiting out" spoilers, then adding in SPOILER ahead of the "whited out" spilled beans.

Because I am startlingly geekish, I will point out that I did this a while ago (and it might even have been done prior to that :) ):

http://forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=12013&start=34

but I suspect it may not work too well if the post happens to come out on the "darker" background rather than the "lighter" (you see how the posts alternate colours?).

If you're going to really do it properly, you would have to quote it first (to get a white background) and then put the text in white as well, and I don't know whether people could be bothered. For my part, I got the idea from the Television Without Pity boards, where the use of white on white (or black on black) spoilers is board policy. However, their formatting options are different.
Hotel Forumosa: Still looking for the exits...
Forumosan avatar
daasgrrl
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby miltownkid » 17 Aug 2004, 21:45

Gus hooked up spoiler tags that work like any other ones. The format is [spoiler.][/spoiler] (with out the little dot in there of course). It automatically matches the background color with the text so a person would have to highlight the area to see what was written.

Spoiler (Highlight below to see how nice it works)

[spoiler]That movie Seven Samurai is better then a 1000 pound titanium gorilla.[/spoiler]
Available for Daoist Wizarding - [Contact info]
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 17 Aug 2004, 22:07

[spoiler]How the hell do YOU know how good a 1000 pound titanium gorilla is?[/spoiler]
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby miltownkid » 20 Aug 2004, 20:18

sandman wrote:[spoiler]How the hell do YOU know how good a 1000 pound titanium gorilla is?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]A 2000 pound titanium gorilla told me. When ask how good seven samurai was he replied "Better then a 1000 pound titanium gorilla." I just took his word for it (and dammit you would too).[/spoiler]
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid

2 Recognized(s)

Postby miltownkid » 20 Aug 2004, 20:19

miltownkid wrote:
sandman wrote:[spoiler]How the hell do YOU know how good a 1000 pound titanium gorilla is?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]A 2000 pound titanium gorilla told me. When ask how good seven samurai was he replied "Better then a 1000 pound titanium gorilla." I just took his word for it (and dammit you would too).[/spoiler]

That looks funny.
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid

2 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 22 Aug 2004, 03:49

Oh, you mean [spoiler] =>insert spoiler here<=[/spoiler], right? Without the dot?

Wondering how I did it? Well here's how:

[spoiler]break up the code by inserting a bold and unbold in the middle of the word "spoiler" in the first set of brackets ({s{b}{/b}poiler} xxx{/spoiler}. Thanks to BFM (I think) for the very cool tip. [/spoiler]

By the way...

Could the A&E mods, do something about the spoilers that aren't hidden? Like the one in The Village thread that's out in the open for anyone who doesn't scroll past it fast enough? Kinda ruined the movie for me. :(
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby iris » 23 Aug 2004, 15:12

[spoiler]Help, can't get the spoiler tags to work[/spoiler]

Oops, here they are. I tried to clean up an older post in the "Village" thread - maybe that's not possible?

Iris
Iris in transition: Are we there yet?
Forumosan avatar
iris
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

Postby Neo » 08 Sep 2004, 01:55

[spoiler]Is it me or am I the only person who can't get these spoiler tags to work? Nothing in the prior 10 posts was hidden from my normal view. Did I just completely miss something intended to be a joke? [/spoiler]
Neo
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Next

x

Return to Arts & Entertainment