Mel Gibson: Drunken, Anti-Semitic A-Hole

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Postby Tigerman » 08 Aug 2006, 12:57

bike4saletw wrote:so in your lexicon, 'Jews' = 'N*ggers'.....o-kay... :loco:

Uh, I don't think MT said anything like that. I think MT is saying that Mel's statements are just as offensive as they would have been had he complained about "n-----s" rather than Jews.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

248 Recommends(s)
181 Recognized(s)

Postby Josefus » 08 Aug 2006, 12:58

Namahottie wrote:
bike4saletw wrote:
Doesn't make him bad, but definitely kills his career. And if you don't like the label, just see it this way.

Mel, got issues.

I don't think it will kill his career-as the other posters in this thread have discussed.

Oh yea, this is going to have some repercussions on his career.

Sure it will have "some repercussions on his career", but that doesn't mean his career is finished.
Not by a long shot.
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Forumosan avatar
Josefus
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 08 Aug 2006, 13:11

Tigerman wrote:

Uh, I don't think MT said anything like that. I think MT is saying that Mel's statements are just as offensive as they would have been had he complained about "n-----s" rather than Jews.

True. "Fucking Jew" does not = "Fucking N*gger," but if you're suggesting, bike4saletw, that the latter is offensive and improper and the former is not, answer me this. Here's what Mel said:

"Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

What if he had said:

"Fucking Ch*nks... The Ch*nks are responsible for all the trouble in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Ch*nk?"

or

"Fucking Spics... The Spics are responsible for all the trouble in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Spic?"

or

"Fucking Gooks... The Gooks are responsible for all the trouble in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Gook?"

Would you find those statements offensive? Inappropriate for a grown adult?
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 08 Aug 2006, 13:38

Mother Theresa wrote:Would you find those statements offensive? Inappropriate for a grown adult?

Heck, I'd have been in big trouble even as a child for uttering anything like that. I would have been made to feel shame for saying... and thinking... such things.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

248 Recommends(s)
181 Recognized(s)

Postby bike4saletw » 08 Aug 2006, 13:39

Tigerman wrote:

Let's not put words in Mel's mouth :loco: :s . He said 'Jews', short for Jewish people (oops, I mentioned Jewish and 'short' in the same sentence :noway: ). It is more than a stretch (for a very flexible yogi (oops, 'person from India whose profession is Yoga')) to say that he said 'Chinks' or some other derogatory term-since he didn't.

Ha. Hahaha
bike4saletw
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Mother Theresa » 08 Aug 2006, 13:48

bike4saletw wrote:
Tigerman wrote:

Let's not put words in Mel's mouth :loco: :s . He said 'Jews', short for Jewish people (oops, I mentioned Jewish and 'short' in the same sentence :noway: ). It is more than a stretch (for a very flexible yogi (oops, 'person from India whose profession is Yoga')) to say that he said 'Chinks' or some other derogatory term-since he didn't.

Ha. Hahaha

I'm not putting words in his mouth. You're taking them out and modifying them. He did not mention "Jewish" people. He said: "Fucking Jews... The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world." Gibson then asked the deputy, "Are you a Jew?"

It's no stretch to conclude that his words constitute a highly offensive insult, even if one doesn't consider the fact that he was already suspected of anti-semitism based on past events. If you like the guy's movies or attend his church or think he's cute, or whatever, that's fine. I won't quarrel with your taste. But you're clearly in the minority if you don't believe his statement was offensive and inappropriate.
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby bike4saletw » 08 Aug 2006, 14:23

OK, I've got more time.

I suggest some US centric pedants can't take any form of insult to Jewish people (be it offensive or, in this case, not really). That was why I posted the Economist link.

Now, on topic (or should that be off-topic, eh ?). Wasn't me who kept saying 'Jew' is an offensive term which is similar to n*gger, ch*nk, etc. I denied that 'Jew' is derogatory, since it is the name used for people of Jewish ethnicitry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_ ... ationality

Nationality:
1. Jews. Offensive terms: Jew-boy / Jewbag / Hymie (North America, esp among Blacks) ...many horrible ones excluded.
2. Chinese. Offensive terms: Chinaman / Chink - Highly offensive / Slanteye or slit-eye / Slope etc.....
3. Black people. Offensive terms: Nigger - A highly offensive term for a black or dark-skinned / tar baby /

etc ...many more, all repulsive.

I wish he had said: 'F*cking Yanks, responsible for the Iraq war and countless civilian deaths as a result of poor execution of the aftermath'. But, considering he was drunk, I can understand why he simplified/compromised the logic.

Now MT is guessing I like his movies, or think he's cute or whatever. You don't have a clue, do you. To quote a phrase:

Ha. Hahahahahaha.
bike4saletw

Postby sandman » 08 Aug 2006, 14:33

Wasn't me who kept saying 'Jew' is an offensive term which is similar to n*gger, ch*nk, etc. I denied that 'Jew' is derogatory, since it is the name used for people of Jewish ethnicitry.

So how about "fucking Jew"? Is that also not derogatory? In your opinion, of course, since that's all we're talking about here -- seems like no-one else has a problem comprehending the offensiveness of what Gibson said.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Josefus » 08 Aug 2006, 14:38

I'm leaning towards what bike4saletw is saying.
It really wasn't that bad or "highly offensive".
Is Fu*king Jew really worse than Fu*king American?
IMO, no.
It could have been far, far worse as demonstrated.
This is mildly offensive at best.
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Forumosan avatar
Josefus
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)

Postby Truant » 08 Aug 2006, 14:45

Josefus wrote:I'm leaning towards what bike4saletw is saying.
It really wasn't that bad or "highly offensive".
Is Fu*king Jew really worse than Fu*king American?
IMO, no.
It could have been far, far worse as demonstrated.
This is mildly offensive at best.

People say fucking Kiwi all the time. I'm used to it.
The best learning Chinese flashcards in the world are available in Taiwan at http://www.silkwormpress.com
Forumosan avatar
Truant
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment