Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Seediq Bale

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Seediq Bale

Postby MikeN » 09 Oct 2011, 23:23

Just saw both parts back-to-back here in Taidong -my aching butt! Since we havent had a movie theatre since our only one burned down a few years ago, the county government shows ïmportant " movies like this (and Avatar :raspberry: ) in the Cultural Center.

Thought it was very good, though part 2 dragged. The whole thing could have been cut down to three hours.

One interesting thing about watching it here was that maybe a quarter/third of the audience were aborigines, many who came in groups wearing traditional dress. The ushers were also local aborigine teenagers- kind of a special effect at the end of part one, just after the massacre, when the doors swing open and you walk out past five or six big local 18-year olds wearing tribal dress.

I asked my wife, herself an aborigine, whether she thought the local Han were thinking they might be next :eek: '
MikeN
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Oct 2011, 23:28

If the Han were 2 percent of the population and aboriginals 98 pct that could be the case. But as it is. Although I myself feel that most taiwanese (except the ones that came over with chiang) are in part aboriginal anyway.
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby Bu Lai En » 10 Oct 2011, 00:58

I just watched Part2. I alreadys said that I agree with Mucha Man's assessment of Part 1, which I saw a couple fo weeks ago. It was excelelnt, and I found the criticisms of it comepletely unfounded. It was well-paced, well-characterised, and well-produced. It could stand by itself as a film in its own right, without Part 2.

I also agree with Mike N. in his comments on Part 2. It was also great, but SLIGHTLY disappointing after Part 1. The fight seens were excellent and I wasn't at all annoyed (as it seems a few people were) by their length. I thought it was a very exciting part of the film. But I was a bto bored byt he lengthy ending sequences after the fighting finished.

Overall, I think it would be better as a single film, although it seems liek the 2.5 hour edit didn't do it justice. A 3 hour version (or slightly over) would be best. You could cut almost 1/2 an hour each in little snippets out of both films, and then almost an extra half hour out fo the end of the second one.

But don't let minor reservations and criticisms put you off seeing it. It really is the best produced large-scale or 'action' film ever made in Taiwan, and nothing about it seems inferior to a Hollywood production in any way, and the story is much better than most Hollywood films as it has its own unique character.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

Seediq Bale

Postby Tonyx » 10 Oct 2011, 23:41

Linsen north road, Taipei Showtime shows the movie with English subs. I went to see part one the other day.
Tonyx
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby zoossh » 19 Oct 2011, 00:02

tommy525 wrote:If the Han were 2 percent of the population and aboriginals 98 pct that could be the case. But as it is. Although I myself feel that most taiwanese (except the ones that came over with chiang) are in part aboriginal anyway.

well. although the quoted figure is 98% han in Taiwan's population, and very much a preferred quoted figure from the chinese, by the population of the immigrants from coastal china from the 16th century till WWII in relation to the native population inclusive of the aborigines that stay both in the plains and the mountains, the numbers should be approximately equal. the marked difference is likely similar to that of the ainu people in japan, with the aborigines in the plains marrying with the immigrants or simply adopting the hoklo identity that is especially possible for some of the aborigines that had fairer skin and corresponding facial features. and that also happened to some of the hakka population that hide their identity and assimilate into the hoklo population though they may retain some of their ancestral worshipping practices which can differ from the hoklo.

there are many parts of the taiwanese identity and history that are either hidden or are considered taboo, or are either suppressed by the government or are politically sensitive. and this movie is just one of the many hidden facets that is revealed before things disappear with time. the story selected for this movie is excellent because the aborigines had greatly welcomed the movie that documented their culture, history and presence, and this does not intimidate most of the taiwanese. the director's previous movie cape no. 7 had depicted a romantic story of a taiwanese girl and a japanese teacher who had to leave due to the defeat of the japanese in WWII, and a new romance between a local taiwanese singer and a japanese translator, which help to dilute any suspicion of anti-japanese sentiments in this movie.

however, I had the thoughts of how the director had tried to establish the trading relationship between the taiwanese hoklo community and the aborigines as something out of necessity with mutual benefits and respect, as well as a deliberate emphasis in the movie that the aborigines had made a conscious effort not to attack the taiwanese hoklo community. well, I would suppose that if that was not being done, there might be a substantial impact of how the taiwanese viewers see this movie, as well as the impact on the box office
[url="http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245883"]Newbie guide + pricelist[/url], [url="http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287269"]Backpacking & Photography[/url]
zoossh
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby BigJohn » 19 Oct 2011, 01:25

Hey zoossh! Nice Forumosa name.

Is that the sound of the machete slicing through the air before it lops off the head of its victim?
BigJohn
I will prosper for a long time (wǒ huì fán róng hěn zhǎng yī duàn shí jiān)

Postby zoossh » 25 Oct 2011, 18:31

BigJohn wrote:Hey zoossh! Nice Forumosa name.

Is that the sound of the machete slicing through the air before it lops off the head of its victim?

no, that is zeus, the name of a greek god.

there are many controversy with regards to the contents of this movie.

is it good that such beheading practices are banned? i will say yes, however, the banning of such practices is not in a good intention but to help disarm the aggressiveness that these aborigines had and to avoid resistance against japanese rule. in the same way, the popularity of the talk about "tibetan serfdom" as a reason to rule tibet under the chinese was perpetuated rampantly after the 2008 uprising, despite the facts that chinese will not grant independence even if all the excuses they said are fulfilled (ie no more serfs after independence) and that when china invaded tibet, there is no knowledge of the tibetan cultural environment. however these days, chinese claim that their rule is for the good for the tibetans. we just had to see if the japanese had previously used the same reasons as well.

in my opinion, I hope that tattooing is not being banned at their time, and instead of beheading an enemy, there could be other healthier way of continuing their gaya practices which can be a statement of bravery and manhood. as for today, whether tattooing will cause any discrimination, that is hard to predict but I think it is possible for those who are interested in reviving traditional practices to have subtle tattooing in their chin for symbolic purposes and for fashion as well. it will be healthy also if there is a national sports tournament every year involving the aborigines. I'm pretty certain that under the current government that hold chinese chauvinism, other actions might be difficult (to a lesser degree, hoklo also had certain extent of chauvinism). otherwise, i feel that the state should officially recognise that the aborigines are the first people in the state, the national anthem should recognise that fact in their lyrics and textbooks of Taiwan's history should start their first few chapters on aboriginal history, and all new streets name should have aboriginal name if there is known aboriginal history in that location.
[url="http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245883"]Newbie guide + pricelist[/url], [url="http://www.clubsnap.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287269"]Backpacking & Photography[/url]
zoossh
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby petrarch1603 » 19 Jan 2012, 09:48

This movie is now on the shortlist for Foreign Language Academy Award nominations. Now if only I could actually see it with English subtitles.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-nominations-foreign-language-film-separation-darkness-pina-282949
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby finley » 03 Feb 2012, 14:35

Lookalikes.

Mona Rudao:

Neil Young:

"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby tommy525 » 03 Feb 2012, 14:58

HA, there is a resemblance. I guess Neil is a TW aborigine too?
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Arts & Entertainment