Seediq Bale

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Seediq Bale

Postby finley » 26 Sep 2011, 17:50

Anyways ... I'll be waiting for the next Pixar release.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby kage » 26 Sep 2011, 18:58

Yes, perhaps a good idea.

Since comparisons have be thrown into the discussion already:
I wonder how the numbers would compare between Wushe incident (and other such incidents, such as the Batongguan station incident) and those killed in the "pacification" of the aborigines. I suspect you might reassess your point of view....
Forumosan avatar
kage
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Sep 2011, 19:18

finley wrote:Anyways ... I'll be waiting for the next Pixar release.

There's something for everyone in this great world of ours. Isn't it smashing? :thumbsup:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 26 Sep 2011, 19:24

I wonder how the numbers would compare between Wushe incident (and other such incidents, such as the Batongguan station incident) and those killed in the "pacification" of the aborigines. I suspect you might reassess your point of view....

I don't follow your logic. If Hitler gassed six million Jews and the British firebombed 100,000 German civilians, does that (by itself) make the British the good guys?

My original point was firstly, that they were both as bad as each other, and secondly, the Seediq's actions guaranteed their own extinction; regardless of the morality of their actions, the result was the complete opposite of what they wanted (i.e., preservation of their tribe and culture), and predictably so. Mauna knew that, but nobody else seemed to. That made it a pretty boring film, because you knew exactly how it was going to play out.

Both the Seediq and the Japanese had incorporated fighting and death into their cultures to a thoroughly unhealthy degree and (it seems to me) in very similar ways. It's a film about people killing each other, nothing more, nothing less. There is no "culture" to learn about, and none that deserves to be preserved, whether in memory, on film, or in reality. I think the movie would have been a lot more interesting if it had taken a broader view; as you say, taking in the entire scope of the 'pacification' of all the aboriginal tribes - which, as I understand it, had cultures and traditions which were markedly different from each other, and probably had very different experiences. Frankly, I don't know how many the Japanese killed. I've no doubt it was a lot: but the film barely even touches on that. If it had, perhaps I might have been able to identify better with the protagonists.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Sep 2011, 19:57

Again, finley, you seem wildly confused about what a movie, or any piece of storytelling or drama is. Heroic or epic stories are almost always pre-known to the audience. Think of the Iliad. Think of Song of Roland or Beowolf. Think Rob Roy. All familiar legends and stories. The pleasure is in the very manner the storyteller presents the events.

Hell, think Lawrence of Arabia. Did you feel bored because the director showed Lawrence dying in the first scene and then went back in time to explore his life? I can imagine you walking out of the theatre and demanding your money. "But I already know what is going to happen!" :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 Sep 2011, 02:52

Well this aint no feel good movie i guess.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby olm » 29 Sep 2011, 12:28

Guess what? Next week Seediq Bale is running in the evening in English (10/3~10/6, 19:30), and next week Friday the second part starts - also in English.

PS: I only found it by accident on the showtime website, because some small text on the left side included the characters "英文", which I recognized ^_^

They shall grow not old
As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

Location: Scenic Bavaria, next to a former Messerschmitt factory
16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 29 Sep 2011, 12:51

See Dick bail!

Seriously... this is great news, and the screening times (7:30 pm) are manageable for most of us who work for a living.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
194 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 29 Sep 2011, 12:51

Yes, great news.

Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 29 Sep 2011, 15:07

Is it ok to say something bout AVATAR here since some parallels have been made regarding seedig and avatar? Im watching a rented dvd of the same and one amusing thing is where the woman doesnt cut down our hero when hes tied up after the tree was downed. And also she left him on his own , wiped out, in the forest. Then when he flew down to the sacred site in the big whachamacallit ..torook something. Shes suddenly all over him again.

Women appreciate a man of substance ! Its not changed. :D Ok any similar parallels in Seedig?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment