For Robert Jordan fans

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

For Robert Jordan fans

Postby Jaboney » 15 Apr 2009, 18:56

A MEMORY OF LIGHT to be released in 3 volumes. Book Twelve, The Gathering Storm, to be released November 3, 2009.

One interesting note, though I doubt they'd ever be able to do the series justice... there's just no way they'd make THAT MANY films: "Universal Pictures acquired the movie rights to The Wheel of Time in August 2008, and currently plan to adapt The Eye of the World as the first movie."

And this from the new author:
Brandon Sanderson wrote:I wrote all summer, and the next point of interest comes at Worldcon. Tom and I were on a panel together, talking about AMoL. I noted that (by that point) I had around 250k written. He said something like "Ah, so you're almost done!" I looked chagrined and said "Actually, I feel that I'm only about 1/3 of the way there, Tom." He blinked, shocked, and then laughed a full bellied laugh. "It's happening again!" he exclaimed. "Jim sold me one book that somehow became three, and now it's happening again!"
[...]
In January, Tom called Harriet and they talked. At this point, I'd hit my 400k goal, and I knew that I was only about halfway done. (If even that far along.) Very little of that 400k had been revised or drafted. Tom and Harriet chatted, and several things came up. One of the most dominating points was this: it had been four years since the fans had been given KNIFE OF DREAMS. Tom felt that we NEEDED to provide them a book in 2009. They couldn't wait until I finished the entire volume to publish something.
[...]
Now, this was longer than they'd wanted. They'd hoped I'd find them a cutting point at the 225k mark. But I didn't feel good about any cuts earlier than 275. In fact, I later took that 275,000 word book and I added an extra 25k in scenes (one's I'd been planning to write anyway, but decided would work better here in this chunk) in order to fill it out and make of it the most solid novel possible. Right now, the book sits at about 301,000 words--though that will fluctuate as I trim out some excess language here and there. I suspect the final product will be right around 300,000k words.
[...]
I am writing this book long. I'm writing it VERY long. Most books in most genres are around 100k long. I'm shooting for eight times that length. And one person can only produce so much material, particularly on a project like this. Writing this book, keeping all of these plot threads and characters straight, is like juggling boulders. It's hard, hard work.

You're getting a book this year. You'll get one next year. You'll get one the year after that. I don't know which months in 2010 or 2011 the books will come out. You can keep hope they'll be sooner, but you might want to listen to Tom's November, November estimate, as I feel it's the absolute latest you'd see the books.

And if you'd like something of the series from the original author, there's The Strike at Shayol Ghul
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Re: For Robert Jordan fans

Postby Hobbes » 16 Apr 2009, 11:48

Finally! :bravo:

Thanks for the heads up, Jaboney!
Forumosan avatar
Hobbes
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Taffy » 16 Apr 2009, 12:03

Light! The wait has been long enough. I hope he can do the series justice. The only thing I'm not looking forward to is Moiraine and Thom getting it on. Yuck.
Taffy
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

102 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 16 Apr 2009, 14:29

Thom's got decidedly bad luck with the ladies: she'll not last long.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 17 Apr 2009, 08:46

Good news. November, eh? I'll keep an eye out.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 17 Apr 2009, 09:09

You and Mat Cauthon.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Hobbes » 17 Apr 2009, 10:27

Jaboney wrote:You and Mat Cauthon.

ba dum chh! :lol:
Forumosan avatar
Hobbes

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 08 Sep 2009, 01:22

The next book, The Gathering Storm (review here), will be on sale earlier than expected.
The first chapter is available in audiobook format. I've listened to it. Being the first chapter, there's a bunch of review/getting up to speed, but it sounds very good.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Quentin » 08 Sep 2009, 01:35

I'm sorry I clicked on this thread. I misread this as "For Robert Johnson" fans. :oops: I thought they maybe had unearthed the 33rd song by the man who sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads.
Forumosan avatar
Quentin
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Mordeth » 08 Sep 2009, 08:07

You can buy it now (at discount). And it gets shipped to your door for FREE: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/search? ... rch=search
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth

13 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Arts & Entertainment