Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Is Friends the Most Pathetic Comedy of Its Ilk?

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Is Friends the Most Pathetic Comedy of its Ilk?

Postby sandman » 17 Aug 2010, 16:40

NEEEEEEIGHBOURS! Everybody needs good NEEEEIGHBOURS,
With a little understAAAAANDING
We can make a brighter DAAAAY!

NEEEEEIGHBOURS should be there for one anOOOTHEEEEER

That's when good NEEEIGHBOURS become good FRIEEEEEEENDS.

I'm so ashamed that I remember that. But at least I only ever watched it in order to catch a glimpse of Kylie Minogue's prepubescent titties.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 17 Aug 2010, 16:42

Mercifully I was pre-pubescent and had no idea who Kylie Minogue was, and yessss I loved Neeeiiiiiiiiiighbourrrrrrrs
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 17 Aug 2010, 17:29

divea wrote:My own wonderful government with its (still) grainy network and its loyalty to the Queen's English would only broadcast English shows like the Yes Minister series and stuff.

What else is needed? With very few exceptions, British comedy is miles above the North American spew that passes for humour. "Yes Minister" makes Friends appear about as funny as a slug in a sandbox, wot's given up it's career and really let itself go.
As for "Whose Line is it..." just add it to the towering heap of limp-wristed American pale imitations of the original British shows. I wonder just how many American comedies or other types of shows have been copied from other sources.

Even the all time classic "All in the Family" was ripped off from the Limeys.
Shocking, really!
:no-no:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
229 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 17 Aug 2010, 17:39

Listen I like British comedy, but no one shows those outside Great Britain. I think Office was one of the few shows that crossed the seas in a looooooooooong time. And ofcourse it's like Pizza now, everyone thinks its American.
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 17 Aug 2010, 18:10

divea wrote:Listen I like British comedy, but no one shows those outside Great Britain. I think Office was one of the few shows that crossed the seas in a looooooooooong time. And ofcourse it's like Pizza now, everyone thinks its American.

Pizza's not American?
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 17 Aug 2010, 18:13

TwoTongues wrote:
divea wrote:Listen I like British comedy, but no one shows those outside Great Britain. I think Office was one of the few shows that crossed the seas in a looooooooooong time. And ofcourse it's like Pizza now, everyone thinks its American.

Pizza's not American?

The only thing American, is the sax.....but you know, how they're always blowing their erm like you know that horny thing trumpet, so maybe it isn't.
- Leo Roston
divea

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 17 Aug 2010, 18:17

divea wrote:
TwoTongues wrote:

Pizza's not American?

The only thing American, is the sax.....but you know, how they're always blowing their erm like you know that horny thing trumpet, so maybe it isn't.

Ummmm, what does pizza have to do with music? Except that I sometimes hear Zeppelin in my mind when eating a particularly good slice that usually includes anchovies and either artichoke or garlicky spinach.
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Is Friends the Most Pathetic Comedy of its Ilk?

Postby Joesox » 17 Aug 2010, 19:13

divea wrote:
TwoTongues wrote:

Pizza's not American?

The sax is actually from the land of chocolate body parts and sweet beer.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 17 Aug 2010, 19:15

Joesox wrote:
divea wrote:
TwoTongues wrote:

Pizza's not American?

The sax is actually from the land of chocolate body parts and sweet beer.

You mean gay-land?

Wait what does pizza have to do with sitcoms?
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Is Friends the Most Pathetic Comedy of its Ilk?

Postby Joesox » 17 Aug 2010, 19:19

I mean the land where the national cuisine comes out of a waffle iron.
Joesox

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment