Favourite Movie Moments!

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: favourite movie moments!

Postby Dr. McCoy » 02 Apr 2010, 13:05

k.k. wrote:Good Will Hunting is one of my favorite movies of all-time. I just love the scene at the end of this clip where Will delivers the famous "how do ya like them apples?!..." line. The whole scene where it starts back in the univ bar is classic though.

My boy's wicked smaat.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 02 Apr 2010, 13:23

That's one of the scenes I dislike the most, though I think Damon (Matt Damon!) did a great job acting it. It was a set-up scene.

We make fun of horror movie writing when the scantily clad lass walks trembling into the dark bloody room only to be karate chopped with a machete as lame and predictable, I think this is similar here (weirdly) - they set up the twat preppy smart ass and then Damon's so smart to know the actual books and quotations - it ends with him showing physicality - his "blue collar Bostonian" toughness. In a movie that's all about writing (as opposed to say "I know Kung Fu"), that seemed like kinda predictably lame writing to me.

Whole scene doesn't ring true to me. Unlike the scene with Robin Williams where Damon (Matt Damon!) makes the wrong remark about Willliams's wife, and Williams takes a stand from his strong-but-passive demeanor, in which everything deflected off of him. Not quite as predictable (as was Williams's demeanor - not really predictable).
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Dougster » 11 Apr 2010, 01:45

"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 11 Apr 2010, 09:44

By the way, last week Pooch Cafe had a joke about that Good Will Hunting scene. It was funny. The dog said, "I don't like apples. I'm a dog."
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby hardball » 11 Apr 2010, 09:51

I'll raise you Love And Death, Doc
"This is like deja vu all over again."
-- Yogi Berra

"Hit them first, and last...at all times."
-- Ty Cobb
hardball
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 11 Apr 2010, 10:02

That's funny.

I like the old slapstick Woody.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby ThreadKiller » 11 Apr 2010, 20:31

In the first four minutes of this clip, Jessica Lange remembers childhood abuse in the movie adaptation of A Thousand Acres (Jane Smiley's reworking of King Lear).

Possibly a bit of overacting here. But I was quite moved by this movie and always remembered this scene. I love Jennifer Jason Lee. Love Jessica Lange. Love Michelle Pfeiffer.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 18 Apr 2010, 22:20

I found it. One of our family movies we watched together when I was a kid and we all liked that line at the end where she says, "My back is wet." (About 4:40 into the video.)

All the heated PC IP discussion reminded me of it. You can see the whole movie on Youtube, I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't caught it.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 20 Apr 2010, 23:18

"John has a long mustache," scene from The Longest Day.

Charlie Jack
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

1225 Recommends(s)
216 Recognized(s)

Postby rousseau » 20 Apr 2010, 23:39

Forumosan avatar
rousseau
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment