Best Jazz

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Best Jazz

Postby flike » 17 Aug 2010, 09:16

Museum Acquires Storied Trove of Jazz

...As a result, many of the broadcasts from nightclubs and ballrooms that Mr. Savory recorded contain more relaxed and free-flowing versions of hit songs originally recorded in the studio. One notable example is a stunning six-minute Coleman Hawkins performance of “Body and Soul” from the spring of 1940; in it this saxophonist plays a five-chorus solo even more adventurous than the renowned two-chorus foray on his original version of the song, recorded in the fall of 1939. By the last chorus, he has drifted into uncharted territory, playing in a modal style that would become popular only when Miles Davis recorded “Kind of Blue” in 1959.

An eccentric American, described as a musician and a recording genius, traipses all over mid-century Harlem, recording jazz musicians. A secretive crank, he allows only a handful of people to hear his recordings over the years. In 2004 he dies, and his son recovers a treasure chest of aluminum and acetate discs moldering in an attic. The son sells them to the National Jazz Museum. We may get to hear them soon.

I can't wait. :thumbsup:
"It is a privilege to be the stand-in for Spencer Tracy. Tracy is a fine actor, but he is most important because he understands why it is necessary to take orders from the front office." Louis B. Mayer, 1938 Academy Awards ceremony

"Why do you not sit on my lap when we talk contracts, like my other stars do?" Louis B. Mayer to Luise Rainer, 1937

"His hand always touched my right tit whenever he said the word 'daughter'." Joan Crawford, regarding Louis B. Mayer, 1938
flike
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

23 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 17 Aug 2010, 09:25

Jimmy Smith live!
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby cranky laowai » 17 Aug 2010, 12:50

flike wrote:An eccentric American, described as a musician and a recording genius, traipses all over mid-century Harlem, recording jazz musicians. A secretive crank, he allows only a handful of people to hear his recordings over the years. In 2004 he dies, and his son recovers a treasure chest of aluminum and acetate discs moldering in an attic. The son sells them to the National Jazz Museum. We may get to hear them soon.

Thanks for the link, flike.
A few audio excerpts from those recordings, including ones featuring Coleman Hawkins; Lester Young; Cab Calloway; Benny Goodman and Teddy Wilson; Bunny Berigan; Charlie Christian, Benny Goodman, and Lionel Hampton; and Fats Waller, Louis Armstrong, and Jack Teagarden.
Forumosan avatar
cranky laowai
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

38 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 17 Aug 2010, 15:50

Holy crap! Just. HOLY CRAP!
Thank you for the new tunes and for the old great ones (Moanin' in particular, Wookie).

On another note, I'll be moving house pretty soon and won't have room for about 5,000 jazz CDs. I'll no doubt be keeping as many as I can, but you know, 5,000 is a lot of space. They'll be free to a good home. Some absolutely killer tunes and I bet a whole bunch you never even heard of before.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 17 Aug 2010, 16:02

sandman wrote:Holy crap! Just. HOLY CRAP!
Thank you for the new tunes and for the old great ones (Moanin' in particular, Wookie).

On another note, I'll be moving house pretty soon and won't have room for about 5,000 jazz CDs. I'll no doubt be keeping as many as I can, but you know, 5,000 is a lot of space. They'll be free to a good home. Some absolutely killer tunes and I bet a whole bunch you never even heard of before.

You should make the collection the "sandman memorial mobile jazz museum" where everyone can swap them around.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 17 Aug 2010, 17:49

Can I get dibs on the lot?
Please, please, please!
I'll try to recip. by getting a copy of the Ken Burns Jazz Docu.
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

9 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 17 Aug 2010, 17:51

Wookiee wrote:

Can I get dibs on the lot?
Please, please, please!
I'll try to recip. by getting a copy of the Ken Burns Jazz Docu.
http://www.pbs.org/jazz/

Sure. You're first. I'll let you know in the fullness of time when the move is taking place, but you REALLY want every single note ever recorded by, say, Trane? Because I believe I got 'em ALL!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 17 Aug 2010, 17:54

Blimey, going through copious amounts of black music you've never heard of.. damn that takes me back
Forumosan avatar
Funk500

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 17 Aug 2010, 17:56

sandman wrote:but you REALLY want every single note ever recorded by, say, Trane? Because I believe I got 'em ALL!

Jayzus, YES!
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee

9 Recognized(s)

Postby flike » 21 Aug 2010, 04:59

"It is a privilege to be the stand-in for Spencer Tracy. Tracy is a fine actor, but he is most important because he understands why it is necessary to take orders from the front office." Louis B. Mayer, 1938 Academy Awards ceremony

"Why do you not sit on my lap when we talk contracts, like my other stars do?" Louis B. Mayer to Luise Rainer, 1937

"His hand always touched my right tit whenever he said the word 'daughter'." Joan Crawford, regarding Louis B. Mayer, 1938
flike

23 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment