Bands, Singers, and Musicians Needed

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: Joining a band

Postby Funk500 » 15 Nov 2010, 08:27

I think it may be difficult to find a Lindisfarne covers band or anyone who wants to play Geordie sea-shanties :wink:
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Re: Joining a band

Postby sandman » 15 Nov 2010, 15:18

Funk500 wrote:I think it may be difficult to find a Lindisfarne covers band or anyone who wants to play Geordie sea-shanties :wink:

The fog on the Tyne is all mine all mine,
The fog on the Tyne is ALL MINE!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Any Zhongli musicians/bands out there?

Postby ryanjgillies » 14 Dec 2010, 00:18

I'm a singer who (to be frank) has far more enthusiasm and entertainment value than actual vocal talent. Never-the-less, I still find every opportunity to rock out a few tunes with some fellow musicians I know here in the UK,and share my voice with the punters at any bar with karaoke going on.

I just wondered if there were any musicians (vocal or instrumental) in Zhongli that had a similar inclination for an impromptu jam session or two, be it grandiose, average, mediocre or just plain fun. I'll be in Taiwan from January to March 2011 and it'd be good to meet a few new faces!

You can check out my awesome vocals/laugh yourselves silly by visiting http://www.raicho.co.uk/boom

On a similar topic, is anyone a part of/does anyone know of, any bands in the area (or perhaps even further afield) who have some gigs lined up during those months?

Despite what the x-factor/pop idol tv shows say, I'll always be of the belief that grassroot local bands are the most innovative way forward in the music industry! Has anyone seen any good performances from the local music scene lately?
Ryan J Gillies : Longtan, TW : Milton Keynes, UK : Personal : Work : Facebook
Forumosan avatar
ryanjgillies
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)

Re: Joining a Band

Postby Socrates » 18 Dec 2010, 12:06

Well, it depends what people you're looking for exactly.
If you want to form a band with other foreigners then you'll need to ask your friends to ask their friends etc. Until you find someone.
But if you're interested playing with Taiwanese, then you can post a short ad on this website: http://modernmusician.com/ (you might need to ask someone to help you out with the translation)
That's how I found my musicians and we've been playing together for three years now...
The little I know I owe to my ignorance.
Forumosan avatar
Socrates
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recognized(s)

Blues Rock Musicians in Taichung Zhanghua

Postby tarugista » 23 Dec 2010, 20:18

Hi, just wondering if there are any people out there interested in jamming together, im a lead guitarist. Taichung area or Zhanghua area, just reply to tarugista@yahoo.com. blues, rock.
tarugista
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Kawa » 31 Dec 2010, 00:40

What do you play?

I play guitar and I am also looking for people to play with, let me know if you're still interested =)
Forumosan avatar
Kawa
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby KEIRseven » 31 Dec 2010, 10:08

yeah, http://modernmusician.com/ is a good source. You can also try putting up an add at some of the music shops around Taipei, or checking the adds that are posted already.
Forumosan avatar
KEIRseven
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Taiwan_Student » 22 Jan 2011, 09:49

Don't you need a work permit to play in a band. In the east, a few foreigners were busted and deported for playing. Solution... get married! Other that that, don't you have to get a special "work/performance" permit?
Taiwan_Student
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

22 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 22 Jan 2011, 10:23

Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Musicians Seeking Musicians (and Stages)

Postby ThreadKiller » 24 Mar 2011, 23:21

Every so often musicians seek like minds and ears on forumosa. I thought it might be useful to have a spot where people could post what they are looking for, and also find out more about places to play. Gonna merge a few threads here so that we can have everything in one place. Feel free to post your musical skills or any information about open mike nights.

ImageImageImage

Possible topic of interest:
List of Taipei band practice / rehearsal spaces, studios
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Arts & Entertainment