Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Buying ebooks with Taiwan CC

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Buying ebooks with Taiwan CC

Postby StuartCa » 15 Jun 2010, 16:23

I just discovered that you can't order e-books from online stores (barnes and noble and Kobo and various UK sites) if you have a Taiwanese credit card.

To get over this you can use your cc to buy a gift voucher from B&N and then redeem that for the book you want.

Also found this site for free e-books http://www.truly-free.org/#nogo
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Re: Buying ebooks with Taiwan CC

Postby cfimages » 15 Jun 2010, 16:36

Is it credit card or your registered address? I recently upgraded some Adobe software thru their site, and it wouldn't accept the Taiwan address. When I created a new ID using a US address, it happily accepted by Taishin Visa.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

192 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 15 Jun 2010, 16:39

I think it's both. When i tried putting in a UK address it said that the card number wasn't valid.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 15 Jun 2010, 16:45

Bummer.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

192 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment