Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

American Comic Books

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

American Comic Books

Postby Formosa Fitness » 29 Jan 2011, 20:26

Yes, I searched and found only a thread from 2003. All the links were dead. I'm looking for American comic books for my boy. No, not the Japanese junk. There used to be a store over near Shi-Da but he packed up and closed last year. Any other places?
We are a foreign owned and operated full service gym in Taipei specializing in serious fitness. Check us out: http://formosafitness.com/
Forumosan avatar
Formosa Fitness
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
89 Recommends(s)
31 Recognized(s)

Re: American comic books

Postby lostinasia » 29 Jan 2011, 22:41

Formosa Fitness wrote:I'm looking for American comic books for my boy. No, not the Japanese junk.

Page One used to have a small collection of English-language graphic novels/ comic books: Sandman, Sin City, Batman, Watchmen... the stuff I noticed may not be appropriate for a young child, but then again, I probably wouldn't have noticed the material that would be appropriate. All I know is that I gave up looking for "Y: The Last Man" and just ordered it instead, and since then I haven't looked in that section.

I'm not sure if those are still there. That particular corner was no longer dedicated to English-language material last week, but it may have moved somewhere else in the store. (They're shuffled sections around: travel at the front, cooking where travel used to be...)
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

52 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 29 Jan 2011, 22:51

Airport bookstore has the hulk, spidey, xmen, and the Simpson... I know the last one isn't a real comic book, but it's kinda close.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

21 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby ThreadKiller » 30 Jan 2011, 02:30

As lostinasia said, there are some at Page One in the magazine section.

I'm not sure how old your boy is, but I am assuming you aren't looking for graphic novels. Nevertheless, this section will have Tintin amd Asterix, and other gems.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby MilkTeaJack » 30 Jan 2011, 07:30

The only REAL comics are Archie comics. All the rest are cape and cowl nonsense. Now, get off my lawn!
twitter: jackge

Do right by yourself, you'll do right for others.
Do right by others, you'll do right for yourself.
Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Namahottie » 30 Jan 2011, 12:07

I got a bunch of X-Men in decent, good and great condition. If you're serious, pm me.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

American Comic Books in Taiwan?

Postby dashgalaxy86 » 22 Feb 2011, 17:21

Is there anywhere in Taipei with a good selection of US comic books?
dashgalaxy86
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Re: American Comic Books in Taiwan?

Postby Belgian Pie » 22 Feb 2011, 17:42

Internet.
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
75 Recognized(s)

Postby jimipresley » 22 Feb 2011, 17:46

Could you be more specific? What's an "American comic book"? Archie?
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

992 Recommends(s)
374 Recognized(s)

Postby dashgalaxy86 » 22 Feb 2011, 18:13

Well, for one thing, Batman Beyond is the specific series I'm after.
Internet could also mean one of two things: ordering, via amazon or subscription (quite pricey), or illegally downloading via torrent. I prefer to buy it in person if at all possible.
dashgalaxy86

24 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment