American Comic Books

This is the place for discussion of films, books, movies and TV shows, etc. A & E topics related to Taiwan or China should be posted in the Culture & History Forum.

Moderator: Rockefeller

Re: American Comic Books in Taiwan?

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 24 Aug 2011, 22:55

Josefus wrote:There used to be a place called Banana Comics.
Current/back issues, toys/figures, graphic novels, shirts etc.
Sadly, I think it went out of business, :(

Aw, damnit! Banana comics is closed :cry: ? At least I know I don't have to return to Taipei for good reading.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Re: American Comic Books

Postby papercut » 20 Mar 2012, 16:50

I doubt there is a source of single issues in Taiwan now. Maybe an inquiry to Diamond will uncover alternatives.
papercut
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby papercut » 20 Mar 2012, 16:55

Hmmm, none listed for Taiwan, but HK got two hits:

Comic Shops near HONG KONG, CHINA include:
CLARK'S COMICS
SHOP B7 BASEMENT, CAUSEWAY BAY
CENTRE, 15-23 SUGAR STREET
HONG KONG
CHINA
Phone: 852-28907718
METRO COMICS
SHOP 112 CAUSEWAY BAY SHOPPING
CENTER, 19 SUGAR STREET
HONG KONG
CHINA
Phone: 85228951162

And Tokyo

Comic Shops near Tokyo, JAPAN include:
HONJO SHOKAI CO LTD
1-6-1 EBISUNISHI
SHIBUYAKU
Tokyo
JAPAN
150-0021
Phone: 81-334633555
NISHIYAMA YOSHO GINZA
NARITAYA BLDG 7-13 GINZA 3
CHOME CHUO-KU
Tokyo
JAPAN
104-0061
Phone: 81335620820

Plus a few more in other cities in Nippon.

Man, Korea has one:

Comic Shops near SEOUL, KOREA include:
SHOW POP
809-8 NAMYOUNG BLDG #203
YOKSUM-DONG KONG NAM-GU
SEOUL
KOREA
Phone: 310-538-2450

And most of SE Asia too. WTF? In someways, Taiwan has jumped the shark (back in 2005 it seems) in others it is getting better and better.
papercut
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 20 Mar 2012, 20:59

papercut wrote:Hmmm, none listed for Taiwan, but HK got two hits:

Comic Shops near HONG KONG, CHINA include:
CLARK'S COMICS
SHOP B7 BASEMENT, CAUSEWAY BAY
CENTRE, 15-23 SUGAR STREET
HONG KONG
CHINA
Phone: 852-28907718
METRO COMICS
SHOP 112 CAUSEWAY BAY SHOPPING
CENTER, 19 SUGAR STREET
HONG KONG
CHINA
Phone: 85228951162

And Tokyo

Comic Shops near Tokyo, JAPAN include:
HONJO SHOKAI CO LTD
1-6-1 EBISUNISHI
SHIBUYAKU
Tokyo
JAPAN
150-0021
Phone: 81-334633555
NISHIYAMA YOSHO GINZA
NARITAYA BLDG 7-13 GINZA 3
CHOME CHUO-KU
Tokyo
JAPAN
104-0061
Phone: 81335620820

Plus a few more in other cities in Nippon.

Man, Korea has one:

Comic Shops near SEOUL, KOREA include:
SHOW POP
809-8 NAMYOUNG BLDG #203
YOKSUM-DONG KONG NAM-GU
SEOUL
KOREA
Phone: 310-538-2450

And most of SE Asia too. WTF? In someways, Taiwan has jumped the shark (back in 2005 it seems) in others it is getting better and better.

How did you find this stuff out? :ponder:
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby papercut » 20 Mar 2012, 23:28

papercut
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby papercut » 20 Mar 2012, 23:34

Damn, I am a cainiao? WTF!
papercut
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

Postby ichbinjenny » 01 May 2012, 03:09

I'm going to be bringing over graphic novels (going more for the arty, literature-style comics) starting in late May and selling them in my Taichung book shop. If anyone has any special requests, please PM me.
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby Zla'od » 09 May 2012, 16:55

Eslite (near Taipei 101) has a few single-issue titles, which they stock with all the other magazines. As I recall they usually have Archie, the Simpsons, Star Wars (Dark Horse), and a few Marvel and DC titles. For graphic novels, the bookstore in Breeze Center (also Taipei) has the most, but Page One has some.

Oh yeah--both Marvel and DC now offer same-day (as the print release) e-book versions.
“If a bodhisattva resides as a householder and there appears a woman who is clearly unbound to anyone, habituated to sexual indulgence, attracted to the bodhisattva and seeking sexual activities, the bodhisattva having seen this thinks, 'Do not make her mind upset, producing much misfortune. If she pursues her desire, she will obtain freedom. As expedient means [upaya] I will take her in and have her plant the roots for virtue, also having her abandon unwholesome karma. I will engage in impure activities [abrahma-carya] with a compassionate mind.' Even practising such defiled activities like this, there is nothing that is violated [precepts], and much merit will be produced." -- from the Yogācārabhūmi Śāstra

For even more saucy Buddhist scripture, see http://sdhammika.blogspot.tw/2010/08/st ... m-all.html
Zla'od
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

78 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 18 Aug 2012, 16:13

I'd recommend going digital. Back in the days of youth & craziness, I could spend almost all of my monthly allowance in comic-books. Then I learnt how to draw properly (though maybe there's a bunch of people who can say no to that), and I stopped buying most of them, I began to grow picky. After a few years, I only kept buying some really, really good stuff that interested me.

But when I feel the need to read in bulk, to let my mind slip out of existence and just be a fanboy again, I go digital. There is a huge, and I mean, HUGE offer of comic-books freshly digitalised out there, both legal and... not so much.

I have heaps of comics (American, european and japanese) in .CBR / .CBZ format (which can be read from any tablet, both in Android or iOS, or from the computer). I got used to read from a screen a few years ago, and I keep enjoying my comics this way.

Besides, Digital has been the easiest way to bring some of my favourite comics to Taiwan. I couldn't fit my comic collection, my RPG books and my lead miniatures in a 20" container if I wanted to...
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

20 Recommends(s)
114 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 13 Sep 2012, 00:48

ichbinjenny wrote:I'm going to be bringing over graphic novels (going more for the arty, literature-style comics) starting in late May and selling them in my Taichung book shop. If anyone has any special requests, please PM me.

An update: Wilsen Books & Cards has a few shelves' worth of new graphic novels. No pamphlet-like comics, but soft and hard bound graphic novels. On the shelf now is an annotated collection of Sandman and some book from The Walking Dead series, as well as books by Daniel Clowes, Guy Delisle, and Art Spiegelman. I also have The Best American Comics Anthology from 2012 going back to 2009. Lots of random books by lesser known but not lesser quality artists/writers.

www.wilsenpublishing.com / facebook.com/wilsenpublishing
ichbinjenny

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Arts & Entertainment