Hypocrisy Regarding Climate Change

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: Hypocrisy Regarding Climate Change

Postby fred smith » 12 May 2012, 15:54

What's wrong with polar bear toys?

If you have to ask... :)
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 13 May 2012, 11:03

fred smith wrote:Finally, regardless of your much vaunted (self) involvement in NGOs in Australia, I know how they really work. This is precisely why it did not take me long to find the weakness in your argument. Now, English teaching in Taiwan can be a noble profession and don't let people demean it and don't sell yourself short BUT I know what I am talking about and you CLEARLY do not. Let it go. Be a good role model to your kindergarteners. Hello Chewy? Are you out there? I am channeling you and for VERY GOOD reason.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I was doing something useful--waterproofing the foundation of my house. :lol:

Speaking of things that are not useful---whether it's non-salaried or salaried NGO workers in the first world, I think they are both overpaid and grossly over-represented in the government sector and the parasitic social agencies/sectors that often have a symbiotic/dependency relationship with the nanny-state (but without the accountability of the private sector or even government). :lol:

Whether it is a climate change policy analyst making $88,000 dollars a year or a naive green peace canvasser making $20 dollars an hour for harassing people with his/her sophomoric beret-wearing worldview, they are all about feeling good rather than thinking about things logically and rationally. Climate change people travel all over the world to attend conferences, publish glossy pamphlets, and to defend systems such as cap and trade that often cost more to implement, staff, track and subsidize than they benefit society (they' don't). The whole industry around climate change is no different than crocodile tear social workers that profess to want to end poverty but make their living off the poor and they would be unemployed if poverty ever was alleviated. The same goes for overpaid Range-Rover driving NGO workers that work all their lives overseas with little accountability. They too profess to want to help the locals but are nothing but paternalistic flakes. Same with eco-freaks that know that pollution will never disappear but see another gravy train that they can exploit for a long time. To me, all are parasites of the worst kind.

In fact, I have more respect for English teachers in Taiwan. At least, for the most part, they are only doing damage in certain Asian locales that will take them (how much damage can Saffies and Canucks really do anyways despite their illusions of grandeur?!) and their "feel-good" politics/worldview often the reflect the fact that they'll never be in positions to enact change of any kind :lol: :lol: So I'm more content to let them stay in their backwaters and their circle of dreamers. :lol: :D It's the climate change people and the fact that they exert influence in certain industries/government structures that make them dangerous. But in the end, people will see them for the frauds they are!!! That is if they use their brain rather than their heart. Unfortunately so many on the left think with primal emotion and never develop. They are content to re-live their university years during their working lives and never awake from the slumber.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 13 May 2012, 11:47

I believe this thread has now officially jumped the shark.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

804 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 13 May 2012, 22:52

Whether it is a climate change policy analyst making $88,000 dollars a year or a naive green peace canvasser making $20 dollars an hour for harassing people with his/her sophomoric beret-wearing worldview, they are all about feeling good rather than thinking about things logically and rationally. Climate change people travel all over the world to attend conferences, publish glossy pamphlets, and to defend systems such as cap and trade that often cost more to implement, staff, track and subsidize than they benefit society (they' don't). The whole industry around climate change is no different than crocodile tear social workers that profess to want to end poverty but make their living off the poor and they would be unemployed if poverty ever was alleviated. The same goes for overpaid Range-Rover driving NGO workers that work all their lives overseas with little accountability. They too profess to want to help the locals but are nothing but paternalistic flakes. Same with eco-freaks that know that pollution will never disappear but see another gravy train that they can exploit for a long time. To me, all are parasites of the worst kind.

Amen. Could not have said it better.... though I probably have :)
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 17 May 2012, 01:59

ChewDawg wrote:Whether it is a climate change policy analyst making $88,000 dollars a year or a naive green peace canvasser making $20 dollars an hour for harassing people with his/her sophomoric beret-wearing worldview, they are all about feeling good rather than thinking about things logically and rationally. Climate change people travel all over the world to attend conferences, publish glossy pamphlets, and to defend systems such as cap and trade that often cost more to implement, staff, track and subsidize than they benefit society (they' don't). The whole industry around climate change is no different than crocodile tear social workers that profess to want to end poverty but make their living off the poor and they would be unemployed if poverty ever was alleviated. The same goes for overpaid Range-Rover driving NGO workers that work all their lives overseas with little accountability. They too profess to want to help the locals but are nothing but paternalistic flakes. Same with eco-freaks that know that pollution will never disappear but see another gravy train that they can exploit for a long time. To me, all are parasites of the worst kind.

How many of them have you met??? WHo are 'Climate change' people???

Chewy at this point, I am tempted, sorry I need to ask, what do you do?? As in work?? Like what?? Are you a scientist?? An engineer? Geography Teacher???
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

367 Recommends(s)
116 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 18 May 2012, 07:54

divea wrote:
ChewDawg wrote:Whether it is a climate change policy analyst making $88,000 dollars a year or a naive green peace canvasser making $20 dollars an hour for harassing people with his/her sophomoric beret-wearing worldview, they are all about feeling good rather than thinking about things logically and rationally. Climate change people travel all over the world to attend conferences, publish glossy pamphlets, and to defend systems such as cap and trade that often cost more to implement, staff, track and subsidize than they benefit society (they' don't). The whole industry around climate change is no different than crocodile tear social workers that profess to want to end poverty but make their living off the poor and they would be unemployed if poverty ever was alleviated. The same goes for overpaid Range-Rover driving NGO workers that work all their lives overseas with little accountability. They too profess to want to help the locals but are nothing but paternalistic flakes. Same with eco-freaks that know that pollution will never disappear but see another gravy train that they can exploit for a long time. To me, all are parasites of the worst kind.

Chewy at this point, I am tempted, sorry I need to ask, what do you do?? As in work?? Like what?? Are you a scientist?? An engineer? Geography Teacher???

Who are they? People that often work in international government organizations/NGOs on climate files. I've worked enough in government in Taiwan (working in a Ministry that was charged with all overseas missions/collaboration with international NGOS) and outside of Taiwan to see them in action, as well as traveled enough in the developing world (traveled to over 50 countries for almost half my life living overseas) to see their privileges/arrogance while surrounded by poverty :lol:
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg

110 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 18 May 2012, 12:15

ChewDawg wrote:
divea wrote:

Who are they? People that often work in international government organizations/NGOs on climate files. I've worked enough in government in Taiwan (working in a Ministry that was charged with all overseas missions/collaboration with international NGOS) and outside of Taiwan to see them in action, as well as traveled enough in the developing world (traveled to over 50 countries for almost half my life living overseas) to see their privileges/arrogance while surrounded by poverty :lol:

While you of course lived in austere, spartan digs and donated most of your salary to charities to educate local orphans?

WTF are you talking about? What you said could apply to any foreign businessperson, consultant, project manager, or aid worker. WTF does that have to do with GW? :lol:
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 18 May 2012, 17:53

While you of course lived in austere, spartan digs and donated most of your salary to charities to educate local orphans?

WTF are you talking about? What you said could apply to any foreign businessperson, consultant, project manager, or aid worker. WTF does that have to do with GW?

Ah... au contraire... it is not the businessperson, consultant, project manager who is out to "save the world." Even worse, none of them are hyping projects or products that MUST be adopted or the WORLD WILL END... THAT is the difference... Successful businesspeople are successful most often because they produce or deliver something of value. Note that this is not always the case... one pictures the Chia pet... In 30 plus years of climate change alarmism, what have these "individuals' and NGOs contributed except "raising awareness" or "empowering people to adopt green lifestyles?" What has changed? the temperature? the levels of CO2? What? and how exactly does going to Rio help? Would not the appropriate "green" solution be for them to stay home and videoconference? Why is it that the climate change crowd loves to travel so? and how really are they "offsetting" their CO2 contribution? by sending a few dollars to the NGO run by another friend or acquaintance who is supposedly "reforesting?" and why would the NGO be the appropriate person to do this as opposed to a successful, "sustainable" forestry program run by say a lumber company? Who ultimately is planting more trees?
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 18 May 2012, 18:30

Fred, get over it. That's the way the world works. It's one big Old Boys' Club, nudge nudge wink wink here's a few grand for your new green 'project'. I've spent hours in meetings with government pen-pushers, grant fund administrators, consultants, etc etc etc., all purportedly with a mission to change the world. All hot air and no action. The bottom line is, they know a good scam when they see one. We were once offered a grant to hire a consultant who would help us apply for a grant. We went for it, just out of pure curiosity. Consultant got his money (GBP2000 of taxpayer's cash, iirc), a sheaf of paperwork was submitted to some gov't black hole, and nothing more was ever said. It's far worse than even you or Chewy could possibly imagine.

But so what? That doesn't stop you, or anybody else, investing in a worthwhile business that's doing some good (maybe climate-change related, maybe not) and making a profit. I don't have any time for the characters who swan around in dirt-poor Indian villages setting up boreholes and handing out a few rupees. They're not helping - they're just feeding their own egos. On the other hand, there are hard-headed businessmen doing the rounds in those same Indian villages setting up rainwater filters and charging money for them. The money is sometimes provided by other hard-headed businessmen offering loans at high interest rates. And it works. And you could do that too, if you wanted.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Steviebike » 18 May 2012, 18:39

To add some fuel to the ever growing fire...

Most charities/NGO/NPO fundraise, the figures that are alarming are how it costs, most of these charities have a deal with a third party company that fundraises for them. In some cases the margin the charity gets is so low (like $5 out of $100). So those who believe the money is going to the causes they care about, think very carefully.
Just checking but you're a South African Engrish Teachur right? No. I'm a Russian nuclear physicist.
Forumosan avatar
Steviebike
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

70 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics