Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Post Gadaffi Libya - What Now?

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: Post Gadaffi Libya - What Now?

Postby Tigerman » 23 Feb 2012, 12:25

Gosh... the fun never stops.

So, it was a good idea to help these militias topple Gadaffi?
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 29 Mar 2012, 22:34

Libya remains unsettled. There are reports of fresh fighting among rebels, and of 70 deaths and another 150 casualties in the town of Sabha. This news comes after news of tribal clashes in southern Libya just a few days ago, where at least 30 were killed.

Libyans are still fleeing across the Med, and many are paying a terrible price for their efforts. And there are fresh reports of NATO failing to rescue distressed migrant boats.

Is NATO dropping the ball here? Gadaffi was an SOB, for certain. But, he was no threat to NATO nor to his own people, and then only when they rebelled.

So, now what? If, as the argument went, we had a R2P (responsibility to protect) when we thought Gadaffi was going to massacre the people in the rebellious city of Benghazi, what now is our responsibility?
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Post Gadaffi Libya - What Now?

Postby headhonchoII » 29 Mar 2012, 23:02

Gadhaffi was no threat to his own people?

Right.

Now if you said things were better off overall under Gadhaffi you might have a point unless they can get their act together there, but a lot of this was going to happen anyway as Gadhaffi centralized all power through himself, there are no structures to bind the country.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

This post was recommended by Alkibiades (29 Mar 2012, 23:46)
Rating: 4%
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1624 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 30 Mar 2012, 12:01

headhonchoII wrote:Gadhaffi was no threat to his own people?

Right.

Like I said... Gadaffi was a SOB. But, he was not an immediate threat to the Libyan people until they rebelled. There are nasty, inept, corrupt leaders all over the world. But, we leave most of them alone. We chose to act in Libya. We encouraged the rebellion, which likely... arguably caused more loss of life and destruction than would Gadaffi putting down the rebellion have.

But, I'm not asking about or arguing that. I'm asking specifically... if we had a R2P before, what now is our responsibility to Libya?

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 30 Mar 2012, 12:31

Tigerman wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Gadhaffi was no threat to his own people?

Right.

Like I said... Gadaffi was a SOB. But, he was not an immediate threat to the Libyan people until they rebelled. There are nasty, inept, corrupt leaders all over the world. But, we leave most of them alone. We chose to act in Libya. We encouraged the rebellion, which likely... arguably caused more loss of life and destruction than would Gadaffi putting down the rebellion have.

But, I'm not asking about or arguing that. I'm asking specifically... if we had a R2P before, what now is our responsibility to Libya?

I assume, you are referring to NATO? As a military alliance they would have no further responsibility. IMHO, they should not have got involved at all, as they did more worse than good.
This problem should now fall under the UN. The problem there is that the UN is the most useless, corrupt organisation on the planet, with zero power or credibility.
My god, look at the UN debacle with Syria.

:2cents:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 04 Apr 2012, 23:50

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 21 Jun 2012, 16:48

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

258 Recommends(s)
188 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 21 Jun 2012, 21:52

What the ignorant who love to shout democracy for all fail to often understand is that unfortunately, in many Arab countries a strongman is needed to keep the whole mess together.

There same people are the ones scratching their heads in bewilderment when it all goes to shit.

If this mess ever settles, which is extremely unlikely, with all the warring clans, blood feuds, warlords, religious extremists etc, the body count will make Gadaffi look like the tooth fairy.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 21 Jun 2012, 23:39

bigduke6 wrote:What the ignorant who love to shout democracy for all fail to often understand is that unfortunately, in many Arab countries a strongman is needed to keep the whole mess together.

Riiiight. The same excuse trotted out to defend dictatorships everywhere. Disproved, time and again.
Democracy is tough to get right. The process is messy, and frequently (nearly always) violent.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 21 Jun 2012, 23:53

Where is the international community lending a hand?

Well the UN was at the lead heading BACK into Iraq until the first bombing... then, they all ran away despite being needed most and the last time that I checked the mandate was to resolve these types of conflicts... oh well... when the going gets tough the UN gets going... out the door.

Of course, the UN was the lead organization in setting up the Oil for Food program and we all know what a success that was. Why doubt its ability to deal with Syria and Libya? That is just wrong...
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics