I'm Running For Alderman (Councilman) in Milwaukee, WI

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

I'm Running For Alderman (Councilman) in Milwaukee, WI

Postby miltownkid » 11 Nov 2011, 21:57

Sup Forumosa!

I still don't like politics, but I'm running for office. Thought there might be one or two of you that would like to know. I wrote a blog post about why I'm running (if you really wanted to know).

Here are some early drafts of the campaign slogan:
  • Vote for me. I'm crazy. Vote for me.
  • I'm crazy. You're crazy. Vote for crazy.
  • Vote for crazy

This might get epic... See you on CNN! :D ;)
Available for Daoist Wizarding - [Contact info]
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Re: I'm Running For Alderman (Councilman) in Milwaukee, WI

Postby jdsmith » 11 Nov 2011, 22:01

I think it's great MTK!

Are you taking this seriously though?

You're a smart and charismatic guy, but you shouldn't aught to fuck with people's hopes and needs.

:thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby miltownkid » 11 Nov 2011, 22:38

jdsmith wrote:I think it's great MTK!

Are you taking this seriously though?

You're a smart and charismatic guy, but you shouldn't aught to fuck with people's hopes and needs.

:thumbsup:

SERIOUS AS A HEART ATTACK!

My campaign manager told me there are two paths I can take:
  • Trying to win the seat
  • Trying to win the issues

Trying to win the seat would involve me... most likely doing all the things I don't like (I REALLY want to say hate) about politics. Trying to win the issues means I get to... be me! :D

Some things that have REALLY been irking me is how slow government (local and in general) has been in adapting this "new media." I'm REALLY interested in government, economics, debate and why things are done the way they are done. With the simple addition of a blog an alderman could; keep his constituents in the loop about general topics, alert people to upcoming votes, explain why he voted the way he voted and give everyone an opportunity to voice their opinion about the decisions he makes (thus truly representing the people).

The above is something really basic. Something a little more interesting is that I've had... for going on 4 years now, the City of Milwauke [Twitter] with 6,400 "followers" and [Facebook Page] with 18,700 "fans" (I almost forgot, I have the YouTube account too, but it's not all that special) and done a pretty good job with controlling my urges to TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO! lol

I've been trying, for the last three years, to get someone in City Hall to take the accounts and do something cool with them. I'd always get turned away, told they didn't know what to do with them/didn't need them, and most recently that there's no person that COULD take them! (Although I also found out that our city now officially has a "social media protocol" which is actually pretty cool.)

I think the only way to get their attention is to make a point to them of how useful all of this stuff can be for organizing and campaigning (when a digital ninja is working in the background).

In order to do that I'm going to put everything I can into "winning" (on the "open government" issue and... maybe actually the election! Now THAT would be... epic.)

My campaign manager is a 62 year old old school union organizer from New York who's campaign management record is 56 and 9 (he told me that 9 always bothered him and he'd like to see it get into the double digits... lol). His son also played a role managing Obama's social efforts in 2008...

This will be interesting. The worst thing that can happen is I'm going to learn a bunch of new stuff. :D
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 11 Nov 2011, 23:23

Well, you know me MTK. To win the seat, you need to raise the money. At this level, politics is problem solving and ass kissing.

Cover your ass and tighten up any loose strings and run, brother!

RUN! :)

I'm proud of you. Really. :thumbsup:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 11 Nov 2011, 23:38

Wow, that's impressive! I think you're the first Forumosan to ever run for political office. The rest of us are busy crowing from our arm chairs. JD is right though, fundraising is key. How's that going?
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

163 Recommends(s)
298 Recognized(s)

Postby miltownkid » 11 Nov 2011, 23:45

Gao Bohan wrote:Wow, that's impressive! I think you're the first Forumosan to ever run for political office. The rest of us are busy crowing from our arm chairs. JD is right though, fundraising is key. How's that going?

Without asking for any money I've received a promise for $1,000 (from a VERY reliable source). The funny thing (to me) is that... I really don't know what the money gets spent on. lol I'm a digital ninja that rolls with a bunch of digital ninjas. I also know how to mobilize people IRL (and teach people to do the same). I've been doing everything I do with no money but... I'm sure my campaign manager will figure out a way to spend whatever gets raised.

I've been kicking around the interwebz and the streets for a while now. I know one or two people that would donate some money for something like this. :)

In martial arts we call the people that spend all of their time online talking about it and little to no time on the mats "keyboard warriors." ;)
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 12 Nov 2011, 01:33

Gao Bohan wrote: I think you're the first Forumosan to ever run for political office.

As usual, you are wrong! :lol: :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=64507&p=830043&hilit=maine+Democrat#p830043
http://maine.gov/legis/house/hsebios/obriar.htm
http://www.maine.gov/legis/housedems/aobrien/

From 2001 to 2007, he lived and worked in Taiwan as a teacher and political reporter.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby tash » 12 Nov 2011, 02:15

Fantastic news, MTK! Why am I not surprised ;)
tash
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

24 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby Bubba 2 Guns » 12 Nov 2011, 02:32

You're gonna go all the way man! You're blacker than Obama and you got mad martial art skills to hammer your points home. It'll be like voting Shaft into office.

Two pieces of advice.

1. Don't shave your beard! It's been almost a hundred years since we had a great politician with a beard. We need more beards in politics regardless of gender.
2. Brush up on your Spanish-they're the voters of the future.

I'll pay off all the Psycho Xiao-jies you met in Taiwan. I got you covered over here. Remember when you make it into the white house to make Taiwan a protectorate of the US. I'd like to submit my application early as Gov.-General on Taiwan. I'm going shake this place upside down and give it a good ass kicking! First I want Chiang, Kai-Chek's old cadillac that they keep in his museum at the memorial as my staff car. And as for the staff-well I'll hand pick them from the finer establishments on Linsen North Road. MTK! MTK MTK!
""It occurred to me, the basis of fiction, is that people have some sort of connection with each other that they don't" -Richard Harrow
Forumosan avatar
Bubba 2 Guns
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

Postby miltownkid » 12 Nov 2011, 02:39

Bubba 2 Guns wrote: 1. Don't shave your beard! It's been almost a hundred years since we had a great politician with a beard. We need more beards in politics regardless of gender.
2. Brush up on your Spanish-they're the voters of the future.

Best two pieces of advice I've gotten so far! :lol:

I actually attended a Spanish Immersion grade school and was fluent at one point in life (took my classes in spanish and whatnot). Guess it's time to dust off that old jacket... :)
Forumosan avatar
miltownkid

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Politics