Republican Presidential Primary II

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Mick » 11 May 2012, 12:36

This news won't help Romney. Mitt Romney, Anti-Gay Bully?

Mitt Romney ... spotted something he thought did not belong at a school where the boys wore ties and carried briefcases. John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn't having it.

"He can't look like that. That's wrong. Just look at him!" an incensed Romney told Matthew Friedemann, his close friend in the Stevens Hall dorm, according to Friedemann's recollection. Mitt, the teenaged son of Michigan Gov. George Romney, kept complaining about Lauber's look, Friedemann recalled.

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school's collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber's hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.


Well, that's not very nice. Of course it was a long time ago, apparently verified by independently talking to 5 others who were present. However for the moment, Romney has no recollection of the alleged incident, which if true is about as disturbing as the incident itself. The victim however, seemed to recall the incident very clearly.

One of his former bullies, David Seed, ran into Lauber in an airport in the mid-1990s and approached him, apologizing for his role in what happened all those years ago. Lauber told him that the attack was "horrible" and recounted how frightened he felt as it took place, then acknowledged, "It's something I have thought about a lot since then." We'll never know whether those scars ever fully healed for John Lauber; he died in 2004.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
 
Posts: 2849
Joined: 13 Aug 2006, 18:36
Location: Taipei
43 Recommends(s)
55 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Jaboney » 11 May 2012, 12:50

Mick wrote:This news won't help Romney.

Nope. Makes him look like an asshole.

Might go a long way to changing the impression of him -- not so much a decent man; more a bot with a nasty streak.

Nice intro to the issue, but...
Slate wrote: One of the many tensions in evaluating presidential candidates is that we don't want to disqualify them based on the stupidity of their youth. George W. Bush's blanket denial that "when I was young and irresponsible I was young and irresponsible" seems like a good rule. On the other hand, we want to know who these candidates are who seek to lead us (especially when they spend so much time offering us synthetic versions of themselves).
...what W was when he was young and irresponsible seems like a pretty decent guide to what he was as president. Ok, he wasn't young, or drunk, or on coke. But shallow, irresponsible, etc, etc... yeah. Didn't change much.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10735
Joined: 09 Jun 2005, 02:02
Location: Broadcasting from Neihu
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Kea » 11 May 2012, 14:32

elektronisk wrote:
Kea wrote:I did click and save the khan link, cheers.

It's early yet, there's still 2 months or more of fun to go before Tampa, and RP's increasing in momentum all the time. Most of those denigrating him here haven't a clue what fascinating things went on over the weekend, and hence can't be taken seriously in their views. If they start discussing facts, then I'll rejoin the thread, till then I see it as just more uninformed opinions-opinions are like ass holes. Everyone has one.....

Ron Paul is a true patriot for his country and a man that deserves the utmost respect. Whether he'll win or not is touch and go, but it doesn't change the fact he's been putting out coherent libertarian views for hundreds of thousands of crowd attendees, not bad for a man in his late 70's. He's the most non-corruptible politician in America. And, I've given the reasons in an earlier post why I would like to see him win.


I wish all discussions could be held like this and around a table that never ends. life is too short.

Probably the most insightful words ever posted here if anyone might consider reading them. Thank you Kea for making my day and life better. I won't stop if you agree that you won't stop too. Let the blind shoot me first.

Options. Such a useful word. Sorry, fear doesn't work anymore.

Thanks, things continue to get more interesting. Posters should discuss facts, not repeatedly troll their dated opinions of RP.
Here's a fact to discuss: All delegates unbound? RNC approves....
Jennifer Sheehan, Legal Counsel for the RNC, plainly stated in a letter to Nancy Lord, Utah National Committeewoman, several weeks before the convention, “[The] RNC does not recognize a state’s binding of national delegates, but considers each delegate a free agent who can vote for whoever they choose.” And, “The national convention allows delegates to vote for the individual of their choice, regardless of whether the person’s name is officially placed into nomination or not.”

However, the context for this is complicated, and GOP will probably get their wishes, and Romney will be anointed.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: 24 Mar 2004, 13:29
15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Cooperations » 12 May 2012, 00:59

Mick wrote:Well, that's not very nice. Of course it was a long time ago, apparently verified by independently talking to 5 others who were present. However for the moment, Romney has no recollection of the alleged incident, which if true is about as disturbing as the incident itself. The victim however, seemed to recall the incident very clearly.
Romney has been claiming the Reagan legacy for a long time. Congratulations to the campaign! It looks like he has finally captured the essence of Reagan :lol: .
Forumosan avatar
Cooperations
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 363
Joined: 27 Oct 2011, 11:05
22 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Kea » 13 May 2012, 11:41

Oklahoma goes to Paul after yet more Romney campaign cheating.
http://www.reddirtreport.com/Story.aspx/22278

Add in Arizona and Virginia. More later.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: 24 Mar 2004, 13:29
15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby GuyInTaiwan » 14 May 2012, 08:50

Dare I say it, but I think what might be more interesting or effective would be if the Americans copied the French. Ron Paul is never going to really be in the hunt because when push comes to shove, a lot of people will see him as a spoiler who will lead to the re-election of Obama. Whilst a lot of people don't like Romney, they absolutely loathe Obama, and so they will not do anything that will hand him re-election.

However, if Paul could declare himself an independent candidate and if there were a run-off in the same manner that the French do, then a lot more people would vote for him, and I wonder if that number might even be more than Romney. Then there'd be a head to head between Obama and Paul. Things would get very interesting then.
And you coming in to scold us all like some kind of sour-puss kindie assistant who favors olive cardigans and lemon drinks without sugar. -- Muzha Man

One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words "Socialism" and "Communism" draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice drinker, nudist, sandal-wearer, sex-maniac, Quaker, "Nature Cure" quack, pacifist, and feminist in England. -- George Orwell
GuyInTaiwan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
 
Posts: 7231
Joined: 10 Jun 2008, 23:01
341 Recommends(s)
269 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Kea » 14 May 2012, 16:30

GuyInTaiwan wrote:Dare I say it, but I think what might be more interesting or effective would be if the Americans copied the French. Ron Paul is never going to really be in the hunt because when push comes to shove, a lot of people will see him as a spoiler who will lead to the re-election of Obama. Whilst a lot of people don't like Romney, they absolutely loathe Obama, and so they will not do anything that will hand him re-election.

However, if Paul could declare himself an independent candidate and if there were a run-off in the same manner that the French do, then a lot more people would vote for him, and I wonder if that number might even be more than Romney. Then there'd be a head to head between Obama and Paul. Things would get very interesting then.

Well, he's tied in to the Republican process till Tampa, and has admitted that. He's got so many many people's help he has to honour their efforts at the RNC. After that, who knows, depending how he's treated and the momentum he has, but I doubt it. Further, I think he's respectful and trying to change the party from within, through cooperation and creation, not destruction. Example...

Too many rich people in politics and business have too much to lose to see RP win, and they're doing a lot to stop him. Some of them are being swept out in the process. The final solution? That would almost spark a revolution.

As I've said, it's likely (still) that Romney will get the nom, but it's getting squeaky close and he's cheating at every state convention. Some presidential candidate, some party. Still, the Paul campaign is being poorly run, they didn't even know about OK till Monday. Pitiful, they should have had officials helping out the grassroots supporters, Romney sure does.

Oklahoma was a mess, the establishment didn't have the numbers to win, so tried to ram through their slate in contravention of numerous rules, then turned off the lights. The Paul delegates recorded the whole thing streaming live on the net, then continued the meeting perfectly according to the law outside-and swept the delegate count. What will happen next regarding that election is anyone's guess.
Arizona was 15/29 for RP delegates.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: 24 Mar 2004, 13:29
15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby fred smith » 14 May 2012, 17:46

The final solution? That would almost spark a revolution.


I think that your invective and hyperbole is seriously mixing up major historical movements and occurrences. As to sparking a revolution... um... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 16508
Joined: 11 Oct 2002, 17:14
54 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Kea » 14 May 2012, 18:19

fred smith wrote:
The final solution? That would almost spark a revolution.


I think that your invective and hyperbole is seriously mixing up major historical movements and occurrences. As to sparking a revolution... um... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

fair enough. hyperbole on result-American's are too lazy, but you can be sure the establishment is willing to do anything, although they may not have the chance.

More importantly, do you have anything interesting and factual to add, or yet more tedious talking out one's rear end? All you ever do is criticise other posters, like a scavenger, creating nothing. Impress me.

I just want to add: this is the most interesting and contested republican contest in many years, you must be well aware of all the heartfelt effort that's going in across your county in defence of the constitution, yet you say nothing positive about it. Jaded, much? Shame on you.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1355
Joined: 24 Mar 2004, 13:29
15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

6000

Re: Republican Presidential Primary II

Postby Jaboney » 15 May 2012, 15:10

The Atlantic: Ron Paul Admits He Will Not Be President wrote:Ron Paul announced Monday the Texas congressman will not campaign in the states that have yet to vote in the Republican primary. And while Paul insisted that the campaign would continue to amass delegates, the statement -- which referred to the campaign in the past tense -- appeared to be an admission that he is no longer vying for the presidential nomination.

"This campaign fought hard and won electoral success that the talking heads and pundits never thought possible," Paul said in the statement issued Monday afternoon. "But, this campaign is also about more than just the 2012 election.... It is about the campaign for Liberty, which has taken a tremendous leap forward in this election and will continue to grow stronger in the future until we finally win."

The campaign, Paul said, "will continue to work in the state convention process" in order to "carry a strong message to the Republican National Convention that Liberty is the way of the future. Moving forward, however, we will no longer spend resources campaigning in primaries in states that have not yet voted."

There are 11 states that have yet to hold presidential primaries, from Oregon and Nebraska, which vote on Tuesday, to Paul's home state of Texas on May 29, and finally Utah on June 26. Paul said competing in those states "with any hope of success would take many tens of millions of dollars we simply do not have."

Though the statement is a bit cryptic, it seems to be a message directed mainly at Paul's activist following. The message: Cool it.
Anything to add?
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10735
Joined: 09 Jun 2005, 02:02
Location: Broadcasting from Neihu
22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

6000

PreviousNext




 
 
 x

Return to International Politics



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 4 visitors

I just had an audition to play the role of Jesus — I nailed it! I think they are going to bring me back. This could resurrect my career. -- STEWART FRANCIS