Gao Bohan wrote:Ron Paul never had a prayer. Sure it was close for a while between Romney, Santorum, and Gingrich, but Paul wasn't a serious contender. Romney currently has 1076 delegates and Ron Paul has 119. Romney will be the Republican nominee. What's to discuss?
No libertarian will ever be elected president. Most Americans are small government philosophically but big government practically. Popular programs like Social Security and Medicare, plus defense spending and the required debt payments constitute 88% of federal spending. The other 12% is the so called "Big Government" the majority dislikes, and yet it's those agencies that keep the infrastructure intact, protect workers, protect consumers, protect the environment, protect property rights, punish criminals, and employ millions of people if you count both civil servants and contractors. Libertarianism is little more than a fringe element of the Republican base and has never and will never drive public policy.
Oh sure, the odd libertarian is elected to Congress, even the Senate on occasion, but they usually just fall in line with the mainstream GOP. Ron Paul is known as "Dr. No" for good reason, as he is constantly the odd man out. I admire that he stays true to his convictions, but he's an oddity, not a mover and shaker.
FACT: The current delegate count is approx. MR 496, RP 186, with an undetermined number of hidden delegates and a court challenge. Of course after all state conventions are over, MR will probably have the 1144+, but until then it's propaganda.
FACT: MR’s team and the GOP have engaged in civil election fraud the whole way through. Do you get your news through the mass media? Unwise.
Of course the odds are MR will win, it’s unlikely the establishment will let RP destroy their cushy set-up-as you spelled out. That’s a lot of money and a lot of jobs. Some of the platform RP has been running on is where the GOP will move towards in coming months/years, even if some of his supporters are fringe. They have demographics and economic reality on their side.
FACT: There are more Libertarians being elected at State and National level govt. this year riding on the groundswell of support RP has created.
In Tampa RP delegates will do their best to put GOP feet to the fire. RP himself is asking for decent conduct, and ultimately the numbers may be insufficient. It’s much better than anybody expected at the start, but probably not enough to win. It’s been a fascinating process watching the tussle state by state. However, the RP campaign hasn't been very well managed. He's also faced a media blackout since before Iowa.
I’ve stated several times what particular policy I like of RP’s, not his whole platform. At least I do not live there so do not care that much or endure the total BS coming from the mass media.
EDIT...even though you, like the rest go quiet when I post facts to disagree with your opinion, I'll continue to be the only one contributing to this thread topic: Watch this:
June 2nd - Louisiana - 46 delegates
June 2nd - Washington - 43 delegates
June 2nd - Missouri - 52 delegates
June 3rd - North Carolina - 55 delegates
June 5th - California - 172 delegates
June 5th - South Dakota - 28 delegates
June 9th - Illinois
June 9th - Indiana
June 9th - Kentucky
June 9th - Texas
June 16th - Montana
June 16th - Virgina
June 16th - Iowa
June 16th - New Mexico
June 23rd - Idaho
June 23rd - Oregon