Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

More OT from: Occupy Wall Street: What do you think? (Part 2)

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

More OT from: Occupy Wall Street: What do you think? (Part 2)

Postby Border Security » 15 Dec 2011, 00:29

fred smith wrote:
Anti-advertising agency, actually. Called Adbusters. Damned Canadians; always creating a fuss. Maybe the States ought to sell them over-priced fighter jets and-- just for good measure-- make 'em wait real long for them. Oh, wait. Already done.

What is an anti-advertising agency and did creating the Occupy Wall Street movement earn it stripes or street cred for its success in marshalling so many people and how will that success be used? to advance the goals of the organization in some way? and will any of these advances (no doubt for the best of intentions) lead like the global warming er climate change movement to research (cough cough) grants flowing into its coffers and-or will the notoriety it has gained lead to support (financial of course cough cough) from foundations and NGOs interested in advancing, er, (cough cough) social justice? starting with themselves first? Hey, that could be a new slogan with re-engineered wording... social justice begins at home... how´s that?

Who knows on all points? But it did annoy you folks plenty. Grants (cough cough)? Naw. Not under a Conservative government in Canada (cough cough). Only thing flowing is oil from Alberta (cough cough). There must be a cold going around.
Can I see your identification, please?
Forumosan avatar
Border Security
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Re: Occupy Wall Street: What do you think? (Part 2) POLL

Postby fred smith » 15 Dec 2011, 01:04

But it did annoy you folks plenty.

A very sad indictment of Canada. Is this really all that Canada has to offer the world? to serve as an annoyance to the United States? That seems desperately perversely nihilistically incoherent... ah... the Occupy Wall Street movement... okay, I am starting to get this now... but seriously... what is Canada´s market position? annoying little sister? tantrum-throwing tot? sassy moody teenager? wouldn´t this nation like to graduate to something a bit more positive and helpful? I guess that we can say Canada is France on diet pills... that´s kind of funny isn´t it?
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Border Security » 15 Dec 2011, 01:05

fred smith wrote:Let´s take a closer look at Adbusters... The site is filled with eye-opening details but I thought that the consumerism of anti-consumerism was amusing and so am only posting that segment...

I can certainly see how this organization would ad-tract (haha) the muddled mindless minions of the left... to an Occupy Wall Street protest, the latest and greatest of its many ¨non-profit¨ ventures... read on and weep!

Selling Anti-Consumerism

Adbusters may try to discourage buying, but obviously not when it comes to its own wares. Lasn has claimed that the magazine “is trying to sell ideas rather than products.” A look at its order form tells another story.

The slick glossy has a cover price of $7.95 -- more than twice the price of People, Vogue, or GQ. The Adbusters website features a plethora of products for sale, including videos, posters, calendars, postcards, books, and even a 3x5-foot “corporate” flag -- the American flag with the stars replaced by corporate logos. In 2002, Adbusters suggested substituting its version for the real Stars and Stripes on July 4 in front of stores, schools, and embassies.

Adbusters can’t seem to help biting even the hip, corporate hands that feed it. One issue featured a fashion layout, for which the magazine thanked such retailers as Banana Republic for providing clothes. Another issue, however, mocked The Gap, Banana Republic’s sister corporation, on its the back cover.

Even supporters of the magazine have noticed its incongruities. Early issues contained angry letters from readers who wanted to know why the magazine was not published on recycled paper.

Lasn plans to publish another book. Design Anarchy will be a large, graphic tome that should be out in time for Christmas 2005. “I want to sell as many copies of this as possible,” he gushed to DiSCORDER magazine. “It may also cost a lot of money. We may actually sell it for $100.”

Adbusters is even getting into the shoe business. It will start flogging the Black Spot sneaker next year. The retro black canvas shoe’s logo is, as the name suggests, a black spot. The marketing for the shoe is well under way, even though Adbusters has no prototype, manufacturer, distributor, business plan, designer or suggested price. The first shoe will be manufactured after 5,000 orders have been received. The group plans to spend $250,000 on the campaign.

Lasn himself is a tangle of contradictions. His book is filled with references to and metaphors of the popular culture he decries. He mines what he claims is a “soulless” culture to express his most important thoughts and feelings.

He has called the automobile “arguably the most destructive product we humans have ever produced.” Yet he cheerfully drives a Toyota, as he writes in Culture Jam: “The love of convenience, the time I save, the speed and the power, and the lack of viable alternatives trump my hate more often than not.” In typically elitist fashion, what is “convenience” for Lasn is brainwashing for the masses.

A reporter from the Sydney Sun Herald asked Lasn whether he ever eats at McDonald’s. He admitted he did and explained, “People ask me this all the time -- it’s very embarrassing -- but I’m just a walking, talking contradiction. I'm not pure, and I don't feel like I want to be all that pure.” Why Americans must be purer than Kalle Lasn is something he has refused to explain.

http://activistcash.com/organization_ov ... -adbusters

On that note, how much do you figure Michael Moore or Naomi Klein get for speaking at events? Good business model. I wish I were as smart (you too?). Maybe we should start a leftist publication together, Fred.
Forumosan avatar
Border Security
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Border Security » 15 Dec 2011, 01:07

fred smith wrote:

A very sad indictment of Canada. Is this really all that Canada has to offer the world? to serve as an annoyance to the United States? That seems desperately perversely nihilistically incoherent... ah... the Occupy Wall Street movement... okay, I am starting to get this now... but seriously... what is Canada´s market position? annoying little sister? tantrum-throwing tot? sassy moody teenager? wouldn´t this nation like to graduate to something a bit more positive and helpful? I guess that we can say Canada is France on diet pills... that´s kind of funny isn´t it?

Yup. That and a good portion of your oil. Oh yeah, and the raw material for your nuclear weapons, too. Back Bacon? Saved some just for ya.
Forumosan avatar
Border Security
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 15 Dec 2011, 01:20

Yup. That and a good portion of your oil. Oh yeah, and the raw material for your nuclear weapons, too. Back Bacon? Saved some just for ya.

Thanks Lil Sis... how´s that diet working out for you?
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Border Security » 15 Dec 2011, 01:24

fred smith wrote:

Thanks Lil Sis... how´s that diet working out for you?

I am for you, Fred Smith!
Forumosan avatar
Border Security
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
3 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 15 Dec 2011, 01:27

Camel toe is out under the new austerity measures.
X

This post was recommended by Border Security (15 Dec 2011, 01:34)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

160 Recommends(s)
139 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 15 Dec 2011, 01:44

fred smith wrote:

Nope. Very financially sound place over all, with excellent prospects for the future. Not a perfect place, but a place where both freedom and harmony are valued, and are embodied within the society. Loads of lovely fresh water, trees, ice, bears - and oh yes, minerals, oil and diamonds. We got the world's best security contract and we don't have to listen to Rush Limbaugh.

I think this example is one to offer to the world.

But criticize the US? That's a bit narrow. Canadians probably understand the Americans better than any other country, and the anti-Americanism, such as it is, is largely just a bit of attitude. We are stalwart allies, and have been for a long time.

So we have Naomi Klein. But I'd rather look at her than Rush Limbaugh!
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

112 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 15 Dec 2011, 02:13

BigJohn wrote:Nope. Very financially sound place over all, with excellent prospects for the future. Not a perfect place, but a place where both freedom and harmony are valued, and are embodied within the society. Loads of lovely fresh water, trees, ice, bears - and oh yes, minerals, oil and diamonds. We got the world's best security contract and we don't have to listen to Rush Limbaugh. I think this example is one to offer to the world. !

So when are you moving there? Sounds too good to be true. Pity about the lack of sunshine though.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby BigJohn » 15 Dec 2011, 02:35

Satellite TV wrote:
BigJohn wrote:Nope. Very financially sound place over all, with excellent prospects for the future. Not a perfect place, but a place where both freedom and harmony are valued, and are embodied within the society. Loads of lovely fresh water, trees, ice, bears - and oh yes, minerals, oil and diamonds. We got the world's best security contract and we don't have to listen to Rush Limbaugh. I think this example is one to offer to the world. !

So when are you moving there? Sounds too good to be true. Pity about the lack of sunshine though.

Less sunshine than Australia, a lot more water!
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

112 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Politics