China as global hegemon?

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

China as global hegemon?

Postby allperils » 22 Dec 2011, 04:49

Since when has China ever sought to be a Globel Hegemon anyway? Are there any actions that show they are?
allperils
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: China as global hegemon?

Postby headhonchoII » 22 Dec 2011, 11:54

Japan has Pokemon, now China has Hegemon, the copying b#@tards!
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1833 Recommends(s)
658 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 22 Dec 2011, 12:01

No worries, it'll probably fall to pieces as soon as someone takes off the wrapper.

Anyway, seriously OP, yes there are. China is targeting places that don't make the news because they don't exist for American news-consumers. The most conspicuous are the land grabs in Africa. In theory, the Chinese investors are offering 'development' for the locals and paying a fair price for the land lease. In practice, China haven't got a clue what development is: China's official IHDI is slightly higher that the Philippines, Vietnam, and Kyrgyzstan, and somewhat lower than Thailand and Gabon. Yet they're strutting around the world stage attempting to civilise the natives.

The result is that the promised infrastructure and buildings they install are substandard and don't last very long: Chinese engineering is decades behind the state-of-the-art and they certainly have no innovations that would benefit African countries. The natives are restless and the Chinese are starting to irritate them. The land deals are mostly under-the-table (remember Madagascar?) and are generally a loss-making proposition - that is, the land is being leased at well below fair value, especially where the host country isn't making good use of it to begin with. China has regular squabbles and glaring-over-the-border sessions with India (like it actually matters where one draws the line between rocks and sheep on this side and on that side). And do we need to even mention Tibet and Taiwan?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

926 Recommends(s)
688 Recognized(s)

Postby Jack Burton » 22 Dec 2011, 12:17

nice post. finley. China has plenty of problems at home, nevermind Africa lol
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton

4 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 22 Dec 2011, 14:10

As an African I would quite like them to stay the hell out of Africa.

I've heard nothing but bad news stories re. the Chinese in Africa - http://www.inthesetimes.com/working/entry/6581/zambia_mine_shooting_blights_chinese_development_in_africa/
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to International Politics