The Republican War Against Women is a Load of Crap

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: The Republican War Against Women is a Load of Crap

Postby jdsmith » 12 Apr 2012, 11:10

Obahblah, setting the example:

Female employees in the Obama White House make considerably less than their male colleagues, records show.

According to the 2011 annual report on White House staff, female employees earned a median annual salary of $60,000, which was about 18 percent less than the median salary for male employees ($71,000).
http://freebeacon.com/hostile-workplace/

Now, given that this is do as I say, not as I do Oblamania, there must be some irony in here:
The Obama campaign on Wednesday lashed out at presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney for his failure to immediately endorse the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Restoration Act, a controversial law enacted in 2009 that made it easier to file discrimination lawsuits.

President Obama has frequently criticized the gender pay gap, such as the one that exists in White House.

“Paycheck discrimination hurts families who lose out on badly needed income,” he said in a July 2010 statement. “And with so many families depending on women’s wages, it hurts the American economy as a whole
.”

Irony. Check. :thumbsdown:

Any PKB (pot kettle black)?
The president and his Democratic allies have accused Republicans of waging a “war on women,” and have touted themselves as champions of female equality. Obama’s rhetoric, however, has not always been supported by his actions.

Check. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Double down on the irony and smarminess?
White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters last week that Obama believes it is “long past the time” for women to be admitted to the traditionally all-male Augusta National Golf Club, site of the Masters golf tournament.But the president has demonstrated a strong preference for all-male foursomes in his frequent golf outings, a bias that extends well beyond the putting green and into the Oval Office.

“Women are Obama’s base, and they don’t seem to have enough people who look like the base inside of their own inner circle,” former Clinton press secretary Dee Dee Myers told the New York Times.

In a 2011 article titled “The White House Boys’ Club: President Obama Has a Woman Problem,” TIME magazine’s Amy Sullivan detailed the president’s fondness for male-dominated environments.

“There’s a looseness to Obama when he’s hanging out with the boys club that doesn’t appear in co-ed gatherings,” she wrote. “The president blows off steam on the golf course with male colleagues and friends. He takes to the White House basketball court with NBA stars, men’s college players, and male cabinet members and members of Congress.”
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Any chance of this not being the first time Obama has been called on this?
As a presidential candidate in 2008, Obama was criticized for paying the women on his campaign staff less than the men, and far less than GOP opponent John McCain paid his female staffers.

Links for thinkers:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room ... cords/2011
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... -equal-pay
http://freebeacon.com/obamas-war-on-women/
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/us/po ... .html?_r=2
http://swampland.time.com/2011/09/21/th ... n-problem/
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... ir/editors
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Elegua » 12 Apr 2012, 12:24

I know this is a bit OT, but I think the Republican's are on to something with these religious exemptions.

For example, I always wanted to become Quaker, so I would no longer need to pay my taxes; since ostensibly a portion would go towards the military, which of course is against my pacifist religion.
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
Forumosan avatar
Elegua
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

14 Recommends(s)
64 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 12 Apr 2012, 12:49

What a load of steaming horseshit that comes from this woman's mouth:

Attacking Romney's wife? Saying she's never worked a day in her life? GTFOOH :noway:

If that is not a slap in the face of women, housewives in particular, what is? :no-no:

And she says the WAW is a term the Republicans have been spreading? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :loco:
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 20 Aug 2012, 11:42

Speaking of a load of crap. . .

Missouri Congressman Todd Akin, a conservative Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate, said in an interview broadcast Sunday that women’s bodies can prevent pregnancies in the case of “a legitimate rape,” adding that conception in such cases is rare. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

WTF??? :loco:

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors, (pregnancy from rape) is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in a clip posted to YouTube by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin added: “But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Charming.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby redandy » 20 Aug 2012, 23:13

You know, the most annoying part of all this nonsense is that both sides seem willing to categorize this stuff as solely "women's issues," as though men have no business even having an opinion. Sorry, if my wife is/isn't using birth control or is out getting abortions, that's my business too. It's a family decision just like money and day care and everything else.
redandy
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 21 Aug 2012, 00:07

Mother Theresa wrote:Speaking of a load of crap. . .

Missouri Congressman Todd Akin, a conservative Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate, said in an interview broadcast Sunday that women’s bodies can prevent pregnancies in the case of “a legitimate rape,” adding that conception in such cases is rare. . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

WTF??? :loco:

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors, (pregnancy from rape) is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in a clip posted to YouTube by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin added: “But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Charming.

Another awesome Republican we can all get behind. This guy should really have his own thread.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
463 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 21 Aug 2012, 00:15

Todd Akin.

And people wonder why I detest Republican politicians so much.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

86 Recommends(s)
193 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 21 Aug 2012, 02:24

redandy wrote:You know, the most annoying part of all this nonsense is that both sides seem willing to categorize this stuff as solely "women's issues,"

And yet, a clear majority of women are in favor of abortion rights, in favor of reproductive control, in favor of equal pay legislation, in favor of the right to sue when discriminated against, in favor of free Woman Wellness exams and other preventative care, and are overwhelmingly opposed to measures restricting all of those things.

It may not be a coincidence that the people voting to restrict women's right are mostly Republican men. It's not exactly hard to see that many women do believe there is a war on women. Yes, of course it's a political slogan, but it's true that since sweeping the state legislatures and the national House, Republicans have passed over 90 bills restricting access to abortion and birth control, and in Wisconsin they repealed the state's fair pay act.

The only reason that jdsmith and other Republicans are pissed off about the phrase "War On Women" is because it's working to bring attention to Republican efforts to control women's bodies, and is causing a political backlash. As late as March 2012, Romney held a small but steady 2% lead among women voters. As of June 2012, Obama has a 6-9% point lead (depending which poll you look at) at the national level. He also leads in some key swing states like Pennsylvania. From NPR:

The female-vote gap may benefit Obama in states where contraception and abortion issues were local.

A new Quinnipiac University Polling Institute survey taken in Pennsylvania cited Obama's strong support among women and independents as fuel for his 46-40 percent lead over Romney in the Keystone State.

Tim Malloy, the institute's assistant director, says that comments made in March by the state's GOP Gov. Tom Corbett defending a bill that would have required women to have an ultrasound before an abortion contributed to the president's hold on a steady lead. (Corbett said that an ultrasound is not that big an issue because women "just have to close your eyes" during the procedure.)

"I'm not saying there's a war on women, but this perpetuated the perceptions that Democrats have pushed," Malloy says. The "war on women" narrative is a "long-term strategy," Selzer says, "and Democrats are working to provide the evidence that it's true." That included pushing the "Paycheck Fairness Act" in Congress last week.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

163 Recommends(s)
299 Recognized(s)

Postby redandy » 21 Aug 2012, 04:14

Gao,

I don't dispute what you've said. However, I do think that getting lost in the rhetoric is the idea that more should be expected from men. The modern debate almost assumes that men are detached from their wives/girlfriends/etc and whatever offspring they may produce. I know it's sort of peripheral to the main legal/political discussion here, but I think this debate is one of the more glaring examples of a viewpoint that just assumes men don't take any responsibility. Frankly, I think that's a latent problem that's bigger than the endless haggling over abortion and birth control.
redandy

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 21 Aug 2012, 05:13

redandy,

I've had similar thoughts. But when only two people are involved, it's not like "majority rules" applies. For example, let's say that a man impregnates his girlfriend, who in turn wants to get an abortion. He doesn't want her to. In fact, he's passionately opposed to the very concept of abortion. The thought of anyone aborting his child is unthinkable. He's willing to take full custody and sign every legal document from here to Sunday swearing he'll never ask her for money or help raising the child, so long as she carries to term. She demurres, then ultimately decides that there is no way in Hell she will have that baby. Period. End of discussion. With both parties at odds and no real interest in the other's positions, it is clear that one party will trample the interests of the other.

So, how are we to handle such disagreements? It is clear to me that while, yes, the father gets to have an "opinion", that's all he gets. It is the woman who would have to carry and birth the child, so ultimately it's her choice whether to carry to term or abort the pregnancy. Whether or not she's personally influenced by the father's opinion isn't relevant, from a policy viewpoint. At the end of the day, it's the mother's decision.

The same applies with birth control pills. One would hope that her partner(s) would have some say in the matter, but again, it's ultimately the woman's decision. What Republicans are trying to do is limit women's control of their reproductive functions.

It may surprise many Republicans to learn that most women don't want their bodies controlled by conservative male idealogues. It may also surprise them to learn that women would like to be paid the same amount of money when they're doing the same work as men, and that yes, they'd like the option to sue when a clear pattern of discrimation results in significant financial harm. And I've got this feeling, a warm, tingly sensation if I may say so, that women voters are going to give their bloated male would-be masters a bit of comeuppance this November. :lol:
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan

163 Recommends(s)
299 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics