The Trayvon Martin Clusterf*ck

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: The Trayvon Martin Clusterf*ck

Postby jdsmith » 03 May 2012, 15:29

headhonchoII wrote:No, it took time for all the information to be collected, all types of people to be talked to and a PROPER unbiased report put together, in this case by Reuters. It was hardly available from the get-go.

Drudge did a good job of providing the original info at the beginning when no one was following the story. I read most of it, and honestly not a whole lot of new stuff has come out. Although, someone is now digging through GZ's old myspace pages for "incriminating" evidence. :roll:

You got the reuter's link there HHII?
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 03 May 2012, 20:13

Tigerman wrote:
Homey wrote:Back to Zimmerman, if he had been driving his truck around looking for problems...

But, he wasn't. he was on his way to the store when he spotted TM.

Homey wrote:...and spotted a white woman, or a white man in a suit and tie looking around, then I would wager that he surely wouldn't have perceived them to be a problem and cause for following and calling 911.

My guess is that had he seen a black man in a suit and tie walking around he would not have called the dispatcher. How many people, black, white, yellow or blue, wear a suit and tie when commiting burglaries?

Likewise, I think that had GZ spotted an unfamiliar young white or hispanic kid wearing a hoodie or some other clothing that hides the wearer, GZ would have called the dispatcher.

Some behavior is only racist if you desperately want it to be. Its like profiling, sort of.

People make snap judgements based on appearance every single day. Whether we like it or not, or can be honest about it or not, it's the truth.

I understand why Zimmerman would make these judgements. I highly doubt that there have been many burglaries committed by white people in his complex, probably none. I agree that he probably hasn't seen any people dressed in a suit and tie committing crimes either.

It's silly to think anyone wouldn't make judgements and decisions based on appearance. We all do it regardless of our awareness or honesty about it. Like I said before, it happens in a split second each and every time we meet or see someone new.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 03 May 2012, 21:09

So, he was innately racist?

Come on. Now you're just being foolish.
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 03 May 2012, 21:34

What are you reading?

Here it is again so you can practice your reading comprehension.

Homey wrote:
People make snap judgements based on appearance every single day. Whether we like it or not, or can be honest about it or not, it's the truth.

I understand why Zimmerman would make these judgements. I highly doubt that there have been many burglaries committed by white people in his complex, probably none. I agree that he probably hasn't seen any people dressed in a suit and tie committing crimes either.

It's silly to think anyone wouldn't make judgements and decisions based on appearance. We all do it regardless of our awareness or honesty about it. Like I said before, it happens in a split second each and every time we meet or see someone new.
Why not???

Forumosan avatar
Homey

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 03 May 2012, 21:39

Homey wrote:What are you reading?

Here it is again so you can practice your reading comprehension.

Homey wrote:

Maybe that happens to you, homes, but it doesn't happen to me. Not because of skin color at any rate, which is what you are talking aboot. If a guy was swinging a hammer a la Neal Cassidy, I might pause.

I do not fear skin pigmentation. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 03 May 2012, 21:54

I am still waiting for an explanation why this single shooting death is given so much attention.

What what makes in more newsworthy than the other shooting deaths that occur everyday?
How many have been shot dead since this occurred?
Why no discussion about these?
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 03 May 2012, 22:08

bigduke6 wrote:I am still waiting for an explanation why this single shooting death is given so much attention.

What what makes in more newsworthy than the other shooting deaths that occur everyday?

In my opinion it's due to the unique circumstances. I've never heard of a "neighborhood watch" volunteer that took it upon himself to go after people he perceives to be a threat like this and end up shooting one. It's a classic, it's got the controversial 'stand your ground law' where some believe he should be given a pat on the back while others disagree. It's got racial issues, mostly fueled from the authorities' decision to let him go without pressing charges or investigating the case properly. It also has self defense issues, which are always interesting cases. Most murders are much less controversial. This one has points to validate either opinion. It seems to divide us right among party lines with the 'republican religion and gun contingency' thinking he has done nothing wrong.

The number one reason of course, is the media. They decide which cases to "report" and the extent of the so called reporting. The media loves this one.
Why not???

Forumosan avatar
Homey

2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby bohica » 04 May 2012, 00:59

bigduke6 wrote:I am still waiting for an explanation why this single shooting death is given so much attention.

This is a case where the police had the killer and they just let him go like nothing happened. You certainly don't see that every day. So I'd say it's because how the police handled the case and how Zimmerman was just released without nary an investigation. Whether the killing was justified is certainly something for the court to decide. You don't have to be a Jesse Jackson or an Al Sharpton to know that if someone commits murder(against a black person), and just say it's self defense and then he's off scot free, lots of people might have something to say about that. Obviously race played a role too but had Zimmerman been arrested on the first day like he should have been, this case would not have attracted the kind of attention it did.

On the other hand, had it not been all the attention and protests about this case, I don't think GZ would have been charged. Nope, there would have been no special prosecutor, no releasing of the 911 tape, and GZ would still be a free man today instead of facing murder charges, so all the attention ain't bad at all.
bohica
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

16 Recognized(s)

The Trayvon Martin Clusterf*ck

Postby headhonchoII » 04 May 2012, 06:02

jdsmith wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:No, it took time for all the information to be collected, all types of people to be talked to and a PROPER unbiased report put together, in this case by Reuters. It was hardly available from the get-go.

Drudge did a good job of providing the original info at the beginning when no one was following the story. I read most of it, and honestly not a whole lot of new stuff has come out. Although, someone is now digging through GZ's old myspace pages for "incriminating" evidence. :roll:

You got the reuter's link there HHII?

It's there in the thread,1 or 2 pages back. Bohicas right, the most unusual bit was letting him go and not pressing any charges.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1787 Recommends(s)
641 Recognized(s)

Postby jdsmith » 04 May 2012, 07:51

Homey wrote:Happens to everyone. Some people are honest about it, clearly you are not. Appearances dictate so much of our lives and how we do things.

Looks like from your post that you perceive the word appearances to only mean skin color. This says a lot about how you see the world.

Oh please. You're the one who throws around accusations of racism here. You should have been banned for it imho.

Categorizing people by looks is instinctive, sure. And it takes conscious effort to stop seeing appearance/skin color as indicative of a person's character, but it is certainly not impossible, nor terribly difficult.

I find great irony in people who clammer on about racism and perceived racism and innate human stereotyping of people via skin pigmentation and then also argue the getting over it is impossible. :lol: So I guess MLK was full of shit?

I find it more difficult to get over preconceived notions about Canadians than getting over someone's race. :oops: If you cannot accept that, it's not my problem. :raspberry:

It's there in the thread,1 or 2 pages back. Bohicas right, the most unusual bit was letting him go and not pressing any charges.

OK, thanks. I read it then. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
56 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics