The Military Version of Free Speech

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

The Military Version of Free Speech

Postby TheGingerMan » 09 Apr 2012, 13:50

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — A Marine is facing dismissal from the military for posting Facebook images of President Obama’s face superimposed on a jackass and for selling “Nobama” bumper stickers online, a prosecutor said Thursday.

Sgt. Gary Stein, 26, acted irresponsibly and disregarded repeated warnings that his anti-administration postings violated Pentagon policy involving members of the military, Marine CorpsCapt. John Torresala said during a hearing at Camp Pendleton.

Comments that were prejudicial to good order and discipline were posted on the Facebook page used by military meteorologists and could have influenced junior Marines, the prosecutor said.

Sgt. Stein’s security clearance was taken away and he has no future in the Marine Corps because he can’t do his job, Capt. Torresala said.

Backed by a team of lawyers and congressmen, Sgt. Stein is fighting to stay in the military and test its longtime policy of limiting the free speech of members.

His lawyers and the American Civil Liberties Union contend his views are protected by the First Amendment.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -stickers/

No surprise, really, but I am all for it. One cannot serve a GOC, if one does not believe. That said, we can't really have the ranks stepping out because they think the CO is a poof-da, now can we?!

This story resonates, not least of all on this site, due to much questioning amongst foreign and domestic U.S. service folks, upon this issue of leadership.
And, all that THAT entails.

Asshats will try and level it down to a "my cuntry, write, or long!" angle, but, I do well declare the issue at hand is far more complicated than that.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
224 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to International Politics