Ron Paul could still get the GOP nomination

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Ron Paul could still get the GOP nomination

Postby Homey » 21 May 2012, 03:05

Interesting development regarding the RNC rules.

http://www.fox19.com/story/18133202/rea ... und-at-all

Ron Paul would win the popular vote over Romney in my opinion, now it looks like he may have a chance with the delegate system.
Why not???

If you are what you eat, then I guess that makes me "fast, cheap, and easy"!
Forumosan avatar
Homey
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Re: Ron Paul could still get the GOP nomination

Postby Deuce Dropper » 21 May 2012, 11:18

Homey wrote:
Ron Paul would win the popular vote over Romney in my opinion

opinions like this seriously invalidate your opinion.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 21 May 2012, 11:56

The common man with half a clue is fed up and wants a big change in how things are done. The uneducated masses that get spoon fed from fox news are surely brainwashed by Romney. The numbers of people showing up at Ron Paul events is often way more than at Romney shindigs. Both Romney and Obama just offer more of the same crap and I think that finally people are pissed off enough to vote for major change. Sadly, it doesn't matter, we go through this silly delegate system and then the electoral college scam.

I would personally welcome a move to the popular vote. No rules to have lawyers argue over, no bs, just a simple popular vote.
Why not???

Forumosan avatar
Homey

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 21 May 2012, 12:14

You're advocating for a straight up popular vote, but egging on Paul's backdoor delegate gambit.
How... aside from pleading 'necessity and ignorance of the masses'... do you justify that?
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Homey » 21 May 2012, 12:25

Just showing a link to the latest developments. Just because it's not what I would choose, this is the current system. Within this system, it looks like delegates might be unbound and free to vote for who they want.
Why not???

Forumosan avatar
Homey

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 21 May 2012, 12:40

Homey wrote:I would personally welcome a move to the popular vote.

I refer you to Mr. Madison's brilliant argument against the same.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 21 May 2012, 17:55

Homey wrote:The common man with half a clue is fed up and wants a big change in how things are done. The uneducated masses that get spoon fed from fox news are surely brainwashed by Romney. The numbers of people showing up at Ron Paul events is often way more than at Romney shindigs. Both Romney and Obama just offer more of the same crap and I think that finally people are pissed off enough to vote for major change. Sadly, it doesn't matter, we go through this silly delegate system and then the electoral college scam.

I would personally welcome a move to the popular vote. No rules to have lawyers argue over, no bs, just a simple popular vote.

I think any poll you see will directly contradict this.

Ron Paul supporters crack me up, everyone else is a sheep except them, but they never stop to think that maybe Ron Paul's ideas would actually sink the US and maybe people do not want to actually destroy their own country because they are unhappy with the current political climate. But oh yeah, 'the country is already being destroyed' quips the Paul support, but is it, is it really or would Paul truly fuck things up?
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper

93 Recommends(s)
466 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 21 May 2012, 19:33

Tigerman wrote:

:bravo:
Oh, yes!
Nicely played.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
240 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Homey » 21 May 2012, 20:43

TheGingerMan wrote:
Tigerman wrote:

:bravo:
Oh, yes!
Nicely played.

Everybody has an opinion. I respect that the posters so far in this thread have a different opinion. Everyone should have a say and a vote.

I personally would like to see a return to the constitution and the power and rights returned to the people. A government by the people and for the people where everyone's vote actually counts.
Why not???

Forumosan avatar
Homey

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recommends(s)
17 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 22 May 2012, 12:34

Homey wrote:I personally would like to see a return to the constitution and the power and rights returned to the people. A government by the people and for the people where everyone's vote actually counts.

But... The US Constitution created a republic rather than a pure democracy.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Politics