presidential election 2012: Romney v Obama

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: presidential election 2012: Romney v Obama

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 17 Jul 2012, 08:21

As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz. He's suggested sexing up his name, and badabing, he came up with - The Stormin' Mormon!

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 17 Jul 2012, 08:25

Huang Guang Chen wrote:As an Australian radio host has said, Romney needs some more pizzazz.
HG

Yeah, he could be classy and have pizzazz like former Australian Labor PM Bob Hawke and leave his wife when she gets alzheimers (they divorced before she got it but I would argue she showed symptoms of short-term memory loss in the 90s). :lol: The audacity of Australians sometimes! :lol:
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

109 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 17 Jul 2012, 08:33

At least he cried about it (and pretty much everything else) on telly.

The Stormin' Mormon is perfect. Gives him some of that military feel the Reps seem to enjoy and he so lacks. Well, okay, to be fair, while others his age were off in Vietnam he was fighting the good fight from a bicycle in a white shirt and black badge in France, and verbally defending the war, erhm, as a Christian missionary should.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Winston Smith » 17 Jul 2012, 08:41

So how did President Obama get off to the fastest start in recent history in piling up government debt in the U.S. while "spending so little"? Are there some sort of Wall Street style government accounting shenanigans going on?

"If you were smart in 1807 you moved to London, if you were smart in 1907 you moved to New York City, and if you are smart in 2007 you move to Asia."
-- Jim Rogers
Winston Smith
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

5 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 17 Jul 2012, 09:03

What a strange way to attack the Dems, Winston. Funny thing is my dear departed grandad probably said almost the same, verbatim, but ended it with "the Turks" instead of "the Dems."

And oh dear, just recently, Gallup put this out.
Americans Still Blame Bush More Than Obama for Bad Economy - About half of Republicans blame Bush

And broken down:

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Winston Smith » 17 Jul 2012, 10:38

Huang Guang Chen wrote:What a strange way to attack the Dems, Winston. Funny thing is my dear departed grandad probably said almost the same, verbatim, but ended it with "the Turks" instead of "the Dems."

Image . . . HG

I'm not attacking anyone, Turks or Democrats. I merely asked a factual question: how does national debt increase at such a fast rate historically without commensurate spending? Is it some sort of accounting trick or is there some other explanation? I see that the answer is: the extension of Bush era tax cuts, the continuation of Bush era foreign wars and the ongoing repair work of the damage done to the U.S. economy while a distracted Bush was off tilting at windmills of mass destruction in the Middle East. Bad Bush!
"If you were smart in 1807 you moved to London, if you were smart in 1907 you moved to New York City, and if you are smart in 2007 you move to Asia."
-- Jim Rogers
Winston Smith

5 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 17 Jul 2012, 11:03

Apologies, Winston. I haven't been back on this site for sometime, and mistook you for someone else. Someone that does like to bait the dems. :oops:

I guess the upside is that Obama is or has wound down the wars. Unfortunately the cost of that will play out in both human and monetary terms for some considerable time. And we may have to add in a further financial bail-out at some point, as the structural issues behind the previous crash have still not been addressed.

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 17 Jul 2012, 12:31

Repubiclans getting nervous about Rmoney's refusal to release his financial documents:

Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby MikeN » 17 Jul 2012, 12:54

Winston Smith wrote:I'm not attacking anyone, Turks or Democrats. I merely asked a factual question: how does national debt increase at such a fast rate historically without commensurate spending?

Collapse of government revenue due to huge recession? The reason Reagan had such a high debt increase was that he made massive tax cuts without accompanying spending cuts. Clinton didn't cut spending but had huge increases in revenue due to both raising taxes and a booming economy.
Obama has made some tax cuts, but has had to bring in a stimulus and watch countercyclical spending rise, but the overall economy is just not generating much revenue.
MikeN
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

35 Recognized(s)

Postby Winston Smith » 17 Jul 2012, 15:41

MikeN wrote:
Winston Smith wrote:I'm not attacking anyone, Turks or Democrats. I merely asked a factual question: how does national debt increase at such a fast rate historically without commensurate spending?

Collapse of government revenue due to huge recession? The reason Reagan had such a high debt increase was that he made massive tax cuts without accompanying spending cuts. Clinton didn't cut spending but had huge increases in revenue due to both raising taxes and a booming economy.
Obama has made some tax cuts, but has had to bring in a stimulus and watch countercyclical spending rise, but the overall economy is just not generating much revenue.

Makes sense. Thanks to you and HG for clarifying that.
-- Jim Rogers
Winston Smith

5 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics