Climate Change Kills Polar Bears hahahahahahahah

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Climate Change Kills Polar Bears hahahahahahahah

Postby fred smith » 25 Jul 2012, 20:49

Check it out... The climate is really causing strange things to happen like in this video!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNfwnJ9I4Xc
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Re: Climate Change Kills Polar Bears hahahahahahahah

Postby Dr. McCoy » 25 Aug 2012, 22:44

Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 26 Aug 2012, 00:15

"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

855 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Blaquesmith » 26 Aug 2012, 13:01

Climate change doesn't kill polar bears. Icecaps melting sometimes isolate polar bears, and those are doomed (they are not amphibians, after all). I don't understand how there are people who can't believe the tangible proof that the climate is changing.
"Roda el món i torna al Born!" - famous saying from Barcelona.
Forumosan avatar
Blaquesmith
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

20 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 26 Aug 2012, 13:47

So, Blaquesmith, are there more or fewer polar bears in the world? Or is this concern best left "intangible" because the numbers don't add up? :)
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 26 Aug 2012, 14:02

I don't know, Fred Perhaps you'd best go out and count them all for us to show there are no ill effects.

Off you go!
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby fred smith » 26 Aug 2012, 14:32

I don't know,

You SAID it.

Fred Perhaps you'd best go out and count them all for us to show there are no ill effects.

Okay.

Off you go!

Sure thing.

Okay, 15 second later and I am back.

Here you go.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le4099460/
Forumosan avatar
fred smith
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 26 Aug 2012, 14:36

fred smith wrote:Okay, 15 second later and I am back.

Here you go.

Ok, so you quote a news article which cites a study which actually shows the polar bear population is in trouble.

The study’s conclusions drew concern from Andrew Derocher, a professor of biological sciences at the University of Alberta who has been studying polar-bear populations for years. Prof. Derocher said the 1,013 figure is derived from a range of 717 bears to 1,430. “It’s premature to draw many conclusions,” he said, adding that there were no comparative figures and the upper end of the range, 1,430, was highly unlikely.

Prof. Derocher also said some details in the survey pointed to a bear population in trouble. For example, the survey identified 50 cubs, which are usually less than 10 months old, and 22 yearlings, roughly 22 months old. That’s nearly one-third the number required for a healthy population, he said. “This is a clear indication that this population is not sustaining itself in any way, shape, or form.”

So much for proving there are no ill effects.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Aug 2012, 14:41

Yes, but had you spent 30 seconds Fred you might have gotten past the misleading title. Here's the real issue:

There’s much at stake in the debate. Population figures are used to calculate quotas for hunting, a lucrative industry for many northern communities. Hunting polar bears is highly regulated but Inuit communities can sell their quota to sport hunters, who must hunt with Inuit guides. A polar-bear hunting trip can cost up to $50,000. Demand for polar-bear fur is also soaring in places like China and Russia and prices for some pelts have doubled in the past couple of years, reaching as high as $15,000.

The Nunavut hunting quota in the western Hudson Bay area fell to 8 from 56 after the 2004 report from Environment Canada. The Nunavut government increased it slightly last year but faced a storm of protest. Over all, about 450 polar bears are killed annually across Nunavut. Mr. Gissing said a new quota is expected to be announced in June.

Hmm, so the people who stand to benefit monetarily from higher polar bear numbers are saying, oh my god, that those numbers are higher than the evil commie scientists with their professional studies. No, better to rely on the anecdotal evidence of hunters.

Now, I have spent a fair bit of time in the north, unlike any of you lot, and while I have respect for hunters and fishers, I know most of them are prone to exaggeration and self-serving stories. They also tend to be dismissive of scientists and their quotas, even though such systems have created decades of sustainable subsistence hunting and fishing.

I know who I trust in this debate.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 26 Aug 2012, 14:46

Fortigurn wrote:
fred smith wrote:Okay, 15 second later and I am back.

Here you go.

Ok, so you quote a news article which cites a study which actually shows the polar bear population is in trouble.

The study’s conclusions drew concern from Andrew Derocher, a professor of biological sciences at the University of Alberta who has been studying polar-bear populations for years. Prof. Derocher said the 1,013 figure is derived from a range of 717 bears to 1,430. “It’s premature to draw many conclusions,” he said, adding that there were no comparative figures and the upper end of the range, 1,430, was highly unlikely.

Prof. Derocher also said some details in the survey pointed to a bear population in trouble. For example, the survey identified 50 cubs, which are usually less than 10 months old, and 22 yearlings, roughly 22 months old. That’s nearly one-third the number required for a healthy population, he said. “This is a clear indication that this population is not sustaining itself in any way, shape, or form.”

So much for proving there are no ill effects.

Indeed. I had to do some research on pb last summer and found that most scientists believed the current population is fine, possibly even larger than expected (yes, many freely admitted that) but will start to face a serious threat in the coming decades. Polar bears are fairly long-lived creatures so of course it is going to take time for numbers to drop.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

802 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Politics