God Bless America...

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

God Bless America...

Postby maoman » 12 Sep 2001, 13:14

I can't believe what I'm seeing on the tv. Don't know how many people have senselessly died yet, but I know it's not going to be good. Words of support to all Americans here from a Canadian: God Bless you all. I wish there were some way my country could share your pain - it's not fair that any one country should have to shoulder such a heavy burden. I feel sick...
Forumosan avatar
maoman

ORIGINAL POSTER
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

God Bless America...

Postby <Psalm 23> » 13 Sep 2001, 00:26

Ps 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
<Psalm 23>

God Bless America...

Postby CuriousGeorge » 13 Sep 2001, 03:31

Absolutely horrible. International terrorism sux. Tho you gotta admit that this blatant act has long been expected by US hawks. Gotta be some fallout from the US strike against Iraq and the Palestine issue. Cripes! Even Bruce Willis and George Clooney did a couple of movies that covered this threat. I cant believe the whole top quarter of the WTC Building actually fell over. Sigh. What a mess. What a tragedy....
CuriousGeorge

God Bless America...

Postby wolf_reinhold » 13 Sep 2001, 08:40

If the Muslims want a "jihad" or holy war, then I think the time has come to pick up the gauntlet.
Forumosan avatar
wolf_reinhold
"Drinks for the House!"

2 Recognized(s)

God Bless America...

Postby v » 13 Sep 2001, 21:46

I have several Muslim students and 6 students who are refugees from Afghanistan. Their cousin- an 18 year old girl- was kidnapped by Taliban soldiers. The day of the crashes I was teaching and I heard some people in the hall saying "evacuation" and such and such school had been closed for the day. I thought maybe there had been an outbreak of measles or something. The second grade teacher said not to talk out loud about it because we might upset the children and she took we to the kindergarten classroom where everyone was gathered around a TV. I heard about the hijacking 2 minutes before I saw the crashes and the bulidings exploding. Then I had to go back to teaching. We couldn't tell the children everything, we just said that there had been a terrible accident- planes crashes. But I was worried about retaliation against my Afghani students so I just told them that for that evening they should not go to the park of anything, they should stay in the house and watch the TV. Nothing has happened to my Muslim students so far. My brother in law who lives in Queens and drives a city bus in Manhattan was ok, but he said that he saw people beating up Arabs, or people who they thought looked like Arabs. I don't know if he was exaggerating of not- I haven't seen anything like that on the news. Today I' saw lots of American flags and flags flying at half mast. I haven't watched that much news, but in what I have seen there has been no mention of why Americans are hated by many in the Middle East. The politicians are just saying that these people hate our way of life. Many people are waiting for something else to happen. It still seems unreal to me. Just like a movie and nothing more. I don't know if I'm numb or desensitized.
v
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

God Bless America...

Postby crbkstiles » 13 Sep 2001, 23:48

It's not merely a hatred of our way of life, but Islamic radicals feel that the USA is the greatest obstacle to the "purification" of the world. Osama Bin Laden has called upon all Muslims to kill Americans. I believe it was 1995 that he made the official declaration of war on America. Don't take it personally, but these radicals hate all non-Muslims. These are some excerpts from the Koran that incite violence against unbelievers:

"Prophet, make war on unbelievers and hypocrites, and deal rigorously with them." Sura 9:73

"Let not the unbelievers think they will ever get away... strike terror into the enemy of God and your enemy... rouse the faithful to arms! If they (the non-Muslims) incline to peace (accept Islam) make peace with them."
Sura 8:59

"Fight and slay the pagans (infidels) wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem of war." Koran, Sura 9:5

That's pretty intense. Basically, it is believed by these radicals that they are called by GOD to destroy Americans. In fact, Bin Laden even wants to overthrow many existing Muslim governments because he believes they are corrupt.

Many non-radical Muslims claim that they do not share this hatred of America, and it is only the radical factions that support violence against the U.S.A.. I don't question this claim, but I do wonder about how the above passages in the Koran are construed differently by non-radicals. If you have any answers, please feel free to post. It would be good, in this time of difficulty, for Americans to have a full understanding of non-radical Muslims' beliefs in order to prevent "witch hunts" on the scale of the McCarthy era.

I do hope that we target our anger at the RIGHT people, and not the wrong people. We need to destroy our enemy without BECOMING them.
crbkstiles

God Bless America...

Postby <Rambo> » 14 Sep 2001, 08:42

Ya thats right!

Gotta get them muslims! Like the 120 muslims in Indonesia and the 30+ muslims in malaysia, and and the tens of millions of muslims in Arabia and the millions and millions of muslims in africa and the middle east and the millions in afganistan and the millions in pakaistan. And those british and Canadian muslims too. Even those American muslims, like that Timothy McVeigh guy. A muslim if there ever was one.

But hell, that's a hell of a lot of muslims, way more than us Americans. Man that's a lot of enemies. But that's okay. Were right! We have God on our side! And we're the strongest! And we got the bomb man! We got the bomb! [img]images/smiles/icon_mad.gif[/img]
<Rambo>

God Bless America...

Postby <anti-Rambo> » 14 Sep 2001, 09:39

Rambo. Breathe. In. And out. In. And out.
<anti-Rambo>

God Bless America...

Postby [({})] » 14 Sep 2001, 10:14

That's not Rambo, man. Rambo was a man of few words, like: "I got a job to do."

But, jeez, V., I can't believe people are beating up people who look like Arabs. That just goes to show - one stupid thing leads to another stupid thing.

There's a lot of stupid people in America, and a lot of them have short fuses and no manners.

But I still think it was Canadian terrorists who did it.
[({})]

TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES

Postby [({})] » 14 Sep 2001, 10:43

One effect of this tragedy is definitely that there's more patriotism in America now than before. People are raising the flag.

I just hope that the stupid Americans stop beating up random people who "look like Arabs" (which seems to have been happening in all the chaos), because Arab Americans are part of the flag that people are raising.

Here's a poem by Kahlil Gibran, the Lebanese American poet, about America.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>I believe in you, and I believe in your destiny.
I believe that you are contributors to this
new civilization.
I believe that you have inherited from your
forefathers an ancient dream, a song, a
prophecy, which you can proudly lay as a
gift of gratitude upon the lap of America.
I believe that you can say to the Founders of
this great nation, "Here I am, a youth, a
young tree, whose roots were plucked from
the hills of Lebanon, yet am I deeply rooted here,
and I will be fruitful.

-Kahlil Gibran<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When John F. Kennedy said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country," he was actually quoting Kahlil Gibran when he addressed the people of Syria and Lebanon half a century earlier.

Well, now you know if you didn't know. I wish these dumb arab-bashers knew.

I also wish Bush and his dumb dad weren't such retards. How come there wasn't a great mourning for all the times they bombed Iraq? Because Iraq is...evil? Gimme a break! Whenever they attacked Iraq, I just thought, 'they're asking for it.'
[({})]

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Politics