New Bali Bomb

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Postby Comrade Stalin » 06 Oct 2005, 10:44

Huang Guang Chen wrote:That would be in keeping with Oz PM John (I'm a wanker) Howard's call not to outlaw JI.

Howard has called on Indonesia to ban JI.

From today's Jakarta Post:

Australia to press Indonesia to ban JI after Bali bombings

SYDNEY, Australia (AFP): Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer will travel to Indonesia to lobby the government to ban the extremist group Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) following the latest Bali attacks, Canberra announced on Wednesday.

Prime Minister John Howard said in a series of radio interviews that by taking a stand against the organization, Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono would send a reassuring signal to moderate Indonesians.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/detaillat ... 40&irec=13
"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 06 Oct 2005, 10:50

Doh!

Should've read the fine print:

JI ban no solution to terrorism: PM

Erh, told you he was a wanker. :oops:

So business as usual in Indo? Pity, Yudhoyono was looking like actually doing something when he responded to these latest blasts. He's sending his country down the tube through inaction . . not just on terror, but oil and in failing to ease international investor concerns.

--------
Edit:
Apparently the time off for good behaviour is a stock standard Indonesian gift to all prisoners not serving life terms (or sentenced to death) ahead of a religious holiday. The Indo prez is currently reviewing the granting remissions for good behaviour for "terrorrists".

HG
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby MaPoSquid » 07 Oct 2005, 07:04

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051006/ap_ ... &printer=1
Bali Restaurants Were Warned of Terrorism

By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer
Thu Oct 6, 2:36 PM ET

Restaurants on a Bali beach hit by terrorists were warned a month ago that they could be targets following the discovery of a partially made bomb at a nearby hotel, but village leaders delayed plans to bolster security, an official said Thursday.

Cafes along Jimbaran Bay were told in August to station guards and to check bags and cars entering the area, but the village decided to wait until after a Hindu holiday celebrated on the resort island Wednesday - four days after the deadly Oct. 1 attacks by three suicide bombers, police Capt. D. Dharmada told The Associated Press.

"If those measures had been implemented, this attack probably wouldn't have happened," he said. "I'm disappointed. Security is very important and the loss here is so big. It's a big sacrifice."

Dharmada added that police had stepped up security, but there was a limited number of officers, so hotels and restaurants - including 28 cafes in the area - were told to help out.

"We gathered all their security chiefs and briefed them about ways to prepare."

In general, most of the higher-end hotels on the resort island have more extensive security than the beach-front restaurant and cafes.

Nyoman Soka, chief of the village that includes the cafes, said he attended a meeting between police and local leaders but insisted there was no firm security proposal made ahead of the bombings.

"Obviously, I feel responsible," he said. After this bombing, the first thing we plan to do is implement this security plan."

Pande Wayan, whose wife, Wayan Ani, worked at a cafe near the blast and remains hospitalized with shrapnel in her neck and back, said he was angry and disappointed over the failure to improve security.

"We've discussed this security for a long time. The village was too slow in responding," said Pande, a cook who works at the same cafe and represented the business at the security briefing.

Dharmada said the bomb parts were discovered in August at the Kuta Paradiso hotel and that village leaders agreed with a proposal to boost security. But they asked that the plan be delayed until after Galungan, one of the island's biggest religious festivals, that was celebrated Wednesday.

The al-Qaida linked Jemaah Islamiyah terror group is suspected in the near-simultaneous attacks bombings on three crowded restaurants - two on Jimbaran beach and another in the nearby tourist area of Kuta - that killed 22 people, including the bombers, and wounded more than 100.

Police have announced few breaks in the investigation but said Thursday they have taken DNA samples from several suspected family members of the suicide bombers - whose severed heads were found near the blast sites.

Photographs of the bombers' bruised and swollen faces have been circulated nationwide and police have called on the public to help identify the men.

Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Sunarko Danu Artanto said he could not provide any information about those whose DNA was tested, but The Java Pos newspaper said they were from east Java, Bali's neighboring province.

"I cannot mention their names," he said. "But the police have done that."

Identifying the bombers could help police track down the masterminds of the attacks.

Anti-terror officials say Malaysian fugitives Azahari bin Husin and Noordin Mohamed Top - believed to be key Jemaah Islamiyah leaders - are the main suspects.

The two have been linked to the nightclub bombings on Bali in 2002 that killed 202 people, most of them foreigners, and the August 2003 and September 2004 blasts at the J.W. Marriott hotel and the Australian Embassy, both in Jakarta, that killed a total of 22.

Indonesia, meanwhile, widened its search for suspects in the most recent attack.

"All regional police chiefs are investigating suspicious activities in their areas," said police spokesman Maj. Gen. Ariyanto Budiharjo. "The suicide bombers did not work alone. Someone must have ordered them. Someone must have made the explosives."

Police completed forensic investigations at the three bombing sites Thursday and reopened them to the public.
Got out alive
Forumosan avatar
MaPoSquid
"Drinks for the House!"

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Cola » 07 Oct 2005, 14:19

Why did they delay plans to bolster security? Worried about profit margins again? Money more important than people? Screw Bali. Screw Third World tourism.

Make your own sunshine.
Je m'en fiche!
Cola
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

16 Recognized(s)

Postby Comrade Stalin » 08 Oct 2005, 15:19

I just got these 2 photos from a Balinese friend.......she and her 3 year old daughter were a the site of the bombing in Kuta 10 minutes before the bomb detonated.

"I got very well acquainted with Joe Stalin, and I like old Joe! He is a decent fellow." - Harry Truman after the Potsdam Conference
Comrade Stalin

4 Recognized(s)

Postby purple people eaters » 08 Oct 2005, 22:52

Is it just me or does Bashir (reference stalin's pic) have the biggest shit eat'n grin?
Forumosan avatar
purple people eaters
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Comrade Stalin » 08 Oct 2005, 23:16

purple people eaters wrote:Is it just me or does Bashir (reference stalin's pic) have the biggest shit eat'n grin?

Why shouldn't he smile? He and Amrozi bin Nurhasyim (below) are responsible for murdering hundreds of people and yet Westerners find excuses for them.

Comrade Stalin

4 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 09 Oct 2005, 04:25

It's amazing that the Indonesian government allows these guys to get away with their gestures and/or evil grinning. :eek: I guess they don't have contempt of court clauses in Jakarta.

Somebody should take these swine out, sniper style. How good can Indonesian security be, unless of course the government is indeed looking after it's own, or those otherwise well-connected.
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
242 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Comrade Stalin » 10 Oct 2005, 15:30

TheGingerMan wrote:It's amazing that the Indonesian government allows these guys to get away with their gestures and/or evil grinning. :eek: I guess they don't have contempt of court clauses in Jakarta.

The only contempt shown is that of the Indonesian regime towards the victims.

I guess you missed the trip to Starbucks?

Bali bomber spotted in Starbucks

Convicted Bali bomber Ali Imron has been allowed on an outing to a Starbucks coffee shop in Jakarta.

Reporters spotted him laughing and joking with Brigadier-General Gorries Mere, one of the officers investigating the Bali attacks.

Ali Imron was sentenced to life in jail last September, for his role in the Bali nightclub blasts.

He is the younger brother of two other key Bali bombers who are now on death row - Amrozi and Mukhlas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3621454.stm

Ali Imron
Comrade Stalin

4 Recognized(s)

Postby bob_honest » 10 Oct 2005, 22:27

I dunno, the world shaped leftwing I-tolerate-everything-Bob into a .... well..... someone on the falcon side.

So can we nuke Indonesia now? Afterwards we can say we are sorry....
And Syria. And Iran. And North Korea.
Maybe China as well....

.... OK, I better go to sleep and dream of something violent.

:(
........... what he said.
Forumosan avatar
bob_honest
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

105 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics