The Reliable News: A list

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Postby k.k. » 18 Jul 2006, 20:59

We'll never be able to agree on a list.

My Left Wing? Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!
Forumosan avatar
k.k.
"Drinks for the House!"

30 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)

Postby 4nr » 19 Jul 2006, 01:25

Two sites that I find informative are www.atimes.com (Asian Times online) and www.financialsense.com.

I think both are matter of fact and worthwhile reading. On atimes, I especially enjoy Lawerence Eyton's articles on Taiwan politics (not much lately) and Tom Englehart's contributions on geopolitics. A few recent articles on atimes: Hedge funds: playing dice with the universe and Tom Englehart's Bushs faith and the middle east inflame and The Destablization Game

Financialsense is exceptionally good covering geopolitics. I find F. William Engdahl's articles on oil pipeline's especially interesting. I also find article's on finance such as m1/m2/m3 money supplies, hedge funds, yen carry trade, the FED, debt, T-bills, china market #'s, etc. very interesting. (JR Nyquest, Richard Benson, Marc Farber, Alex Merck, Jim Willie and many others stand out).
4nr
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby smell the glove » 22 Jul 2006, 06:07

I realize this is IP and all, but it’s interesting that so far nothing local has been listed as “reliable news.” I for one am always intrigued at how international politics is represented (or not) locally. I know I’ll get slammed for the left-leaning bias of this one (not to mention its sister English paper), but I tend to read 自由時報 more often than any other local paper. Occasionally, though, I also go to Yahoo 新聞 or Google 新聞 台灣版 and follow the links.
Forumosan avatar
smell the glove
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

11 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 23 Jul 2006, 09:41

I left this one out earlier. It's good to check what isn't news, as well: Project Censored.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Fox » 23 Jul 2006, 10:13

For issues relating to War and Peace read: The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace http://www.carnegieendowment.org/

For issues relating to finance read: The Wall Street Journal.

For issues relating to international politics read: The Economist

For social commentary read: The New Yorker and Salon

For fun in social commentary read: The Onion

For intelligent listening listen to: Fresh Air on NPR

For issues relating to Aussie Rules Football read: The Sun Herald

For the most part: Take it easy.
"When liberty comes with hands dabbled in blood it is hard to shake hands with her." Wilde

"I don't know where the sun beams end and the star light begins. It's all a mystery." Flaming Lips

"a man's position here is not ruled so much by what he can earn as by what he can owe and still remain at large." Letters of a Shanghai Griffin

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." George Carlin

The American oligarchy spares no pains in promoting the belief that it does not exist, but the success of its disappearing act depends on equally strenuous efforts on the part of an American public anxious to believe in egalitarian fictions and unwilling to see what is hidden in plain sight.
redbubble
http://www.planetediting.com

This post was recommended by QAM (19 Apr 2014, 07:43)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
Fox
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

59 Recommends(s)
78 Recognized(s)

Postby QAM » 23 Jul 2006, 10:39

sticky!
This thread may not give us impartial new outlet, but it has turned out to be very valuable for news hounds. Thanks jwcampbell for the Iraq news link. I have thought about looking for English news in Iraq, but never took the time. Some of these other local perspectives help gain a better more specific understanding of world events. We can get reports like the one saying more than 400 doctors have been kidnapped in Iraq -- something you may not learn about in a CNN report. Now, how did we survive before the Internet?
I get much of my information from npr.org podcasts. Here is an article about a Taiwanese-American songbird still looking for link
"ICs range in complexity from simple logic modules and amplifiers to complete microcomputers containing millions of elements."

Read more: How integrated circuit is made - material, making, used, processing, components, dimensions, composition, industry, machine, How Integrated Circuit Components Are Formed, Design, Raw Materials http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Integra ... z0vnRfolGB
QAM
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

6 Recommends(s)

Postby H5N1 » 23 Jul 2006, 10:51

I've come late to the thread, so a number of my favorites have already been mentioned here. Two gleanings I'd like to share are PINR, which claims to present objective analysis of the strategic interests behind military, economic and political actions around the globe. I'd be quite interested to hear other's opinions on how accurate their claim is.
http://www.pinr.com/

WBUR Boston produces a show called On Point. This week Newt Gingrich came on the show to plug his new book, and I felt that the host treated him fairly, and that he acquitted himself quite well. Even though public radio is traditionally left, what transpired actually sounded like a dialogue: A refreshing change from the IP forum.
http://www.onpointradio.org/
Coooool water sandwich
Forumosan avatar
H5N1
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 23 Jul 2006, 12:38

Salvatore -
Thanks for that http://www.pinr.com/ heads-up.

I'm going to spend some time on there.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby MikeN » 23 Jul 2006, 15:51

TainanCowboy wrote:Salvatore -
Thanks for that http://www.pinr.com/ heads-up.

I'm going to spend some time on there.

Add mine- it look a good one
MikeN
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

33 Recognized(s)

Postby dearpeter » 24 Jul 2006, 22:45

I just followed a link to this. A real gem, I daresay.

http://usinfo.state.gov/media/misinformation.html
Forumosan avatar
dearpeter
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics