FOX News

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: FOX News

Postby Chris » 11 Apr 2009, 22:18

Byshguy wrote:
What exactly about them makes them "biased to the left"?

Mostly the stories they choose to report, but also the way they report them. If you can't see it, then you can't see it. I'm not sure if you want to me to provide "examples" or something, but they certainly are biased to the left.

Oh, I see. They're biased to the left because you say so.

And honestly, I'd like to know how many right wingers you have met who actually say Fox is fair and balanced.

I used to bartend in a country club in Kentucky. I met more than my share of right-wingers there. They'd demand the TV be set to Fox News exactly for that reason.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby MikeN » 12 Apr 2009, 10:44

I dunno, it's getting pretty bad when even Little Green Footballs is calling Fox News "deranged":

Yesterday, for example, LGF posted a YouTube clip filmed at a gathering of Glenn Beck fans.

At a "Project 912 Glenn Beck Tea Party," an unnamed speaker rants about "infiltration by the Communist Party" (a John Birch Society talking point), says that digital cable boxes are "brainwashing machines" planted in our homes by the government, and swears to stop paying taxes.... This is some really deranged stuff, and the audience is eating it up.

This did not, as John Cole noted, go over well with some of Johnson's fellow conservative bloggers. (John added, "The problem for the right is not Charles Johnson, but all the crazy people in the party.")

But what's especially interesting is that LGF has had a variety of similar items of late. Earlier this week, Johnson wrote, "This turn toward the extreme right on the part of Fox News is troubling, and will achieve nothing in the long run except further marginalization of the GOP -- unless people start behaving like adults instead of angry kids throwing tantrums and ranting about conspiracies and revolution."

A couple of weeks ago, LGF had a similar item: "Wow. Racists, 9/11 truthers, and conspiracy theorists, all brought to you by Fox News. Featuring 'the great Alex Jones.' What the hell is wrong with Fox News?"

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/
MikeN
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

39 Recognized(s)

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 12 Apr 2009, 11:09

I've always wondered about the name little green footballs. Is it, as I've often thought, a reference to a once highly popular member of the benzodiazepine family, Temazepam, which used to come in a little green football shaped capsule?

Seeing it as the rantings of a drug-addled insomniac has rather influenced my view of that particular website, kind of like Rush, but just possibly a little more honest about the source.

As for Fox, there's some show I keep stumbling over which is hosted by what can only be described as an angry midget with a mean mouth. Don't know who or what he is, but he's extremely eager to lay the boot into pretty much anything decent. Oddly enough, a search for "angry midget," "mean mouth", "Fox news", doesn't pull up a picture.

HG
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 14 Apr 2009, 13:08

I haven't been keeping up with the news. Haven't seen any threads on it here. Did "President Pantywaist" surrender to those pirates yet like FOX suggested he would? Did he go out of his way to make sure nobody hurt the pirate's feelings? Did they pay the ransom for that captain or just let him die? That surrender monkey better like tea bags in his face on tax day.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Tag » 14 Apr 2009, 13:57

The problem with Google news is they persistently put up ridiculous spin articles from Fox News and then leave them up for a long time. Shouldn't Google's algorithm look for some kind of consensus in the headlines before irresponsibly promoting Sheldrake's biased (outlying, lying, radical fringe) agenda? Whatever happened to "don't be evil"? For examples of bias, see http://www.newshounds.us/ "We watch FOX so you don't have to." I'm all for diversity of opinions but Fox is just a naked agenda.

Really, find me a liberal bias that is so naked and extreme. Yes, there's Daily Kos, but they're not a TV network, nor do they pretend to be "fair and balanced".
Toe Tag
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Toe Tag » 14 Apr 2009, 14:01

Huang Guang Chen wrote:I've always wondered about the name little green footballs. Is it, as I've often thought, a reference to a once highly popular member of the benzodiazepine family, Temazepam, which used to come in a little green football shaped capsule?

Seeing it as the rantings of a drug-addled insomniac has rather influenced my view of that particular website, kind of like Rush, but just possibly a little more honest about the source.

As for Fox, there's some show I keep stumbling over which is hosted by what can only be described as an angry midget with a mean mouth. Don't know who or what he is, but he's extremely eager to lay the boot into pretty much anything decent. Oddly enough, a search for "angry midget," "mean mouth", "Fox news", doesn't pull up a picture.

HG

Its probably Bill O'Reilly, or one of their other whores like Sean Hannity.

Speaking of drug-addled, here's what Limbaugh uses, oxycontin, a.k.a. "hillbilly heroin".
Rush, this oughta make ya itchy...

Toe Tag

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Jaboney » 22 Nov 2011, 08:43

Familiar story.

Fairleigh Dickinson University wrote:According to the latest results from Fairleigh Dickinson University’s PublicMind Poll, some news sources make us less likely to know what’s going on in the world. In the most recent study, the poll asked New Jerseyans about current events at home and abroad, and from what sources – if any – they get their information. The conclusion: Sunday morning news shows do the most to help people learn about current events, while some outlets, especially Fox News, lead people to be even less informed than those who they don’t watch any news at all.

* The Fairleigh Dickinson University poll of 612 adults statewide was underwritten by WFDU-FM Radio and conducted by telephone using both landlines and cell phones from Oct. 17 through Oct. 23, 2011, and has a margin of error of +/-3.5 percentage points.

Full results available at the link, for those who wish to quibble and cry bias.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 22 Nov 2011, 09:09

Last news I had of Fox was that he'd relocated back to Australia.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

210 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 22 Nov 2011, 09:18

I heard the network was going to buy the NYT and abbreviate the motto to "All the news that fits".
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby adguy » 22 Nov 2011, 09:25

For the record, Rupert Murdoch could really give a rat's a$$ about the politics. The money is on the right, and that's why he went there. He has been quoted many times that if there was money to made on the left, he'd go left. FOX "News" was a concept conceived by Roger Ailes in the Nixon White House, but couldn't get off the ground until two things happened: 1 - Talk radio laid out the blanket to turn the middle class on itself and the poor, rolling commuting workers and blue collar laborers hard to the right. 2 - They found an enormously wealthy investor willing to trust Ailes theory that an army of Republicans could be created from regular Joes, and give him full control of the execution. That was all Murdoch was to FOX: the money. It has become its own animal, and as long as Murdoch is making money, he leaves it alone.
Forumosan avatar
adguy
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

14 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics