The John Edwards' story

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

The John Edwards' story

Postby Okami » 10 Jan 2010, 11:53

http://nymag.com/news/politics/63045/

I never liked the guy, but this expose is just astounding. I know we will never see anything like this from the Clintons as far as detail, though I think we will see it soon from the Obama camp circa 2011.

How did this guy get so little scrutiny? (rhetorical question since I already know the answer)

Tom Daschle has a sense of humor, who knew?
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Re: The John Edwards' story

Postby Wookiee » 10 Jan 2010, 20:30

A excellet read, indeed, but sadly, not surprising. It's quite telling when such an "expose" fails to do little more than reaffirm the putridity at the core of money politics and power.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 13 Jan 2010, 15:51

Wookiee wrote:It's quite telling when such an "expose" fails to do little more than reaffirm the putridity at the core of money politics and power.

Quite true...but then, he is a Democrat and a lawyer.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 13 Jan 2010, 16:03

In the book it is from there is suppose to be even more stuff like Bubba getting another mistress. I'm not enough of a political hack to actually buy the book, "Game Change", but it does sound like your average TV show drama from little I have seen.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 13 Jan 2010, 16:31

"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 13 Jan 2010, 17:50

TainanCowboy wrote:
Wookiee wrote:It's quite telling when such an "expose" fails to do little more than reaffirm the putridity at the core of money politics and power.

Quite true...but then, he is a Democrat and a lawyer.

Could be worse. He could be a Republican. :D
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

233 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 13 Jan 2010, 18:15

I doubt that any of you have read the whole thing, as it's 15 pages. But it does look entertaining, so I printed it out and intend to get to it one of these days.

I do wonder, though, how accurate/credible/reliable it is. Not that I'm "sticking up for him because he's a Democrat" -- I'm not, I know there are plenty of slimy politicians of all parties -- I just wonder how much is fact and how much is fantasy to sell a book.

Anyway, I look forward to reading it.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby mofangongren » 14 Jan 2010, 15:34

I read it. Seems that most of the article focuses on the self-destruction that John Edwards went through as he refused to take responsibility for the Rielle Hunter relationship and its effect upon his marriage and public image. In the end, the article indicates that Edwards' staff did a good job of holding in the story until he finally failed as a primary candidate on his own merits. However, the affair, his difficulties in figuring who would ultimately win the primary, and his inability to see how he was coming off on others ultimately cost him the credibility he'd need for a cabinet position or even a speaking slot at the convention. And the article also indicate that he had a big, fat puffed head from being a Veep candidate in 2004 that probably impaired his judgment all along the way.
"As to your first question, that would be murder in some degree. As to your second, there are no laws in this state regarding the unlicensed practice of taxidermy or puppetry."
Forumosan avatar
mofangongren
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Wookiee » 15 Jan 2010, 12:59

Fairly good summary, but I was astounded by his arrogance in assuming that he could pull the "I did it, but I didn't inhale" defence (I only slept with her once). Hubris!

mofangongren wrote:I read it. Seems that most of the article focuses on the self-destruction that John Edwards went through as he refused to take responsibility for the Rielle Hunter relationship and its effect upon his marriage and public image. In the end, the article indicates that Edwards' staff did a good job of holding in the story until he finally failed as a primary candidate on his own merits. However, the affair, his difficulties in figuring who would ultimately win the primary, and his inability to see how he was coming off on others ultimately cost him the credibility he'd need for a cabinet position or even a speaking slot at the convention. And the article also indicate that he had a big, fat puffed head from being a Veep candidate in 2004 that probably impaired his judgment all along the way.
--
......... __ o
.........-\<,
......(O) (O)...........
Forumosan avatar
Wookiee

8 Recognized(s)

Postby mofangongren » 15 Jan 2010, 14:14

It'd be hard to put oneself into Edwards' shoes -- guy screws up big-time has an affair that he probably rationalizes out of horniness, being on the road, and also being somewhat aware that his existing wife might be gone soon from incurable cancer. And so he does something that, when exposed, causes said wife enormous pain, so he tries to tell her the lie that's both self-serving but also his best bets for re-assuring his cancer-stricken wife that it was a slip-up and that he still loves her by saying "it was just that one time". Given the length of the marriage, Edwards' not being generally known (as Bill Clinton was) for rutting like a rock star, and their shared history (both profoundly affected by loss of their son in a car accident), it's quite likely Edwards has very strong feelings for his wife so I find it credible that the lie came out of a mix of good and bad motives.

He comes off in the article as a systematic bumbler and far from a pro at this, and yet he was somehow so discreet that even the top advisors traveling with him from state to state are only relying upon the "vibe" they get from Edwards' interaction with Hunter and not scenes like them holing up in airplane restrooms together or Hunter sneaking into his hotel room.
"As to your first question, that would be murder in some degree. As to your second, there are no laws in this state regarding the unlicensed practice of taxidermy or puppetry."
Forumosan avatar
mofangongren

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to International Politics