The John Edwards' story

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: The John Edwards' story

Postby GeographicCure » 17 Jan 2010, 16:55

Has anyone bought the book? I've never read an expose title of this sort, so I'm wondering how the disclaimer is handled (or if there is one at all).

In the excerpt, the author relates actual conversations that occurred, as well as what actual players were thinking (including Edwards himself, oddly) in rather profane form. I'm sure plenty of people were interviewed anonymously and "on background", but I would also assume no staffer would actually agree to be quoted in this sort of thing. Is that sort of license normal in these types of work?

It's clearly not a work of fiction, so does the disclaimer say that it's a work of "speculation"?

No tears shed for John Edwards here, and though I sympathize with cancer-stricken families as a rule, it was the Edwards who decided to make it part of their political campaign.
GeoCure - Everywhere I go, there I am.

'...but man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.'
-W Shakespeare
Forumosan avatar
GeographicCure
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby GeographicCure » 22 Jan 2010, 11:08

Edwards officially 'fesses up to fathering the child:
Front page of CNN.com

Not really "news", per se, more of a "development". :lol:
GeoCure - Everywhere I go, there I am.

'...but man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assur'd,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.'
-W Shakespeare
Forumosan avatar
GeographicCure

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby ChewDawg » 23 Dec 2011, 10:49

Now it appears as if John Edwards has a mystery illness :lol: :lol: I'm guessing he has some dandruff on his pretty-boy hair or a really bad yeast infection! :lol: :lol: What a princess!

Former presidential candidate John Edwards says he has been diagnosed with a medical condition that would make it difficult for him to attend his approaching criminal trial over campaign finances and is asking for it to be delayed.

In a motion filed Thursday, Edwards' lawyers asked a federal judge to delay the start of the Jan. 30 trial for at least two months. They did not disclose his illness and filed sealed records with the court.

"The Defendant has a medical issue ... that will prevent a trial of this matter during the January 2012 Criminal Term," the motion says. "The failure to grant a continuance would be likely to result in a miscarriage of justice."

Members of the defense team could not immediately be reached for comment.

Federal prosecutors filed a separate motion opposing the delay, saying they are ready to try Edwards on six felony and misdemeanor counts related to nearly $1 million from wealthy donors used to help hide his pregnant mistress, Rielle Hunter, during his 2008 run for the While House.

Edwards, a Democrat, denies knowingly violating the law and has pleaded not guilty.

The start date of the trial has already been put back once after Edwards said he needed more time to prepare his defense and attend his daughter's wedding.

Edwards appeared healthy last week at a pretrial hearing in the case.

: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z1hK2NAb7r
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 23 Dec 2011, 23:27

Okami wrote:Health Care? Are you serious or are you taking the piss out of me. I want to be sure if too many hockey pucks have hit you in the head or not. I'll bet you a Lunch with drinks at Yuma's on a Sunday health care DOES NOT get passed and signed into law by the end of February. The health care bill is KIA which will become terribly apparent for us in Taiwan on Jan 20th.

Retooled defense spending? How so? I would love to here this one.

I can't wait to hear what the small ticket items are.

So, Okami, did you buy Jaboney drinks at Yuma's? Technically, you don't have to, because the bill was signed into law in March, not February of 2010. Still, it would be a classy move. :cool:
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

161 Recommends(s)
296 Recognized(s)

Postby Okami » 24 Dec 2011, 01:15

He never took me up on it. :cactus:

As it was Pelosi used "Deem and Pass" which in spite of being hopelessly dirty she got away with it because she's a democrat after all. I can't believe the shit that woman has gotten away with.

Defense spending is going to look pretty shitty real soon.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Gao Bohan » 24 Dec 2011, 06:17

Okami wrote:As it was Pelosi used "Deem and Pass" which in spite of being hopelessly dirty she got away with it because she's a democrat after all. I can't believe the shit that woman has gotten away with.

Check your facts. She did consider it, but didn't follow through when Republicans (rightfully) objected. They had a straight up or down vote on the Senate bill, which was then signed directly into law by Obama. Then the House and Senate passed a budget reconcilation amendment through a special procedure, which was also signed by the POTUS. But that only affected funding. The substantive bill was passed through normal legislative procedures in both houses.
Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal. - John F. Kennedy
Forumosan avatar
Gao Bohan

161 Recommends(s)
296 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to International Politics