Republicans Need Cuckoo part II

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: Republicans Need Cuckoo part II

Postby Chris » 16 Mar 2011, 11:39

Glenn Beck makes bizarre statement that the earthquake is divine or cosmic retribution against Japan for "the stuff they're doing", whatever that might be. :s Plus idiocy by other public figures.... not all of whom are Republicans.

Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
217 Recognized(s)

Postby Hobbes » 16 Mar 2011, 19:09

suiyuan31 wrote:My interpretation is that he values people's finances, particularly those who play the markets, more than human lives of typical people. To say that the human toll was "thankfully" greater than the financial certainly shows that in his mind the financial toll on everyday people is not as important as those who might have to sell their third home or sell their luxury car.

To my mind, the financial toll is also a human toll. People are losing their jobs, businesses, and livelihood. This isn't what he was concerned about either-he was concerned with the markets. While I don't believe for a second he is happy people died, he did show that he thinks money is more important than people and their lives. It is disgusting, though not as bad as you made it out to be.

That's fair enough, suiyuan. I think you stated your interpretation well. That's just not how I, personally, viewed the comments. I didn't watch the whole show though, and I don't know much about this person, so maybe I would have taken it differently if I had other information. :idunno:

Your interpretation was that he thought "the human toll was 'thankfully' greater than the financial". If that was rephrased as "the financial toll was 'thankfully' less than the human" would it change the meaning for you? I don't know for sure if it would for me, but I think it might.

Example 1: If I told you that my older son had broken his leg in an accident, but that my younger son had "thankfully" only suffered an ankle sprain, I think it would convey a different message than if I told you that my younger son had gotten an ankle sprain but that "thankfully" my older son had broken his leg.

To me those two statements are different, but I understand that you may not agree and that it's a matter of personal interpretation.

Example 2:If you already knew that my older son had broken his leg, and then you asked me about my younger son, and I said "Well, thankfully, he only got a sprain", would you then believe that I cared more about my younger son than about my older son?

My reading of Kudlow's comment was that a terrible tragedy had happened in terms of human life, and that when the question was turned to the economic impact his view was that [a terrible human tragedy + a minor economic tragedy] was a better outcome than [a terrible human tragedy + a terrible economic tragedy].

Example 3: To put it in a different context (while staying in the realm of the IP forum), let's say this thing in Libya ends up in a worst case scenario, resulting in even greater human suffering than we're seeing now, but that things in Tunisia turn out better. If I wrote that we could be grateful that Tunisia didn't turn out as bad as Libya would you assume that I cared more about Tunisia than Libya? Maybe that's how you'd interpret it, but if so you'd be wrong, because if I were to say that, all I would mean is that the total amount of suffering was less than it could have been if things had gone differently.

Anyway, that's how I see it. As I said, I agree that it's a matter of personal interpretation, and if I were already pre-disposed to thinking this Kudlow guy was a jerk (as opposed to having no opinion about him one way or the other), then I might have taken his remarks differently.

Cheers,
H
Forumosan avatar
Hobbes
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Vorkosigan » 16 Mar 2011, 23:01

Simple version: He just mixed up a line. No big deal, really.
Vorkosigan
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 17 Mar 2011, 12:30

I'm with Hobbes on this, but Chris' interpretation does make for good comedy (unsurprisingly).

Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby suiyuan31 » 17 Mar 2011, 13:41

Hobbes wrote:Anyway, that's how I see it. As I said, I agree that it's a matter of personal interpretation, and if I were already pre-disposed to thinking this Kudlow guy was a jerk (as opposed to having no opinion about him one way or the other), then I might have taken his remarks differently.

I knew nothing about the guy at the time and had never even heard his name. I did a bit of research and he has said idiotic things before and believes idiotic things, such as GW Bush is the greatest economic mind of the 21st century, lol. I also could only find one "apology" where he only twittered that he flubbed the line. That may be true, but for me, if you flub a line like that it might be better to give a more heart-felt kind of apology. Express how you really feel about the human toll...express more clearly what you were thinking. I don't understand why he hasn't/can't. I truly want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but he is not helping himself.

And Hobbes, you proved that sarcasm is a really poor form of communication! There are people here who would say such things and since I usually don't pay much attention to who posts what, I had no idea you weren't serious :lol:
I'm an acquired taste. If you don't like me, acquire some taste.
Forumosan avatar
suiyuan31
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 17 Mar 2011, 14:06

His words may have come out wrong, and it may well be that he didn't mean to trivialize the loss of life. But it sounds to me like a classic Freudian slip, which when combined with things he has said in the past, makes it appear as if he actually values the financial markets more than human lives.

Of course, now we have slime like Beck and Limbaugh joking about the tragedy being divine retribution on the Japanese for being good, industrious, environmentally responsible people, whereas some others have said this was God's punishment for Pearl Harbor (as if Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren't enough).
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
217 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 17 Mar 2011, 23:35

Michigan governor slashes corporate taxes but raises taxes of the little guy, while also slashing education.

Republicans live in backward-land.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
96 Recommends(s)
217 Recognized(s)

Postby suiyuan31 » 06 Apr 2011, 11:23

I don't really know where else to post this. Now I don't really have anything against Boehner, but I really wish he would stop with the crying face. To much cry face and people are going to start think you are cracking up....America doesn't need that kind of cuckoo right now.
Forumosan avatar
suiyuan31

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 06 Apr 2011, 12:17

It looks like he lost his tan.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby suiyuan31 » 06 Apr 2011, 20:18

Dr. McCoy wrote:It looks like he lost his tan.

You know, you may be onto something. I have never actually seen him cry with the tan. It's quite possible he has seasonal affective disorder. :ponder:

Maybe I should start a poll: Which is better, tanned Boehner or crying Boehner?

I think the answer is clear. Tan if it stops the crying face.
Forumosan avatar
suiyuan31

4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics