Thread for pics & video of the G20 riots in Toronto

IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Moderators: Mick, TheGingerMan

Forum rules
IP is the place for boisterous political discussion, but please remember, the Rules still apply, especially with regards to Personal Attacks. These and other inappropriate posts will be removed without notification.

Re: Thread for pics & video of the G20 riots in Toronto

Postby Jaboney » 30 Jun 2010, 17:01

Bad PR on top of bad tactics and performance.
Globe and Mail wrote:Toronto Police staged a display of weaponry to demonstrate “the extent of the criminal conspiracy” among hard-line G20 protesters, but several of the items had nothing to do with the summit.

Facing criticism for their tactics, police invited journalists on Tuesday to view a range of weapons, from a machete and baseball bat to bear spray and crowbars.

Chief Bill Blair, who told reporters the items were evidence of the protesters’ intent, singled out arrows covered in sports socks, which he said were designed to be dipped in a flammable liquid and set ablaze.

However, the arrows belong to Brian Barrett, a 25-year-old landscaper who was heading to a role-playing fantasy game when he was stopped at Union Station on Saturday morning. Police took his jousting gear but let Mr. Barrett go, saying it was a case of bad timing.

In addition to the arrows – which Mr. Barrett made safe for live-action role playing by cutting off the pointy ends and attaching a bit of pool noodle covered in socks – police displayed his metal body armour, foam shields and several clubs made of plastic tubing covered with foam and fabric.
[...]
Police also displayed a crossbow and chainsaw seized in an incident on Friday that they said had no ties to the summit. When asked, Chief Blair acknowledged they were unrelated, but said “everything else” had been confiscated from demonstrators.

Julian Falconer, a Toronto lawyer representing four independent journalists in summit-related police complaints, called the display of unrelated objects a “public-relations exercise [that] borders on the absurd.”
[...]
The display came as police face increasing fire for their methods in dealing with demonstrators. Amid calls for a public inquiry, Chief Blair announced an internal police review of summit policing earlier Tuesday.
Oh yes, I'm sure that internal review will get right to the bottom of this.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 30 Jun 2010, 17:15

Jaboney wrote:
Fortigurn wrote:trolling

Agreeing with you that the police didn't do their job properly is not trolling. Failing to be disappointed that the police didn't commit the brutalities you claimed, isn't trolling. Pointing out that you are deliberately misrepresenting police actions isn't trolling either.

Just for you, Fortigurn, here's footage of what happens when people are trampled. (Not) Sorry there's no images of children.

Thanks, I'm aware of what happend when people are trampled. Let me guess, this isn't footage from the recent G20 summit?

Ok, I've watched it and sure enough it isn't. It's footage of children behaving stupidly and suffering as a consequence. How surprising!
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 30 Jun 2010, 17:33

Fortigurn wrote:Agreeing with you that the police didn't do their job properly is not trolling. Failing to be disappointed that the police didn't commit the brutalities you claimed, isn't trolling. Pointing out that you are deliberately misrepresenting police actions isn't trolling either.

Fortigurn wrote:I agree, and I sahre your disappointment that no such injuries appear to have been incurred, or children trampled.
Deliberate misrepresentation.

Fortigurn wrote: But it appears you agree the police in Canada are indeed accountable, and it disappoints you.
Deliberate misrepresentation.

Fortigurn wrote:I got your club right here. :thumbsup:

wikipedia wrote:The Posse Comitatus (from the Latin phrase meaning "force of the county") is a loosely organized far right social movement that opposes the United States federal government and believes in localism. There is no single national group, and local units are autonomous.
Posse charters were issued in 1969 in Portland, Oregon, by Henry Lamont Beach, "a retired dry cleaner and one-time member of the Silver Shirts, a Nazi-inspired organization that was established in America after Hitler rose to power in Germany".
[...]
Some Posse members embraced the anti-semitic and white supremacist beliefs of Christian Identity.[citation needed] Some believe that the U.S. Federal government is illegitimate and in the hands of "ZOG," an alleged Jewish conspiracy.
Guilt by (mis)association.

Trolling, start to finish.

Congratulations, sir. Your posts, together with your professed affinities, are together of a character that makes one ashamed to claim a Christian identity or influence in political discourse. Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens, and Richard Dawkins try so hard to discredit religion in the public sphere, but you do so effortlessly. Well done.

/conversation.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby bereal » 03 Jul 2010, 12:40

Three yrs ago I would have labeled these protesters as thugs/criminals,ect. I realalize now that it is the ruling class that are the thugs. Do you think the in war Vietnam would have ended if all the protesters voiced their opinion from a computer or signed petitions? Good thing this summit wasn't in the states where frustration is at the boiling point.
bereal
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby Jaboney » 03 Jul 2010, 13:06

Which protesters? The ones in black masks? Riot tourists. Lock'em up. The serious protesters? They have some serious charges to lay against the police.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 03 Jul 2010, 13:24

A Well-Regulated Militia would have done it much smartish.
And much cheaper.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
245 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby Chewycorns » 03 Jul 2010, 15:42

Am I the only one who finds the notion of a bunch of Marxist protestors whining about a police state ironic in the extreme? :lol: :lol:
Forumosan avatar
Chewycorns
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 03 Jul 2010, 19:06

bereal wrote:Three yrs ago I would have labeled these protesters as thugs/criminals,ect.
Some are/were...some arn't. You'd have been partly right in your generalization.
bereal wrote:I realalize now that it is the ruling class that are the thugs.
"Ruling class"..?
I wasn't aware that Canada had regressed to a monarchy. Did that pass in the Canadian Parliament? Or whatever it is they call that thing they have?
bereal wrote:Do you think the in war Vietnam would have ended if all the protesters voiced their opinion from a computer or signed petitions?
Is this a rhetorical question? Perhaps you might want to do a bit of study on who was actually behind the organizing and funding of the Viet Nam war protests. Some were at a grass-roots level by concerned citizens...but the heavyweights calling the shots had their purses filled and strings pulled from state agencies with heavy hand in the game of overturning the USA. Just study up a bit on that. Quite interesting.
bereal wrote:Good thing this summit wasn't in the states where frustration is at the boiling point.
Uhh...perhaps you've been busy. These summits have been held in American cities already. Same actors pulling the same games.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby bereal » 03 Jul 2010, 23:41

Is this a rhetorical question? Perhaps you might want to do a bit of study on who was actually behind the organizing and funding of the Viet Nam war protests.

I am aware the CP had their thing going during the war if that's who you are referring to. I'll check it out.

I wasn't aware that Canada had regressed to a monarchy. Did that pass in the Canadian Parliament?

see admiralty law and common law.
bereal

Postby Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer » 04 Jul 2010, 03:17

There's a buzz on the internet claiming that Harper & Co. planned all along to cause the riots as a false flag operation to turn Toronto into more of a police state. I'm not sure if I agree with any or all of that, but the fact that some people believe it shows how low we've sunk in not being able to trust our government. Sad world we live in.

Ouch! This one makes me cringe:

Number of police does seem a little excessive

I will publish my thoughts on all of this when I sober up.
Forumosan avatar
Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to International Politics