I need to create my own paypal account and tie it to my Taiwan bank account.

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: I need to create my own paypal account and tie it to my Taiwan bank account.

Postby Pingdong » 21 Jul 2011, 23:00

paypal works fine for me as well.

But ebay is a lost hope. I have spent many hours, its just damn near impossible. and then trying to prove identity through the phone, id rather lose a leg.
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Re: I need to create my own paypal account and tie it to my Taiwan bank account.

Postby mortenhn » 27 Jul 2011, 09:42

Hi cfi

Could you explain how you added a ChinaTrust account to PayPal ?, I tried about a year ago and it didn't work, and would like to try again.

Best regards
Morten
mortenhn
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby cfimages » 27 Jul 2011, 10:02

Just went to the add account section and entered the details.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

234 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 13 Feb 2012, 13:08

cfimages wrote:I just checked mine and was able to add a regular Chinatrust bank account to it. The account itself has no visa debit type features at all, it's a plain ATM card and passbook. I logged into Paypal via paypal.com not paypal.com.tw.

I'm trying to do the same thing with a Chinatrust bank account on an already existing Paypal account. How does currency conversion work if you are only holding TWD in Chinatrust?

Example: I link Chinatrust to Paypal. I want to pay for something in USD using Paypal.

Does it take out TWD then convert in Paypal? Does it ask the bank for USD?
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 13 Feb 2012, 13:16

mabagal wrote:
cfimages wrote:I just checked mine and was able to add a regular Chinatrust bank account to it. The account itself has no visa debit type features at all, it's a plain ATM card and passbook. I logged into Paypal via paypal.com not paypal.com.tw.

I'm trying to do the same thing with a Chinatrust bank account on an already existing Paypal account. How does currency conversion work if you are only holding TWD in Chinatrust?

Example: I link Chinatrust to Paypal. I want to pay for something in USD using Paypal.

Does it take out TWD then convert in Paypal? Does it ask the bank for USD?

I'm not sure where the conversion takes place.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

234 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 13 Feb 2012, 13:19

Does it convert?

ie: TWD 30000 from Chinatrust into Paypal turns into ~1000USD?

Sorry for the seemingly obvious questions. I am trying to decide whether to use my existing Paypal account or to create a new one in TW. Thanks!
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 13 Feb 2012, 13:26

Yeah, it converts ok.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages

234 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 13 Feb 2012, 18:48

Thanks for the help! I wasn't able to add my TW bank to my already existing US Paypal account due to the inability for the US system to take TW-format bank identifiers as opposed to the US-style routing numbers. So I had to open another Paypal account using paypal.com/tw.

The form there had the correct format for Taiwan including 3-digit Bank ID and 4-digit Branch ID as opposed to a single 9-digit routing number. It's now in the process of transferring the two small amounts to the account for verification.

It also took my Visa IC card number as a payment mechanism, to my surprise. I haven't verified whether this works yet, however.

The currency conversion appears to happen on Paypal's end (Paypal takes and puts TWD from the TW account).

I'll post again once I get a chance to test drive this.
mabagal

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

Postby Gilgamesh » 22 Feb 2012, 13:14

I've been trying to figure out how to get money from my freelance work into Taiwan and I have been looking into Paypal for doing this. What I don't like about paypal is that they charge 2.7% (I think this is the amount) above the exchange rate. This can add up to quite a bit of money if you're changing a fair amount of money and they don't give you the option of keeping it in a different currency. You have to convert it to Taiwan dollars.
Gilgamesh
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby tcthepoet » 26 Oct 2013, 18:29

I arrived in Taiwan in late August to work at National Chiao Tung University, and because of payroll restrictions have not been paid yet. I expect to be paid on 1 Nov.; I am wanting to setup a PayPal account here, but PayPal asks me for my Taiwan ID number, which I gather is my ARC ID. However, PayPal specifically asks for a 1-letter/9-digit ID, but it appears that my ID is 2-letter/8-digit (unless I'm mistaken). I would like to transfer some money back to the States to pay bills, but if my ID is actually a 2-letter/8-digit, then I may have to go about it a different way. Any help on this matter will be appreciated.
tcthepoet

In Taiwan since: 27 Aug 2013

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Money