Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Paying American bills with Taiwanese Bank Account?

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Paying American bills with Taiwanese Bank Account?

Postby Lili » 08 Dec 2011, 01:22

My amount of USD is quickly disappearing after the monthly online bills are paid.
Can I pay my American bills (student loan, credit card) using my Fubon bank or something?

This is with the idea that I won't have to transfer any currency between bank accounts and can avoid the bank fees...?
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Re: Paying American bills with Taiwanese Bank Account?

Postby tommy525 » 08 Dec 2011, 03:15

You hv a checking account in the USA yes? You can access your banking online?

Send yourself US dollars from TAiwan to your US account via telex transfer from a Taiwan bank.

Now you have US dollars available to pay bills.

I don't think the Taiwanese banks have a facility where you can pay US bills without transfer fees, etc. I may be wrong tho.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

600 Recommends(s)
372 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 08 Dec 2011, 05:33

With only one exception that I know of: No.

In my own personal experience, and what I've gathered from the dozens of Forumosa threads on this subject, getting money from one country to another is a wire transfer, which costs money. The only exception I've heard of is if you have a huge pile of money in HSBC, they make the process pretty seamless and absorb the fees, making it look like it's the same as online bill pay. You can also read on threads here of people saying they figured out a way to use PayPal to do it, which presumably costs less than a wire transfer. You could also get an ATM card for your account here to someone you trust in the US to withdraw money there and pay your bills, also less expensive than wire transfers.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 08 Dec 2011, 12:44

CraigTPE wrote:With only one exception that I know of: No.

In my own personal experience, and what I've gathered from the dozens of Forumosa threads on this subject, getting money from one country to another is a wire transfer, which costs money. The only exception I've heard of is if you have a huge pile of money in HSBC, they make the process pretty seamless and absorb the fees, making it look like it's the same as online bill pay. You can also read on threads here of people saying they figured out a way to use PayPal to do it, which presumably costs less than a wire transfer. You could also get an ATM card for your account here to someone you trust in the US to withdraw money there and pay your bills, also less expensive than wire transfers.

Yea I saw those :/ But I was wondering about directly paying my bills with my TWN card.
I'm gonna try it to see what happens, once I can find my Taiwanese checking account number :/
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili

ORIGINAL POSTER
21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 08 Dec 2011, 14:58

You will be a pioneer. If you find a way to pay US bills with an account in Taiwan, you will have gone where no man or woman has been able to go before, at least as recorded on this Forum.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby milkalex » 08 Dec 2011, 15:56

can't you pay with a credit card like in Ireland and Australia? They don't even care what country your cc is from. You might have to pay a fee (like 1% or so) though
milkalex
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 08 Dec 2011, 16:01

milkalex wrote:can't you pay with a credit card like in Ireland and Australia? They don't even care what country your cc is from. You might have to pay a fee (like 1% or so) though

Probably, but good luck getting a credit card in Taiwan. Also, I think most Visa cards charge closer to 3-4% (depending on the card and bank) for overseas charges.

That being said, if your debit card is activated for foreign transactions, you might be able to use it.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 15 Dec 2011, 11:10

Any update, Lili?
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 20 Dec 2011, 23:42

You cannot do US bill pay from a foreign account, the routing systems are completely incompatible.
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

29 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 13 Feb 2012, 19:03

Has anyone tried this with 2 of your own Paypal accounts? Basically just pay for a service from yourself over Paypal and then ship it to your bank on the US end to do the billpay. I haven't calculated the fees to see if this would work better than credit card or a wire, but it would definitely be more convenient than a wire being able to do all this from your phone or PC and would provide a convenient way to move funds back and forth.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

11 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Money