Transfer money to Taiwan - share your experience

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: Transfer money to Taiwan - share your experience

Postby tango42 » 28 Feb 2012, 19:30

fh2000 wrote:I sent money from US to Taiwan, so my experience may not be universal. What I did was, I got a hold of the phone number of the bank in Taiwan that my relative has an account. I called the bank and asked for options. I found out that the cheapest way for me is to send my relative in Taiwan a US personal check. My relative deposit this check in his local branch in Taiwan. The bank charges him 1100 NTD. Wire transfer would cost me more in total fees. The downside of depositing a personal check in the bank in Taiwan, is that the bank holds the money for 3 weeks.

I guess this example would work by writing a check to oneself from own account in the US (or other country) and deposit in own local account (if have a local account).

What is the best way to either one time or reguarly transfer money to Taiwan or to a Taiwan bank account?
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby Satellite TV » 29 Feb 2012, 23:11

headhonchoII wrote:I think the intermediate bank charges a flat fee , could be around 20-30 USD. One of citibanks main cash cows is interbank clearance. It's funny if they use that in their own international transactions! I have an overseas HSBC account, they charge a flat fee but they also charge another fee for wiring money specifically to Taiwan. Then the intermediate bank and the host bank may also apply a fee and you cannot be sure about the exchange rate. So check the small print.

Depends on your account status with HSBC HK. I used to get charged HK$100 for a TT to Taiwan now I don't get charged anything. You can confirm the exchange rate you will get with any bank here. PS who says you should transfer to HSBC here? Try another bank. Taiwan cooperative charges me NT$300 for an incoming TT
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Satellite TV » 29 Feb 2012, 23:13

tango42 wrote:What is the best way to either one time or reguarly transfer money to Taiwan or to a Taiwan bank account?

For me its online banking with one of my overseas accounts to my local bank. I do not need to go to local bank with chop for my personal account they call me and tell me funds have been received and deposited to my account.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Transfer money to Taiwan - share your experience

Postby headhonchoII » 01 Mar 2012, 00:31

Yes online accoumt transfer can be very quick, often completed within a few hours. It's best to
Lock down your account and specify only one or two accounts as being allowed to accept transfers out, cuts down on risk of hacking, but they give you little number generating security devices too which also helps.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby mei0319 » 03 Mar 2012, 19:22

I think the cheapest and fastest way to move money from the US, and perhaps other countries is to have an account with Citibank in the country the money is coming from and open an account here with Citibank. It's NT200 flat fee per check and takes a week or so. The problem maybe you don't have an account with Citibank in US and can't open one now remotely. Maybe ask a family member to open it for you and mail the bank card and check later. I got the info from talking with Citibank persons and their checking account contract.
mei0319
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 05 Mar 2012, 06:09

I've only ever done a wire transfer here once, out of Taiwan to the US. There were fees from the originating bank, the receiving credit union and an intermediary bank, adding up to about US$40.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby mei0319 » 05 Mar 2012, 18:50

I just went back to my bank transaction history and fund out that using Zhanghua bank's ATM to withdraw cash with my ATM card issue by an US bank is the cheaper than China Trust's. I think China Trust charge you NT100 per withdrawal, and $5 by my US bank. I just found out Citibank can move money from one country to another if you have accounts with it in that two countries, without a fee. IT's called Global transfer or something, I'll post again when I have more.
mei0319

1 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Timabee » 06 Mar 2012, 00:31

American Express Bank (American Express Federal Savings Bank) in the U.S. permits free transfer of money from and to up to 3 (I think) designated accounts (domestically and internationally) so long as all accounts ar ein your name. I do not think there is a minimum balance requirement no any other cratively labeled fees. I have checked their website and called the bank and have not seen anything like hidden fees etc. Looks pretty good - but I have not tested it yet.
Timabee
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

2 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby mei0319 » 30 Mar 2012, 20:41

Ok, so after a year back to Taiwan from the US, finally I figured out the cheapest and quickest way to transfer fund from the US. You need to open an account with citibank in the US and another citibank account here in Taiwan. Then, it's easy to move fund online from one citiback to another citibank, and fast, within the same day or the next business day, depending the time you do your transfer. The exchange rate in citi bank is as good as can get. I have my mom deposit my paycheck back in the States (I work for a US company remotely) and move it to my citibank here in Taiwan and then, it's your money to spend. The transfer itself is free, and if you use citi's bank ATM, it's free as well. On a non-citi ATM, it's just a few Taiwan dollars per withdrawal.
:discodance:

This post was recommended by Nevada_Guy (09 Dec 2012, 02:36)
Rating: 4%
mei0319

1 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 30 Mar 2012, 20:49

mei0319 wrote:Ok, so after a year back to Taiwan from the US, finally I figured out the cheapest and quickest way to transfer fund from the US. You need to open an account with citibank in the US and another citibank account here in Taiwan. Then, it's easy to move fund online from one citiback to another citibank, and fast, within the same day or the next business day, depending the time you do your transfer. The exchange rate in citi bank is as good as can get. I have my mom deposit my paycheck back in the States (I work for a US company remotely) and move it to my citibank here in Taiwan and then, it's your money to spend. The transfer itself is free, and if you use citi's bank ATM, it's free as well. On a non-citi ATM, it's just a few Taiwan dollars per withdrawal.
:discodance:

Are you sure about the "free" part? Aside from HSBC's program for people with very high account balances, I've never heard of any bank offering free international transfers, even if the name of the bank is the same in both countries. Is the Citibank program also for those with high account balances?
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Money