Paypal u.s./twd exchange rate seems wrong

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Paypal u.s./twd exchange rate seems wrong

Postby syrianrue » 21 Mar 2012, 13:11

i just purchased something online using the visa card in Taiwan... it went through fine, however, i noticed that paypal has the exchange rate wrong. as of today, the exchange rate should be about 1 u.s. dollar = $29 something twd... but on paypal it says it's about $32.20

anyone have any clue as to why?
syrianrue
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Paypal u.s./twd exchange rate seems wrong

Postby SillyWilly » 21 Mar 2012, 13:50

syrianrue wrote:i just purchased something online using the visa card in Taiwan... it went through fine, however, i noticed that paypal has the exchange rate wrong. as of today, the exchange rate should be about 1 u.s. dollar = $29 something twd... but on paypal it says it's about $32.20

anyone have any clue as to why?

Think it just means you're getting screwed by PayPal, pal. +-9% premium on spot price. Jeezzz! :no-no:
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 29 Mar 2012, 14:26

Very normal. Paypal allows you to easily move money around, so of course they get their cut. It has been more than worth it for me in the past when I used them.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby kevinsang01212 » 31 Mar 2012, 08:38

yep, the last time I received some payment thru Paypal, I had to pay fees and the exchange rate.

Overall, I lost about 200 usd. Damn

Kevin
Gaming, Application Development, Android, Iphone. 3D Visualization

http://www.uncagedgaming.com
email: kevin@uncagedgaming.com

We are International developer with International quality and we only take International quality clients.
Forumosan avatar
kevinsang01212
I'll be at 99 Ranch Market (wǒ jiāng huì zài dà huá chāo shì)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 05 Apr 2012, 01:02

kevinsang01212 wrote:yep, the last time I received some payment thru Paypal, I had to pay fees and the exchange rate.

Overall, I lost about 200 usd. Damn

Kevin

Next time, click on the option that allows your bank to determine the exchange rate rather than let paypal determine that for you. I find that the bank's rate is always significantly lower than paypal's rate even though you won't see it up front.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recommends(s)
86 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 07 Apr 2012, 23:32

Paypal's apparently changed their fees lately, from 2% up to $1 to 2% up to $20. :noway:
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Money