What do you think are good investment targets for next few years?

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: What do you think are good investment targets for next few years?

Postby SillyWilly » 10 Apr 2012, 12:23

headhonchoII wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304459804577281490129153610.html

The key to this article is that natural gas demand is going to ramp up in the US to at least double current levels in the next few years, (>200 natural gas plants in construction, only 2 nuclear) the only thing that could prevent that is if coal prices drop. Even then carbon taxes and air pollution laws strongly favour gas.
So when the plants come on line, LPG terminals are ready to export and the slow down in drilling due to depressed prices, natural gas prices will shoot up, probably to 7-8 USD/M3 from 2-3 now (prices in Europe are around 17 USD/M3. This is a great investing opportunity.

Look at this chart of historical prices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Henry ... prices.svg

Interesting aside-
JAPAN- http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-03-0 ... tdown.html
INDIA- http://blogs.economictimes.indiatimes.c ... l_gas_glut

Not only that, but nuclear will then see a resurgence in a few years as gas prices increase and the government and power companies realise they shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket. As many US power companies will be sitting on pre-approved nuclear plants that have passed up to date safety standards, nuclear plants will be built much faster than previously meaning stocks related to supply of nuclear power generating equipment will get a big boost.

How would you suggest a retail investor participate in the coming natural gas advance, in terms of investment vehicles?
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 10 Apr 2012, 12:26

I would go with a mix of stocks and natural gas linked ETF. For stocks I would pick Chesapeake and then a few smaller and riskier natural gas developers, if they don't go bankrupt during this period, should explode in evaluation. You could also look at the operators of LPG terminals that have a license or who are applying for an export license.

Here is a good article on the subject- http://seekingalpha.com/article/446711- ... my-answers
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 10 Apr 2012, 12:28

Indiana wrote:In terms of buying property in the Philippines, isn't it similar to Thailand with foreigners being unable to actually own land (but able to own a flat as long as a certain percentage of the flats in the building are owned by nationals)?

A French friend of mine who is engaged to a Filippina went to the Philippines to inquire about property (he is retired and had wanted to live there). He met enough screwed-over foreign men while there to completely decide against it. He came back with so many horror stories from his short visit that my husband and I couldn't believe it.

I wouldn't buy a property directly, I would invest in building companies or some consumer related stocks. That is if I was serious about investing there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 10 Apr 2012, 18:29

headhonchoII wrote:I would go with a mix of stocks and natural gas linked ETF. For stocks I would pick Chesapeake and then a few smaller and riskier natural gas developers, if they don't go bankrupt during this period, should explode in evaluation. You could also look at the operators of LPG terminals that have a license or who are applying for an export license.

Here is a good article on the subject- http://seekingalpha.com/article/446711- ... my-answers

Like Chesapeak under $15, but not at $21.50. Will wait for pullback.
Here's a great set of videos from Rick Santelli about nat.gas converted engines.Natgas Can Fuel Your Truck/Car Right Now.

http://www.gotgoldreport.com/2012/04/sa ... +Report%29
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 19 Apr 2012, 12:39

SillyWilly wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:
Like Chesapeak under $15, but not at $21.50. Will wait for pullback.
Here's a great set of videos from Rick Santelli about nat.gas converted engines.Natgas Can Fuel Your Truck/Car Right Now.

Correction. I like Chesapeake under $10 since the CEO is using the company as his personal piggy bank for $1.1 billion of loans and they're selling some assets to raise cash because of this.
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 19 Apr 2012, 12:44

I saw that, it dropped something like 9% yesterday due to the scandal. The CEO has always been a bit of a buccaneer and he has some type of special founder voting rights, but then again it is that type of industry. I have to open a US trading account before I can start to invest in the sector.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 11 Jul 2013, 13:53

My rating system is simple.
Party Pick!
Sleep Pick!
Shit Pick!

1. Natural gas stocks in the US

Sleep to Party Pick!
The price of natural gas has increased significantly from it's 10 year low, major players like Chesapeake are up 30% but some funds are still about the same as last year. New pipeline and terminals approved for exports. Should do well long-term.

2. Vietnam

Party Pick!

Vietnams stock market up 26% this year alone, Asia's best performing and big inflows of foreign capital. Vietnam for me still has lots of potential as China becomes more expensive.
http://vietnomics.wordpress.com/categor ... ck-market/

3. Microsoft

Shit Pick!

Windows Phone hasn't gone anywhere, Windows 8 hasn't gone anywhere. This one may still pick up if only because there should be some type of temp rebound in PC restocking aoon and Windows 8.1 has fixed some of the issues they had with 8.

4. Philippines

Party Pick!
Economy has still been doing well, property up, stocks pretty much even for 2013. Could be in for some interesting times.

India meanwhiles has had severe currency devaluation and a current account deficit. I personally think this is now an excellent time to invest big in India. You might have to wait for a few years for the dust to settle and things to work out though.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Nov 2013, 17:32

It's funny nobody picked up on the biggest winner of them all.... Bitcoin. People have made millions from just 5,000 coins a few years ago! Of course if I was them I'd cash in my winning right about now.

Anybody got any further ideas out there?

I see Tesla and electric cars going for a bumpy ride up and down but up overall.

These 3D printing stocks have already shot up otherwise they'd be a good target. Companies that have specific niches in that like 3D ceramic printing would be a good bet (from my own recent research in ceramics).
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Postby BrentGolf » 01 Dec 2013, 00:13

You can't mention Bit Coin and investment in the same sentence :lol:
Introducing the Umbrella Fund. I aspire to provide an exciting alternative to traditional portfolio management.

http://www.TheIronCondor.com

Looking for Golf lessons in Taiwan?

Look no further, I'm your guy. I have over 20 years of tournament experience and look forward to the opportunity to help you improve your golf game. For more details, check out my website:

http://www.BrentGolf.com

http://www.about.me/BrentOsachoff
BrentGolf
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

108 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 01 Dec 2013, 00:45

Companies developing and enhancing battery power/longetivity for phones and other devices. Can anyone do some name-dropping in that area?

There's a new robotics index fund: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-576 ... on-nasdaq/ I think this one's right on the money.
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

83 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Money