Gold, Silver, Guns, and the future of the US Dollar

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: What do you think are good investment targets for next few years?

Postby Shaktipalooza » 02 Apr 2012, 18:35

gold, silver, guns
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Apr 2012, 19:09

Ah the world is going to end brigade rear their head again :).
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1718 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Gold, Silver, Guns, and the future of the US Dollar

Postby Shaktipalooza » 02 Apr 2012, 19:13

headhonchoII wrote:Ah the world is going to end brigade rear their head again :).

guilty as charged. Though I don't think it's going to end, just be fundamentally changed.
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby SillyWilly » 02 Apr 2012, 19:15

Shaktipalooza wrote:gold, silver, guns

Like the "gold,silver" bit, but don't think guns will be necessary in Taiwan. However, if anyone is planning on moving back home to the States, BUY!, BUY!, BUY!. Even those in the know advise the general population to stock up on guns and ammo.

As for me, I'm staying in Asia, come hell or high water. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 02 Apr 2012, 19:57

SillyWilly wrote:
Shaktipalooza wrote:gold, silver, guns

Like the "gold,silver" bit, but don't think guns will be necessary in Taiwan. However, if anyone is planning on moving back home to the States, BUY!, BUY!, BUY!. Even those in the know advise the general population to stock up on guns and ammo.

As for me, I'm staying in Asia, come hell or high water. :thumbsup:

Good point. I still have family in the US so our gun stocks (there) are ample.

One thing I think is still going to be a lousy investment is housing. There are probably some good lower income rental housing opportunities out there but you have to be pretty savvy about the local market.
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 02 Apr 2012, 22:05

Shaktipalooza wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Ah the world is going to end brigade rear their head again :).

guilty as charged. Though I don't think it's going to end, just be fundamentally changed.

If you're expecting armageddon, I doubt anybody will be interested in trading gold and silver. After armageddon, maybe. Not during.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 02 Apr 2012, 23:59

finley wrote:
Shaktipalooza wrote:

If you're expecting armageddon, I doubt anybody will be interested in trading gold and silver. After armageddon, maybe. Not during.

Not expecting armageddon, just a day when the dollar ceases to be the reserve currency of the world. This is all conversation for another thread.
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Phillips » 03 Apr 2012, 00:29

Shaktipalooza wrote:
finley wrote:
Shaktipalooza wrote:

Not expecting armageddon, just a day when the dollar ceases to be the reserve currency of the world. This is all conversation for another thread.

Yes, it belongs in another thread. I look forward to the day we can have a discussion about investing without someone coming in wearing a sandwich board saying 'buy gold, the end is nigh'. If doomsday comes, what are you going to do, eat your gold? ... buy a kilo of rice with an ounce of gold? Where are you keeping your gold, under the bed? Is your gold in a safe place? Does the hoarding of gold contribute in any way to economic growth and progress?

And if the US dollar ceases to be the reserve currency of the world, what would be the significance of that exactly, in terms of investment opportunities?
"Why do you want gas? It's hot. You can have cold showers" ~gas delivery man height of summer, 2010.

"Why you wear so many clothes? You are foreigner. Foreign countries are cold." buxiban owner, depth of winter 2011.
Forumosan avatar
Charlie Phillips
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

83 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 23 Mar 2003

Postby SillyWilly » 03 Apr 2012, 07:58

Charlie Phillips wrote:
Shaktipalooza wrote:
finley wrote:
Shaktipalooza wrote:

Yes, it belongs in another thread. I look forward to the day we can have a discussion about investing without someone coming in wearing a sandwich board saying 'buy gold, the end is nigh'. If doomsday comes, what are you going to do, eat your gold? ... buy a kilo of rice with an ounce of gold? Where are you keeping your gold, under the bed? Is your gold in a safe place? Does the hoarding of gold contribute in any way to economic growth and progress?

And if the US dollar ceases to be the reserve currency of the world, what would be the significance of that exactly, in terms of investment opportunities?

WAY TO GO! Showing your complete ignorance concerning monetary economics and the financial system. The significance of the USD ceasing to be the reserve currency of the world....the States turn into a Third World nation, like Brazil.
BTW, no one said the end is near, but a serious reboot is coming of the fin.system and gold is insurance against the dumb mothers printing all the money in the system, BECAUSE ITS SUPPLY CAN'T BE INCREASED BY THE PRESS OF A BUTTON. :lol:
Forumosan avatar
SillyWilly

1 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Kea » 03 Apr 2012, 08:39

Mods, could you please spilt off the USD stuff into a new thread about the possible USD crash. I don't deny US weaknesses (but know that they'll first try to print their way out of any debt),

.....but the thread started off well with posts about investment targets in the next few years.

Cheers
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Money