FATCA and the Taiwan post office

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

FATCA and the Taiwan post office

Postby Zla'od » 12 May 2012, 07:51

Apparently banks throughout the world are being pressured, under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, to report the accounts of U.S. citizens to the IRS, and in certain cases, withhold monies from them. I am curious as to how this will apply to Taiwan's post office, which provides low-level banking services. Does anybody know?
Narrated Umar ibn al-Khattab
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade withdrawing the penis from a free woman unless she gives permission. Ibn Majah transmitted it. (Tirmidhi Hadith, Number 950)
Zla'od
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
65 Recognized(s)

Re: FATCA and the Taiwan post office

Postby JeffG » 05 Jan 2013, 22:03

That's a great question that I would love to have an answer to also.

In the meantime there is a petition just created here: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/change-us-tax-law-citizenship-based-law-residence-based-law/b6v4xfpV to try to get the goverment to tax via residence based rather than citizen based. Please spread this as they have to get 25,000 signatures to even hope for a response from the government.

ATTN: American Citizens living in Taiwan, please support American Citizens Abroad - ACA http://www.americansabroad.org/

Americans living in Taiwan CALL your senators and representatives and ask them to repeal FATCA and support residency based taxation (RBT) for Americans living abroad! Writing a letter is useless! FATCA to be implemented on July 1, 2014, if you want to move money around, do it now!

The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
C.S. Lewis
Forumosan avatar
JeffG
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)
I'm posting like Shakespeare (1564~1616)

10 Recognized(s)

Return to Money