Is NT$10,000 enough for a month in Taipei (excluding accomodation)?

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: Is NT$10,000 enough for a month in Taipei (excluding accomodation)?

Postby superking » 01 Aug 2012, 04:55

No, it is not enough. You can't live on 200 quid for a month unless you are very careful, but with the extra set up costs.... SOMEONE must be able to lend you another 200 quid, surely.

Beg.
Steal.
Borrow.

But not in that order.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

87 Recommends(s)
322 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 01 Aug 2012, 09:37

tainoy wrote:oh no, sounds really alarming. This is the first time I'm staying overseas for more than two weeks so I wasn't expecting all the other expenses mentioned. And it's surprising to hear others saying that schools can get a bit shady with scholarships. Not something you'd expect from a national university in a country like Taiwan.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I do have the option to borrow money from my family and I also have monthly earnings as a freelancer (not that big but definitely helps). I'm glad I asked here as it gave me an idea on what expenses to expect for my first month there. It wasn't too long ago since I left school but I suddenly forgot what students need to prepare, lol

It is not the schools are shady, but burocratic procedures can be a bit of a hassle. There are students on scholarships from te Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the ICDF guys, etc. It gets complicated, all with different privileges/amounts. So the schools can get tangled up. And they are delaing with government agencies that get even worse.

Bring basics and assume 2 months without money here. Do not ely on calling home as first of all, they would need to send the money through a bank account and that implies a 3 day delay, which can be 3 very hungry days.

As to the NHI, it is MANDATORY. You have to pay it as soon as you have your ARC. If you have an ARC, you pay NHI. As a matter of fact, I think it is added to your school fees. And you will need it, trust me on this.

Books are expensive, about a 1000 each, if you are taking full load, that's six courses... do the Math.

We can live on 10K because we speak Chinese and know by trial and error what works in terms of food. But for a newbie, having to go through the trial and error phase is a bit expensive. Been there, done that. I was also a student, though some time ago. Trust your pals but do not rely on them too much. They have their lives made here, and will probably have little time to show you the ropes, not to mention there is always a $#@*% who likes to have fun with the new arivals. So far, people on this board have been quite straight and honest, their advice sound. You can trust these bunch of oldies. :lol:

Don't forget your credit card. :D
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

628 Recommends(s)
501 Recognized(s)

Postby tainoy » 01 Aug 2012, 11:15

I'm not sure why we were told we won't be able to get NHI until next year. Actually, that's the reason we're asked to buy insurance in our country. That's an official statement from the university and not from my pals. My pals didn't have the same requirements so I just thought it's a new regulation.
tainoy
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 01 Aug 2012, 12:45

Icon wrote:It is not the schools are shady, but burocratic procedures can be a bit of a hassle. There are students on scholarships from te Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the ICDF guys, etc. It gets complicated, all with different privileges/amounts. So the schools can get tangled up. And they are delaing with government agencies that get even worse.

I think you're right. I had mistaken incompetence (not just with scholarships) with being shady.

tainoy wrote:I'm not sure why we were told we won't be able to get NHI until next year. Actually, that's the reason we're asked to buy insurance in our country. That's an official statement from the university and not from my pals. My pals didn't have the same requirements so I just thought it's a new regulation.

This is the kind of thing that I would call shady - someone at the school tells you one thing while reality is something else. I had this problem a lot when I was a student here. Icon is right, I think. Perhaps someone at your school doesn't know this or perhaps they just don't want to do it. I would figure this out, as well.
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 01 Aug 2012, 13:28

archylgp wrote:
tainoy wrote:I'm not sure why we were told we won't be able to get NHI until next year. Actually, that's the reason we're asked to buy insurance in our country. That's an official statement from the university and not from my pals. My pals didn't have the same requirements so I just thought it's a new regulation.

This is the kind of thing that I would call shady - someone at the school tells you one thing while reality is something else. I had this problem a lot when I was a student here. Icon is right, I think. Perhaps someone at your school doesn't know this or perhaps they just don't want to do it. I would figure this out, as well.

I thought there was a rule that you had to be a student for 4 months before they would give you an ARC. So technically you couldn't get insurance until next year. this is an example of the bureaucratic mess that is being talked about.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

117 Recommends(s)
121 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 01 Aug 2012, 13:43

Abacus wrote:
archylgp wrote:

I thought there was a rule that you had to be a student for 4 months before they would give you an ARC. So technically you couldn't get insurance until next year. this is an example of the bureaucratic mess that is being talked about.

I understood next year as meaning next academic year. If next year is winter semester 2013, that makes sense....

Although it's not related, but some examples of what I would call shady/incompetent: I've had a professor not submit grades for me because I skipped a bunch of classes (did the work that was required, though). I never got credit for that class and couldn't get my money back either. Another time I registered for a class at another university. The office guy in my department didn't process the paperwork I filled out for him even though I paid. I eventually got that fixed but that office guy lectured me on registering for classes late. Anyways, it seems the insurance issue is a product bureaucratic regulations, though...
archylgp

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 01 Aug 2012, 14:12

Plus the school will ask you for an extra insurance for accidents within school grounds or on your way to school. Make sure both boxes are covered.

Yes, seems logical they say that if you get your ARC after the fourth month -that would be January 2013, more or less- then technically speaking you start paying next year. Makes sense like that.

As to Archylgp's warning, take it to heart: the Law of Murphy will get to you one way or another, be ready for "logical" things not to be so logical -logic is a cultural constraint!- and FUBAR incidents will happen out of the simplest situations. So make sure you're ready.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

628 Recommends(s)
501 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 01 Aug 2012, 21:21

You can live for NT$10,000 for a month if you're very careful and frugal. You'll live rather meagerly for a month, but it can be done. That assumes you've already paid for school, school supplies, books, and accommodation.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 01 Aug 2012, 21:38

My sister came here with NT4000, or even less. Slept in a breakfast store, ate 7-11 tea eggs. You'll survive.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

26 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 02 Aug 2012, 14:57

I'd say 500NTD/day - a total of 15,000 for a month - would be reasonable. Anything less than that and you are taking a risk. That may seem OK from the comfort zone of where you are now, but it won't feel very nice when you get here. Plus, you need to have some reserves in case of a medical emergency. Can't you cobble together 1000 USD? If you can't, then maybe you are not planning very realistically.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

107 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Money