Paypal / Taiwan Bank Account question

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Postby gazza » 14 Jun 2004, 23:59

Braxton,
The only thing that changed this year was that Paypal allowed you to add a Taiwan bank account for withdrawal purposes. There is still no way of getting money in short of receiving it from someone else or using a registered credit/debit card.

Yes, I added a newly opened account with Hwa Nan bank. I have received two withdrawals from Paypal already so it does work. Check that your account is registered in your English name and with your current ARC number or else the withdrawal to account might be rejected.

amishrock,
The solution is: a Taiwan Visa Debit card - available from Chinatrust, TaiShin and some other banks (Taiwan ID card holders only accepted - no credit check should be made). Money goes out of your bank account thru the Visa Debit and into Paypal Taiwan account. Non-Taiwanese have to use a Taiwan credit card to do the same since we can't get a Visa Debit.
Forumosan avatar
gazza
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recognized(s)

thanks gazza

Postby amishrock » 15 Jun 2004, 09:36

I keep repeating it but still it needs to be said...thanks y'all.

Gazza given that I'm not taiwanese (my parents are, but I'm US born and raised) I don't think the visa debit card option will work. thanks though. so a taiwan credit card can transfer money to a taiwan paypal account? I think I might go through that avenue, now i only have to find out what it will take to get a taiwanese credit card as it seems from skimming other posts that it takes a lot of effort for a non-taiwanese to get a credit card there.
amishrock
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Ben » 16 Jun 2004, 10:42

gazza wrote:The only thing that changed this year was that Paypal allowed you to add a Taiwan bank account for withdrawal purposes. There is still no way of getting money in short of receiving it from someone else or using a registered credit/debit card.

Per my previous post, you can add a US account to a Taiwan Paypal account, and you can transfer funds back and forth between your Taiwan account and US account. So, in essence, you can use it to get money from the US. The only catch is that the exchange rate is really bad.
Forumosan avatar
Ben
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby Filthywaffle » 17 Jun 2004, 19:12

Gazza, how are you pulling this off?

My experience has been that Paypal won't let me fund my account with my verified Taiwan credit card. It will only allow me to fund it from a US bank account. Basically, I have not been able to get any money from Taiwan to a US account through Paypal.
Filthywaffle

Postby answerer » 23 Jun 2004, 22:34

One way to do away with all of this is to buy US dollar Traveller's Cheques with your NT, make them out to yourself, and mail them in as deposits to your US bank (I've done this a few times). Saves on headache, international mail is pretty reliable, and since it's Traveller's Cheques, you can report them missing if they really don't arrive.
answerer

Re: Paypal / Taiwan Bank Account question

Postby Confused » 12 Nov 2010, 00:12

I have a tw paypal account.. but havent been linked to my bank account or visa debit card.. because it always get rejected by paypal..
so I want to ask some question to make it clear :
1)my name on my taiwan paypal account is written in chinese, and I want to open a new bank account.. but i dunno which name that I need to fill in for registering a visa debit card? my chinese name or english name?
2)what about the address? in chinese or english?
3)can chinatrust visa debit card work for online purchase or paypal?
4)im an indonesian that study in Taiwan. my name in my passport is just A*****. I don't have any last name. what do i fill then? just "adrian"? or do I need to put a "chen" as my last name.. because my last name in chinese is "chen"
please help me.. im a newbie in this case! thanks.
Confused

Postby mike029 » 10 Apr 2012, 22:36

Bumping this thread.

Does anyone have any recent experience using TW Paypal? I would like to cut down on some (alot, actually...) bank expenses, and if I can just transfer money using Paypal that would be a dream come true. I could just direct all the NTD at the Paypal NT account instead of the bank and avoid the NT->HKD->NT then remit headache I currently have to go through...not to mention Paypal is not bitchy about accepting TW debit cards unlike other gateways that verify the name, which of course is not on our cards here.

Is it possible to link a TW Paypal account to a domestic bank? I could potentially convince the Taiwanese I have to pay to use Paypal by telling them it's 'easier to buy things from abroad' or something but I need to be sure first it will work before I attempt to go down that road...
mike029
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby threesheets » 07 Mar 2013, 22:08

Mike029, did you have any luck getting the paypal route to work? I'm also hoping to give this method a shot.
threesheets

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Money