Changing Korean won in Taiwan?

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Changing Korean won in Taiwan?

Postby catch22 » 10 Mar 2007, 12:13

I'm pretty sure this won't be a problem, but I'd like to ask just to be sure... Taiwanese banks will exchange Korean won right? And the rate will be better than if I convert in Korea? I just don't want to arrive in Taiwan with a wad of bills I can't do anything with. Thanks.
catch22
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby jlick » 10 Mar 2007, 13:17

Should be no problem. Can't say if the rate will be better but the buy/sell spread here is usually around 1%.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Re: Changing Korean won in Taiwan?

Postby globalgourmand » 05 Aug 2012, 11:41

Allow me to bump this in hopes of getting an updated second opinion? I'm moving from Korea and will have all my money with me. Like the OP, I don't want to get to Taiwan and have a bunch of cash I can't use.

I was thinking of converting a small chunk at the airport IN Taiwan and the rest later at a bank in hopes of getting a better rate. I don't think I'd get a better rate exchanging here in Korea, correct?
globalgourmand
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

14 Recommends(s)

Re: Changing Korean won in Taiwan?

Postby Chris » 05 Aug 2012, 12:26

You can change Korean Won here in Taiwan. Mega Bank certainly does. And you'll surely get a better rate in Taiwan.

Almost any time NT dollars are involved, it's better to do the exchange in Taiwan. Overseas banks in most places like to tack huge fees onto NT dollars.

As for the banks in the airport, I'd imagine they do exchange Won, but I can't say for certain. You may want to convert enough Won to NT$ in Korea to tide you over for a few days, or if the exchange rate is abysmal (like a 30% loss, which I've sometimes seen with overseas NT$ exchanges), just convert them to US$ and then change the US$ to NT$ at the airport bank in Taiwan.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

88 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Money