Describing your level of fluency on a resume

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Describing your level of fluency on a resume

Postby beautifulspam » 25 Jul 2008, 09:50

I'm sure this is a problem many of us have come up against after returning to where we came from.

We have achieved a certain level of fluency in Chinese. We are not native or near-native speakers, but we easily engage in fairly complex conversations and may even be able to read novels, but very slowly and with a dictionary.

When you're applying for jobs, how do you describe your level of Chinese? Many Americans don't really understand foreign language acquisition and tend to see things in black and white terms. If you say you are "fluent" they think you speak like a native. If you say you are "conversational" they will assume that you can just barely order rice at the corner store.

Actually, this isn't a uniquely American problem. One of the forms used by NTNU forces you to describe your Chinese proficiency as either "none," "beginner," or "fluent." Shades of grey, please?

So what's a good, honest way to describe intermediate fluency without exaggerating or selling yourself short?
I am your mom and I just took you to school in the car of pain.

Prepare for the fury of three thousand tiny, lightning-fast punches.
Forumosan avatar
beautifulspam
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TNT » 25 Jul 2008, 10:32

If its sufficient to win an argument then your language ability is good
Nuair a bhíonn an fíon istigh,
bíonn an ciall amuigh
TNT
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Re: Describing your level of fluency on a resume

Postby Mother Theresa » 25 Jul 2008, 11:12

beautifulspam wrote:So what's a good, honest way to describe intermediate fluency without exaggerating or selling yourself short?

Why not "Intermediate"?

Actually, I just applied for a position yesterday as "Deputy General Counsel, Greater China" for a large US company. The pay is outstanding, but they require "Excellent Mandarin skills," which I definitely lack. After 9 years here and several aborted efforts at schooling, I'm merely able to order breakfast, direct the taxi driver, respond that "yes, I do like the fruit in Taiwan," and engage in extremely limited conversation about the weather, my child, and a few other subjects. Nonetheless this opportunity was too good to pass up so I applied anyway and confessed that my Mandarin skills are "basic conversational." In truth that might be a stretch, or maybe not, I don't know. Say whatever seems right. If they're really interested in you and Mandarin abilities are an important part of the job, they should test you orally anyway.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 25 Jul 2008, 11:22

I always say "rudimentary spoken".
Kind of leaves the back door open.
Oh, and MT?
Those guys called me for a reference on you.
I told them you were full of shit.
Sorry, pal.
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 25 Jul 2008, 11:23

the chief wrote:I always say "rudimentary spoken".
Kind of leaves the back door open.
Oh, and MT?
Those guys called me for a reference on you.
I told them you were full of shit.
Sorry, pal.

Always a good idea to keep the back door open why applying for a job.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby alidarbac » 25 Jul 2008, 11:31

If only someone could invent some sort of test that could evaluate your level of fluency...

I think I would call it something like the Chinese Proficiency Test or maybe 漢語水平考試 in Chinese.
Forumosan avatar
alidarbac
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

4 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 25 Jul 2008, 11:35

irishstu wrote:Always a good idea to keep the back door open when applying for a job.

Sorry iris, I don't go for that casting couch stuff when it comes to jobs. Some of us still have standards.
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 25 Jul 2008, 11:41

Mother Theresa wrote:
irishstu wrote:Always a good idea to keep the back door open when applying for a job.

Sorry iris, I don't go for that casting couch stuff when it comes to jobs. Some of us still have standards.

Yes, that was the joke. Congratulations.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 25 Jul 2008, 11:48

irishstu wrote:
Mother Theresa wrote:

Does that mean I get the job?
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 25 Jul 2008, 11:53

Mother Theresa wrote:
irishstu wrote:
Mother Theresa wrote:

Does that mean I get the job?

No. You didn't keep your back door open.

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Money