Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Taiwan Government change regulation of manager's work pemit

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: Taiwan Government change regulation of manager's work pemit

Postby Lord Lucan » 29 Mar 2010, 23:01

Mr He wrote:Would your residency be an issue?

If so, become a chief rep of Richard Bingham escape artists Ltd.

Yes, something like that: "Aristos Abroad"; "Lords on the Lam"....
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Mar 2010, 16:43

Lord Lucan wrote:
I'm not sure where I stand on this because there is a difficult balance between making sure that companies are not set up as an easy vehicle for visas and encouraging investment from the small companies that keep Taiwan going.

Honestly, I think the figures are about right.

I think the first year revenue requirement may be a little high but then bear in mind that to get US residency based on investment you will need to put up at least US$1m in most states.

It's a harsh thing to say but if you are not bringing in at least $3m turnover per year then you almost certainly cannot afford to employ anyone, you are not paying much in taxes and are not sending a lot of business to local suppliers. Therefore you are not a very attractive prospect from an economic perspective. If you don't have access to $500,000 capital then what kind of business are you going to set up that is worth Taiwan offering you a resident visa?

The Investment Commission will let you set the company up though, even with NT$200k in capital. Then you can't get a work permit, raising the question "why did you let me set the thing up in the first place?"

Also, a one-man management consultant can make many millions of NT$ a year with no more than an office, a laptop, a fax machine, and a mobile phone. The partnership I was in in Shanghai made millions of RMB with exactly that set-up. We had to put in RMB100k and had no idea what to do with it. I did buy a really nice office chair though.

My office in Taipei which I can't use cost NT$60k to set up. I'm going to spend the other NT$140k on beer. It is going to be very silly if I'm going to have to start again with half a million, especially now that I've already set the whole thing up!!!

You only have to show the capital in bank account on day of registration, not keep it or even spend it (as per my experience).
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1618 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 30 Mar 2010, 16:44

I was running a company on a student visa. You are allowed run your own company even without a work permit, but you need some way to have residence in the country of course.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1618 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 31 Mar 2010, 16:08

headhonchoII wrote:I was running a company on a student visa. You are allowed run your own company even without a work permit, but you need some way to have residence in the country of course.

Please be careful - if we are talking about the letter of the law then you are not legally allowed to do any work (even for your own company or as a volunteer) without the correct permission. Of course if you have an internet company or web design business on the side then nobody is going to know or care. However if you start getting bigger or do anything with a visible presence then it's vital to get the correct documentation.

I am not trying to make a big deal out of this but I have seen a disgusting number of instances in the past few months where foreigners have shopped other foreigners for minor infractions of labor law out of jealousy, annoyance or just plain malace. So if you are going to run a business on the side then just be aware of your legal position and be a little careful.
llary
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

29 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 31 Mar 2010, 16:18

Lord Lucan wrote:The Investment Commission will let you set the company up though, even with NT$200k in capital. Then you can't get a work permit, raising the question "why did you let me set the thing up in the first place?"

I own a US company but don't need to live or work there because someone else runs it for me. In Taiwan I know quite a few people with a similar arrangement where they come here for maybe 2 months a year and have a management staff who do all the day-to-day work.

Also, a one-man management consultant can make many millions of NT$ a year with no more than an office, a laptop, a fax machine, and a mobile phone. The partnership I was in in Shanghai made millions of RMB with exactly that set-up. We had to put in RMB100k and had no idea what to do with it. I did buy a really nice office chair though.

I am just playing devil's advocate here but the industrial development arm of MOEA is mainly interested in larger companies who are going to be employing local staff and making exports. Therefore I don't think there is any incentive for them to change the current system to benefit lone consultants. However there are still plenty of creative ways to do something like this with little expense using either a branch office or rep. office format. I'm disappointed that most CPAs are still not advising their clients about these very attractive options.
llary

29 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 31 Mar 2010, 16:58

Actually when I ran my web services company I believe I was legal to do this as I was the director and therefore entitled to run the operation and its investments. It is a bit of a grey area I guess. I am married now so have no such issue.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1618 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 31 Mar 2010, 16:59

I also agree branch or rep office is the way to go for small scale operation.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1618 Recommends(s)
593 Recognized(s)

Postby Lord Lucan » 31 Mar 2010, 20:15

I like the Taiwanese government logic. Presumably I have already broken the law by furnishing my office and talking business with potential clients. God help me if I were to issue a Fa Piao!

Anyway, cheers for the thoughts and I'll see what happens next week...
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby ichbinjenny » 04 Apr 2010, 19:39

headhonchoII wrote:I also agree branch or rep office is the way to go for small scale operation.

Correct me if I am wrong (please!), but branch/rep manager work permits do not apply towards the 5 years' employment required for permanent residency and the open work permit. Am I wrong?
*Wilsen Publishing*
Importer of fine stationery (greeting cards, birthday cards, journals, notebooks, calendars) from the US and Canada
Publisher of EFL and Chinese-language learning books
http://www.wilsenpublishing.com | 04-2301-3662
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby llary » 05 Apr 2010, 18:05

ichbinjenny wrote:Correct me if I am wrong (please!), but branch/rep manager work permits do not apply towards the 5 years' employment required for permanent residency and the open work permit. Am I wrong?

Wrong, only a student ARC would not count for permanent residency or citizenship.
llary

29 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Money