Penny Pinching

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Penny Pinching

Postby Opihiman » 18 Mar 2010, 16:33

Being frugal can be fun. Some of us get a measure of satisfaction in getting the best value for money with even the smallest purchases. Here are a couple of recent examples from my home:

Oatmeal
I'm an oatmeal eater, and have been a regular buyer of Quaker Oats' jumbo box of whole oats sold by Costco. These oats are cheaper (by weight) than any other packaged whole oats we had found at any store ... until last week. We have a neighborhood wholesaler that sells flour, grains, nuts, and all types of cooking/baking ingredients. The shopkeeper buys big 50lb (?) burlap sacks of goods and then pieces them out as customers buy. I just discovered he offers whole oats for NT$25/jin, which comes to about 50% cheaper than the Costco product. So it is half price, and one can buy as little or as much as they like. Great deal.

Milk
Make your own soybean milk - it is not rocket science and a hell of a lot cheaper than store-bought milk. A couple days ago my better half soaked, boiled, pulverized, and then cooked/sweetened to taste about NT$40 worth of soybeans. That yielded us about 1.5 gallons of soybean milk (depending on how thick one likes it), and enough beans left over to make a bean salad for several servings. To do this you obviously need to have some time on your hands, and enjoy working in the kitchen. We put a premium on knowing what is in the beverage we're drinking, so love the homemade hands down.
Opihiman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Penny Pinching

Postby jimipresley » 18 Mar 2010, 16:55

I used to buy my Johnny Walker whisky at 7-11 for 490$/700ml. I now buy the 2 liter ones at Carrefour for 950$. :discodance:
A bit of a false economy, though. They last the same length of time. :(
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

888 Recommends(s)
326 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 18 Mar 2010, 17:14

Opihiman wrote:Milk
Make your own soybean milk - it is not rocket science and a hell of a lot cheaper than store-bought milk. A couple days ago my better half soaked, boiled, pulverized, and then cooked/sweetened to taste about NT$40 worth of soybeans. That yielded us about 1.5 gallons of soybean milk (depending on how thick one likes it), and enough beans left over to make a bean salad for several servings. To do this you obviously need to have some time on your hands, and enjoy working in the kitchen. We put a premium on knowing what is in the beverage we're drinking, so love the homemade hands down.

Yeah, but soy milk tastes awful on my Cheerios...
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
168 Recognized(s)

Postby Opihiman » 18 Mar 2010, 17:44

Chris wrote:Yeah, but soy milk tastes awful on my Cheerios...

Cheerios? Taste? Guess we all have our own tastes.
Opihiman

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 18 Mar 2010, 17:50

When I wipe my arse I re-fold the paper after using it and place it back in the packet. By the time you need to use it again, its nice and dry.
The savings are incalculable.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
196 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 18 Mar 2010, 17:51

Soywhatforathing? That just sounded like blasphemy to me...

The again, I make my own yoghurt which works out a lot cheaper than buying large containers of the stuff (which is barely available here) and I also make my own bread.

But there's a limit... :cool:
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 18 Mar 2010, 17:53

Living within ones means is a challenging and rewarding game.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 18 Mar 2010, 21:06

Always carry an array of change. Use those pennies up. It's easier on the merchants, besides........ :scooby:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

3 Recommends(s)
187 Recognized(s)

Postby KenTaiwan98 » 20 Mar 2010, 02:13

Chris wrote:Yeah, but soy milk tastes awful on my Cheerios...

Wouldn't the Johnny Walker taste better? ... Hair of the dog'n'all...
In exile now... not returning to Forumosa.
KenTaiwan98
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

1 Recommends(s)

Postby bobbyanalog » 13 Apr 2010, 18:39

There are ways to be frugal, but some of this sounds a bit ridiculous like my backpacking days in Thailand...I think when you say "penny" pinching you're really telling the truth...the soy milk thing sounds good if you like doing it and you like soy milk, the money saved I think is just an added bonus though and rather insignificant...in MY opinion, what works best for ME, is to be frugal but only to a certain point, once my expenses are reasonable I find it easier, better and more rewarding to find ways to supplement my income...cause for those who don't enjoy making milk, it would just be another work-like task, and most foreigners in Taiwan could make what you save in the first 10 minutes of an English class...but again, totally undertsandable if you get other enjoyment from making milk...I think there's nothing more satisfying than eating fish I've caught although time to cost it's much cheaper at a market
Forumosan avatar
bobbyanalog
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Next

x

Return to Money