Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Penny Pinching

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: Penny Pinching

Postby Deuce Dropper » 13 Apr 2010, 18:42

I'll opt for a wank instead of a trip to the jiudian.
User avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 16:09
Location: 北市



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby merge » 13 Apr 2010, 18:45

Deuce Dropper wrote:I'll opt for a wank instead of a trip to the jiudian.


Words to live by - some of the best advice ever given here :bow:
Your pal.
merge
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
 
Posts: 950
Joined: 11 May 2004, 09:12
Location: Smack dab in the middle



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby Opihiman » 13 Apr 2010, 21:40

Criticisms here re: my original post are well taken. In retrospect the topic of this thread shouldn't have been penny pinching per se. It is about how a healthier diet, and planet, can be cheaper, up front, for the consumer, once they've climbed a short learning curve. Anyway, I clearly haven't done the subject justice.

In our home we've been making effort to make healthy changes to our eating habits, and one thing that has been a revelation is how much consumers pay for processing of foods - when the processing almost always depletes the nutritional value of one's diet. So for instance, a bowl of oatmeal in the morning, with some sugar, cinnamon, and walnuts, really improves ones start to the day. And it is a comparatively cheap breakfast. Soy also goes some way in meeting protein requirements, and one can buy the beans directly while avoiding the processing and related cost. A good rule of thumb: the more processing that is done in the home, directly by the consumer, the healthier the meal, generally speaking.

A lot of people say they don't have time or interest to invest so much attention and time into what they eat. That is fine. I was like that in my younger years - to each his own.
Opihiman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 214
{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 01:04



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby sandman » 13 Apr 2010, 21:44

merge wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:I'll opt for a wank instead of a trip to the jiudian.


Words to live by - some of the best advice ever given here :bow:

Plus, my toilet paper tip works just as well for front-bottom effluvia. Waste not want not! :thumbsup:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)
 
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby rice_t » 13 Apr 2010, 23:11

Opihiman wrote: Soy also goes some way in meeting protein requirements, and one can buy the beans directly while avoiding the processing and related cost. A good rule of thumb: the more processing that is done in the home, directly by the consumer, the healthier the meal, generally speaking.

A lot of people say they don't have time or interest to invest so much attention and time into what they eat. That is fine. I was like that in my younger years - to each his own.


Do you genetically modify the soy beans yourself or do you have people doing that for you?
Impeach Jason Hu!
User avatar
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
 
Posts: 752
Joined: 15 Apr 2004, 19:19
Location: Tunghai Villa Resort



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby jimipresley » 13 Apr 2010, 23:15

When I feel the need for a balanced diet, I make my own pineapple beer. Make 50 litres at a time and bottle it. It's rather time-consuming, but at least I know I'm getting my vitamins. Also, it's the only thing that I can mix with Bourbon to make the Bourbon taste mildly palatable. And pineapple beer is much cheaper than bottled water.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
User avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10914
Joined: 06 Dec 2004, 18:23
Location: The Abyss. Awaiting YOUR company.
In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby Elegua » 13 Apr 2010, 23:33

I keep my pennies in a sock. That way if anyone tries to pinch my pennies I can exact my price.
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
User avatar
Elegua
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
 
Posts: 5631
Joined: 25 Jun 2004, 12:51
Location: The Country that dare not speak it's name



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby Deuce Dropper » 14 Apr 2010, 00:44

jimipresley wrote:When I feel the need for a balanced diet, I make my own pineapple beer. Make 50 litres at a time and bottle it. It's rather time-consuming, but at least I know I'm getting my vitamins. Also, it's the only thing that I can mix with Bourbon to make the Bourbon taste mildly palatable. And pineapple beer is much cheaper than bottled water.


please post a recipe.

thanks
User avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 16:09
Location: 北市



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby jimipresley » 14 Apr 2010, 01:08

Deuce Dropper wrote:
jimipresley wrote:When I feel the need for a balanced diet, I make my own pineapple beer. Make 50 litres at a time and bottle it. It's rather time-consuming, but at least I know I'm getting my vitamins. Also, it's the only thing that I can mix with Bourbon to make the Bourbon taste mildly palatable. And pineapple beer is much cheaper than bottled water.


please post a recipe.

thanks

http://www.hulettssugar.co.za/Recipe-Pi ... -Beer.html

Adjust the quantities according to the volume required. Leave it to ferment for 4 days instead of one (for increased alcohol content). Bottle for two days with a whole raisin. When the raisin hits the top, open and serve or the bottle will explode. Plastic won't work. Must be glass, or the expansion won't allow for carbonization. Better to stagger the bottling to get a more potent, but less tasty brew later.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
User avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 10914
Joined: 06 Dec 2004, 18:23
Location: The Abyss. Awaiting YOUR company.
In Taiwan since: 07 Apr 2001



Re: Penny Pinching

Postby Deuce Dropper » 14 Apr 2010, 01:10

jimipresley wrote:
Deuce Dropper wrote:
jimipresley wrote:When I feel the need for a balanced diet, I make my own pineapple beer. Make 50 litres at a time and bottle it. It's rather time-consuming, but at least I know I'm getting my vitamins. Also, it's the only thing that I can mix with Bourbon to make the Bourbon taste mildly palatable. And pineapple beer is much cheaper than bottled water.


please post a recipe.

thanks

http://www.hulettssugar.co.za/Recipe-Pi ... -Beer.html

Adjust the quantities according to the volume required. Leave it to ferment for 4 days instead of one (for increased alcohol content). Bottle for two days with a whole raisin. When the raisin hits the top, open and serve or the bottle will explode. Plastic won't work. Must be glass, or the expansion won't allow for carbonization. Better to stagger the bottling to get a more potent, but less tasty brew later.


sweet!
User avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: 30 Nov 2008, 16:09
Location: 北市



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Return to Money



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests

cron