Borrowing money as a foreigner

A resource forum for those interested in buying, selling, or developing a business; for questions about retirement plans; investing and basically any aspect of acquiring, keeping and increasing one's personal stash of filthy lucre.

Moderator: Charlie Phillips

Re: Borrowing money as a foreigner

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 26 Jun 2010, 20:49

First of all, what kind of business does you wife want to start?

Has she done the math, ran the numbers and it looks good, making sure to account for possible risks and deciding if there's a market or demand for the products that she intend to offer? If not can she create a demand?

How much does she need to start off, is it possible for her to start small with what she have or maybe save up a little bit, or even selling assets (such as stocks or bonds) and then start small and see how it goes?

Last thing you want is to go into debt and your business failing on you. It's like playing poker at Las Vegas!

DO NOT ever borrow from a loan shark, the interests makes credit card look cheap and you will be harassed, or possibly injured or murdered by gangsters if you don't pay.

In general banks in Taiwan doesn't just give a loan just because you want it. You actually need to prove that you are willing and able to pay it back. Even getting a credit card is a little more difficult than in the West.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1 Recommends(s)
91 Recognized(s)

Postby asiababy » 17 Jul 2010, 08:59

The Taiwan Small and Medium Business Bank has quite a good English site. Here is a page listing their loans available to help start-ups. I have never used this bank or tried to get a loan, I was just reading up some information from my accountants, who use this bank. It just seems to have potential as a more loan-friendly bank.

http://www.tbb.com.tw/wps/wcm/connect/TBBInternetEN/TBBInternetEN-Index/TBBInternetEN-Financial/TBBInternetEN-C03/TBBInternetEN-C0302/
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby Enigma » 18 Jul 2010, 22:56

I recall a class where I "gave" the students 1 million NT to start a business. The goal was to have an entrepreneur style conversation. After several different classes of this query I discovered:
1. A breakfast shop
2. A shoe store
3. A clothing night market stand

As you can see, new business people really have no clue about making a profit. Borrowing money to start a business is ALWAYS a bad idea. Would you loan me money to start a business? Doubtful. If it were me, I would want some collateral, wouldn't you? Do it without collateral or even with, the lender is going to loose his ass.
My suggestion is to start the business on your own money. Start small and prove to yourself and others that this is a good idea. After your a proven comodity, banks will be asking you to borrow money from them.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Money